1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Item stealing enemies

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by joey4track, May 9, 2013.

1. joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

I think it would be great to have an enemy type that could possibly remove items from you at random if they hit you. Maybe a percent chance to destroy an item or something. Trying to suggest things to keep this game hard. I don't want RoR to go all soft on us :p

• PillowSyndrome

PillowSyndrome Starship Captain

I made a reply on another thread about this, there should be thieves that will raid your base your steal from you if they sneak up behind you

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

Are you talking about Starbound?? You don't have a base in Risk of Rain. At least not yet..?

• navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would be really cool if they did that without making them frustating (no item drop, fast, nearly invisible/silent, disappears etc)

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd rather avoid items being permanently destroyed but it would be interesting if a pack of the enemies gangs up on you, each takes an item and then you have to kill them to get the items back.

In fact the imps would be perfect for it, just have imps randomly appear sometimes and grab your junk, then you have to kill them to get it back. They run off but they don't disappear and just run around making life hard for you.

Event Horizon and MisterS42 like this.
            • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly - permanent Item destruction sound like a gamebreaker or at least a mood breaker. However, enemies stealing recoverable Items from you sounds like something that could make the game increasingly hardcore and more fun as you go along. Imps spawning would be nice, as long as it isn't the crazy teleporting Black Imps that already do so much to anger a player! :p

• Nixeras

No no, by imps I mean the little ones that you spawn from the (pretty rare) idol that if you kill all of them it rewards you.

• MisterS42

MisterS42 Void-Bound Voyager

I love the idea of enemies that steal items, but once you kill them you get them back.

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

But man, what if the director went all sadistic on you and spawned 15 Elite Electric Thief Imps that just stole all your tier 3 items and ran off to who knows where?

Jone991 and Restarter000 like this.
                    • Mobon1

Mobon1 Orbital Explorer

Adding that would piss me off to no end.

No one likes that shit, it's just frustrating.

• Nixeras

I'd like things like that. Perhaps though instead of the group each taking an item (Which could destroy a low level player) the group attacks you and only one of them takes an item. Only you don't know which, so you have to follow/destroy all of them to get your item back. You wouldn't be required to track them completely though because if an item is stolen from you a large "announcement" type message tells you what item it was, and you have an arrow showing you which direction the closest imp is. Also the imps would only ever take one or two hits to kill. No matter what level you are they'd never spawn as a boss or as anything more than an annoying swarm of thieves that you have to focus your attention on for a moment before reverting to the slaughter.

MisterS42 likes this.
                        • navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As long as they leave use items alone...

• Nixeras

Items are items, usable or passive. I feel like all items should be fair game unless specific to the item itself.

For instance perhaps if this WERE implemented, they could also implement a passive "protection" item. When imps appear they will swipe that item if it's in your inventory, then after a few seconds the imps explode. Killing them and damaging nearby enemies.

Either way the point is Imps as thief creatures would be a very fun mechanic to annoy/challenge players, and if they are going to steal items then it should apply to all of them.

• Shrooblord

It could get interesting if there was like this boss that spawns them as its special attack. After they steal your item, the boss recalls them and slowly but surely they make their way back to him. If they reach the boss, he will in turn steal your item and it will take you up to the point of his death before you get to recover it.

• Nixeras

Indeed. A fat lazy imp king sitting on a crude throne. It would have to have amassed at least a minor intellect to be able to command the other imps at least. It would be an immobile boss but the boss itself isn't the problem. The army of imps guarding it would be, you'd have to kill all the imps before you could damage because the imps would form a protective shield by chaining their bodies to block bullets/melee attacks. (Just a random idea.)

• Shrooblord

May be a bit overpowered considering there would be hordes of enemies spawning because of the Teleporter event or the current difficulty level. If you can walk through the chain of bodies, at least, so you can still move around, that would be better.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Then sir, you would be 100% screwed.

• Myth

Myth Space Penguin Leader

NOOO my brilliant behemoth!

Rage quit life xD

• Shrooblord

There goes my Infusion and my 12,000 stacked life that I need now that I'm on difficulty HAHAHAHA.

Well fuck.