1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Issues involving physics

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Silver_Eye112, May 28, 2016.

1. Silver_Eye112

Silver_Eye112 Void-Bound Voyager

So I've seen a lot of physics based issues on starbound. For an example when it comes to water then if you dig in the water deep and go left or right and dig up a bit then the water fills up too. Even though it shouldn't. Is this a bug? Probably not. Any of you seen weird physics that annoy you? For an example with items or throwing them and such. But the bigger question is. Will the water be fixed or not? It kind of annoys be because it makes underwater bases or so harder to build.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

The Wiki Discussion forum is for discussing the wiki (as mentioned in the name). Moved to Starbound Discussion.

3. Flandyrll

Flandyrll Void-Bound Voyager

That's not how physics work. Water pressure from the outside is pushing water into your tunnel and it goes past the ceiling because water can not only move down and sideways, but also upwards. What you're trying to do is making a U-shaped pipe and all it does is level out the water on both ends. Unless there is a way to create an air pressure to counter the pressure the body of water is exerting, there's no way to have an open exit without water pushing through your corridors. Instead, you can seal off openings and then drain the water with the matter manipulator or with Drains.

It's not a bug but a depiction of fluid dynamics.

AntiStoned, Alec5h and EdmundDuke like this.
  4. Lemony Shtickit

Lemony Shtickit Big Damn Hero

buddy you just got roasted

5. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the thing you see happening is how physics actually works, though it is somewhat unexpected because starbound is the only game to do this

6. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, it isn't a bug. It's the same principle behind communicating vessels.

7. dareddevil7

dareddevil7 Pangalactic Porcupine

If that's how physics actually works then how did the mythbusters go underwater with a boat on their heads

8. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

They made an air pocket using something (metal/wood) that water from the outside couldn't enter and air couldn't leave.

I'll counter your example with one of my own though, if physics doesn't work like that then how do we get groundwater?

EdmundDuke likes this.
  9. dareddevil7

My thought is that water washes over the ground and some seeps through into the cracks in rocks

10. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

That is kinda the thing, generally on Starbound where you might need an air pocket the water would just go through the dirt anyway. The main complaint though is from when people try to make a place deep within the ocean planets in which case water pressure will be a thing regardless of the blocks you may be using.

Going back to your boat example, there are depths of the ocean in the real world that are so deep that not even light can reach. While we can produce a light source the main issue we humans have is that our subs can only withstand so much water pressure until the sub itself get crushed. So even metal have it limits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_depth_ratings So yea, it isn't out of the question that the pressure of the water can become so great that it will literally force the air bubbles out one way or another. In fact getting air bubbles in your blood itself can be extremely deadly and can be caused by returning to the surface too quickly when deep sea diving, assuming the person survive it could prevent such a person from ever diving again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_embolism

In short, deep within the ocean is a scary place to be in and not because of the other living things you may find.

11. dareddevil7

I
    I know about crush depths, the twilight zone, and the bends. It's scary

12. Vilespring

Vilespring Subatomic Cosmonaut

Funny, when I noticed how water pressure worked in Starbound, my reaction was "Neat! first game to do this!"

This water pressure from gravity is how water towers work. The massive body of water is above ground, so gravity forces the water through the pipes and into homes. Water is heavy, and when there's a lot of water, there is a monstrous amount of force.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_tower
    "Water towers are able to supply water even during power outages, because they rely on hydrostatic pressure produced by elevation of water (due to gravity) to push the water into domestic and industrial water distribution systems" - Wikipedia

13. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

whats happening here isnt the water pressure from the other side of the tunnel, removing the blocks is creating a vacuum which is pulling the water upwards (as there is nothing else to pull). there was no air there in the first place

14. Vilespring

I believe there's nothing to do with air here, not to mention, I do not think air is simulated in Starbound. I will make a quick thing demonstrating the water pressure, not air, and edit this post with a set of pictures

EDIT: I made two water towers connected by a U shape hose. All closed, so air won't escape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the 3 pictures, one before, one during, and one after, the water stops when the height of the water is the same. Basically, when both ends of the pipe are in equilibrium. Both towers produce the same pressure downwards, thus no more movement of water levels.

Try it yourself, it took a minute to make!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  15. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I guess im wrong
    I seem to remember the devs wanting to add realistic water pressure (like having a cave with only a water entrance, mining the top of the cave would cause the water to rise) though this may have been me misreading what they were saying, whatever

16. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

It would be cool if this resulted in some kind of interesting gameplay instead of just being realistic.

Silver_Eye112 likes this.
  17. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Well, you can simply experiment with it in order to find some use for it.

18. Vilespring

If you can't find a use for it, you're not trying hard enough. :p
    I'm thinking of using this in my base's water system, as I'm failing to find a way to build a water pump.

19. Flandyrll

Flandyrll Void-Bound Voyager

I doubt there's any viable practical use for it. Water flow is not simulated so you can't use it as a means of transportation by letting a larger body of water push you up a vertical pipe and neither are items affected.

There are some aesthetic purpose for it though. You can use it to flood a room without the need for having water pour through the ceiling and it also allows you to pour water through a higher point as long as your main reservoir of water is positioned higher.

While you could just dump water from a larger pool in an adjacent room to achieve the exact same effect, this means you can route water through vertical pipelines and still achieve the same effect. It also allows the entry point for the pipe to be located at a lower point, which makes wiring slightly easier. Not exactly the most game changing functions but they have they might be worth something for people trying to implement specific functions to their room but can't afford other alternatives.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Like in Terraria, exploring underground, if you come across a big body of water, that's an obstacle that presents certain challenges. Obviously you can drown, it also changes the way you handle lighting, and there are aquatic monsters to contend with (and also there are some monsters that can't follow you into water which is neat). As far as the threat of drowning went, it was a real danger, but you could interact with the world to create air pockets. In Starbound, either you keep rising back to the surface, or you equip infinite breath.

It's more realistic, but to me it's more of a step backward in terms of gameplay.