Modding Discussion Item Ideas for a Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by PL4Y3R PT, Mar 10, 2019.

?

Would you download a mod like this?

1. Of course!

33.3%
  2. Maybe, if the items actually help me progress or decorate my ship

66.7%
  3. No, booooring...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PL4Y3R PT

PL4Y3R PT Tentacle Wrangler

Hey there! I'm currently thinking about making an immersive mod for Starbound, where the players can find every kind of items during exploring, ranging from new crops, animals and resources, to household, hygiene and lifestyle items, in the style of Hydrocraft for Project Zomboid. I'm doing this not only for fun (I love making pixel art, so many of the art work is already done), but because it somewhat annoys me seeing that in every game we only find items that are required to progress, and not "useless" items. Of course many of my items would have a purpose, like recycling, decorating, selling and trading. I'm already taking ideas from Hydrocraft and other games and mods items, but I need your help and opinions.

So, based on that, can you please name as many random items as you can? (and are willing to!) Items that you have at home or work for example, ranging from apples and TV remotes, to medicine and valuables. Thanks!

Ferid likes this.
  2. Ferid

Ferid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

An idea for you; You might want to look into expanding the trading function already somewhat present on space stations.

Instead, there could be a trading post at the outpost and randomly on worlds where certain ores (you could make more ores than are currently in game for this purpose), gemstones, old electronics (considered as relics or antique maybe?) all kinds of stuff could be bought and sold. Now, the biggest difference is appreciation or depreciation of value over time etc, creating kind of an interstellar stock exchange-like system.

You could even have the whole thing require a different currency than pixels, because face it, pixels are insanely easy to rack up. Monitored on the status screen like pixels and essence already is. That currency could be used to obviously purchase exclusive furnishings, weapons, gear, techs, mech parts, augments, pets, crops, recipes, the list is only limited by your imagination.

A big thought I know, but there it is.

#Edit; The npcs on worlds could be based on a random race-generated pool, but the outpost npc should be a set npc. Like, a gold plated glitch with high-class trading robes named Alhazred (that fleeting thought became awfully specific lol) who could offer a questline to increase your trader rank, earning you trading currency and access to higher class items etc. Just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    PL4Y3R PT likes this.
  3. PL4Y3R PT

PL4Y3R PT Tentacle Wrangler

That's really helpful, I definitely want to expand the trading system already present, but without changing the base game, so mods using this system can be compatible. My idea is to create different currencies for each species, that can be traded at the outpost. The only thing I have on trading is a very rudimentary idea of a junk yard where the player can buy and sell vehicles and salvaged materials and components.

I also have the idea of making some kind of decoration, probably a computer, that allows player to buy and sell everything on a "global market", but that thing about the prices changing is something I will be looking into, but I only have experience on basic items and crops, so... I also want to bring crops, animals, recipes, weapons and objects from Earth to the game, and many can be valuable and traded in pawn shops, since Earth was destroyed. Making NPCs will be hard, since I don't have many knowledge in modding.

For now my priority is to get as many ideas I can, so I can make a roadmap with other priorities. Crops, meals, ores and components, as well as goods for trading, will be the things I will mod first.

Thanks for your help!

Ferid likes this.
  4. Ferid

Ferid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No problem. I've never modded NPC AI behavior in starbound so, I'm not going to be much help to you there.

Keep us updated with your progress! I'd be very interested to see how this pans out.

There are other users on here who are responsible for NPC AI modding, race creation etc. I'd search the threads, find the users and message them directly. I'm sure they'd be willing to help out a fellow member of the community.

PL4Y3R PT likes this.
  5. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Phones, both flip and smart. Corded appliances (there are no outlets in Starbound!), a box of Nintendo(R) cereal, styrofoam cups, stick of deodorant, hand tools (claw hammer and/or mallet, saw, screwdrivers), CDs or better, cassette and VHS tapes, (pieces of?) signs or iconic posters/banners, boxes that specific products came in, flags, band t-shirts, canned foods...

For a dealer of these items, check out the Lana code to see how to randomly select only a limited number of items at a time and rotate the stock on a timer.

PL4Y3R PT likes this.