1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to delete completed quests from your quest journal?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Leo the Kid, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Leo the Kid

Leo the Kid Yeah, You!

I have asked about this within the discussions area over at Steam, but it never went anywhere really, so I thought it be best that I also add the topic here.

To paraphrase from the post I made I'm doing a "New Game+" thing where I bring my old characters over to a universe that has been refreshed. However though the quests completed from the old universe does not wipe itself clean/delete itself when bringing old characters to the new universe, which means I won't get the quest "getting started" and instead will get the quest with Captain Noble assigning me to a new station because I already did them in the old universe. I wanted to have a clean quest journal when I enter the new universe, so I can do the main story quest all over again along with the side quests too.

If there is any way to delete completed quests from the character's quest journal, do leave instructions here for me and anyone else who's also doing this.

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I don't see a way of erasing your quest progress. Cause it seems there's no other file in the storage folder that can be deleted or modified, other than messing around with the file in the "player" folder. I think the progress is saved in there. Messing with it seems too risky. It might damage your character instead.

But, let the other here talks too. Maybe they know more than I did.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The quest progress is stored inside the player file. Messing with the file is not recommended and removing the quests in there will not restore the quests in the other universe(s) you're playing in. You can however transfer your inventory to a new character or use admin commands to start with the items and currency you want to carry over. You could even start with a fully upgraded ship if you wanted to.

4. Leo the Kid

Leo the Kid Yeah, You!

Well I have made backups of my old characters and universes through compressing them into zip files, so I wouldn't need to worry much if I decide to mess with their files, and if the quests does not show up when I enter the new universe then that is also fine since I can start it up using commands though I don't know if after completing one of the quests I gave myself will then start another. However though if creating a new character is the way to go instead, not having to deal with errors and waste time on something that can be seen as a hassle, then I would be glad to create a new character and transfer the items from my old character over to them.

If I'm going with the ladder option and create a doop of the old character though I do also want to transfer the ship over to them without needing to rebuild the ship's layout (as well as transferring crew members over. If that too isn't an option also then I could just use that "NPC Maker" mod to recreate the crew members). Is there some sort of way one can transfer a pre-built ship from an old character to a new one?

5. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Should be all stored in the shipworld file iirc. You'd have to transfer (or copy) the shipworld over to the new character by renaming the file to the new characters UID.

6. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

If I were you, my friend, I will leave my character just as it is. Don't want to mess with it. Especially the crews and ship design, they are a part of my important asset in my Starbound art.