It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Indeed, in WW2 the Panzerkampferwagen was built first on light vehicles meant for transport, as the need rose, they started adding armour in favour of functionality, however that decision was costly as the engines and engineering challenges were increasing dramatically, culminating with Indien Pz. Panther II, and Maus (yes, like mouse). However, one should never sacrifice a good design, specially in a franchise as silly as FO4 (really, explosive automatic shotguns? great way to blow yourself up).

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I have an explosive submachine gun, which has lasted as a good damage dealer for most of the game. I've been hoping to come across an explosive minigun sometime.

3. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I hope thats possible o.o I want one for christmas.

4. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

BTW anyone else think the fallout 3 Enclave power armor looks like something Batman would wear?
    Actually... now that I think about it it kinda looks like what Batman would wear when fighting Superman or a super-powered enemy.

5. Jonesy

The best I could find is the Ashmaker, a unique minigun that has an incendiary effect. But unlike the Spray-'n-Pray (the explosive submachine gun), you need to actually hit your target to deal damage. That, and not all enemies are susceptible to energy attacks.

Corraidhín likes this.
  6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ye know, thats what I am really diggin about FO4; different weapon types, not just small and big guns; but energy, beam(?), radiation weapons and they are changeable! I know I will spend a ton of hours just customizing guns I get. That and I want to make a "Padrino-esque" character, like the silver shroud uses a tommy gun and all.

7. Jonesy

My character's not really focused. As far as equipment goes, my hotkeys are;

1 - Kremvh's Fang (the 'sacrificial blade' upgrade moved from Kremvh's Tooth to a machete with bonus damage)
    2 - Deliverer (unique silenced 10mm pistol from the Railroad questline)
    3 - Two-Shot Musketeer (a semi-automatic combat rifle with the two-shot legendary effect, replacing the original Musketeer custom weapon)
    4 - Spray-'n-Pray
    5 - Electric Dreams (50 caliber silenced sniper rifle with bonus plasma damage legendary effect)
    6 - Shooty-Shooty Bang-Bang (silenced assault rifle with VATS boost legendary effect)
    7 - Brotherhood of Steel vertibird signal flares
    8 - Minutemen artillery signal flares
    9 - Frag grenades
    0 - RadX
    - - RadAway
    = - Stimpak

And this is all on a character wearing a vault 111 suit, polymer combat armor and a bulletproof fedora.

Tempted to try a new character, and make them more focused. Like a sneaky character for a straight Railroad playthrough, instead of my main character (who took down the Institute as the Minutemen, with the Railroad allied and the Brotherhood of Steel still alive). But I really want to try the Institute first, so maybe a heavy weapons + power armor build?

Corraidhín likes this.
  8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Jesus billy christ you are armed to the teeth! I know I will favour heavy weapons/power armour and a Mafioso outfit for when im out of the set, but I havent figured out what light weapons I would like, mostl ikely a sniper rifle, a pistol and a sxs.

Jonesy likes this.
  9. Jonesy

A sxs?

Sniper rifle and pistol sound good, since both can be silenced (thus stacking well with the Sandman perk and Deacon's companion perk). I'd also suggest something for middle-range engagements, too. I find that assault rifle ammo tends to be fairly common with the Scrounger perk kept up-to-date, and it too can be silenced.

10. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

oh sorry, sxs= side by side, a double barreled shotgun. Assault rifle huh? yeah, that would work perfect with the character I have in mind, I think it would look great indeed! btw how well does intimidation work in that game? I hated the Skyrim idea of it, its just the same as persuation, without sugar coating. I might also invest on science, charisma and... well, I dont know if I want perception, I am not a fan of VATS.

11. Jonesy

I've not actually tried intimidating anyone. I mean, why do that when I can just shoot them? It might be good for higher-level enemies, but that require perk points which I'm currently prioritizing elsewhere.

Perception's always been one of my lower priorities, but I'd say put at least four or five points into it. You'll get the bobblehead at some point, and might want to consider some goggles if you need an extra boost. Agility is probably more up your alley if you want a stealthy character. But regardless of build, Intelligence and Charisma are absolute musts. You'll want access to all the gear modding perks, as well as good prices for vendors given the scarcity of caps.

Corraidhín likes this.
  12. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ah ha, Charisma, Agility and inteligence... got it!

I guess... thats a really good way to look at it.

edit: I really must ask, I might just focus on 2, perhaps 3 settlements, I hate fast travelling, unless absolutely necessary, what are good, big, colourful settlements worth investing on? sanctuary is all the way on top, I wouldnt go there even if I get paid to do it. the lower part of the map has some interesting spots and tougher enemies, which means fun, but I could always do with suggestions, before I get the game and go full steam on it.

13. Jonesy

Excluding Sanctuary (which I use as my main base), I'd say the Castle. It's big, has plenty of flat land for crops, comes with a large water purifier by default and is easily defensible with the right approach. Location is in the southeast on the coast, and you'll go there as part of a Minutemen quest. Main downsides is that you need to unlock it through that quest, and part of it is blocked off until another quest. Both are tough if you're not prepared, but the payoff is worth it.

Starlight Drive-In is another good one. It's in the northwest, but not to the same degree as Sanctuary. Lots of flat land again, though perhaps not as much is usable for crops. But it does have a pool of water in the middle that can house a couple of purifiers, and two pre-war buildings (the screen and the diner / projector tower) you can work off. One of the few early-game vendors can be found at Drumlin Diner nearby.

Hangman's Alley is pretty central, located north of Diamond City. It's smaller than the others, but comes with a fair amount of prebuilt structures and can house a fair number of crops. No water, meaning you'll need pumps. And there are limited points of entry, meaning it's easy to defend. Just beware attackers spawning in the middle.

Murkwater Construction Site I talked about some pages ago. It's a good launching point for expeditions in the far south, but basically requires a lot of work to get off the ground and to keep defended since you start with next to nothing there. But it's satisfying building a safe haven in the dark and foggy swamp. Plenty of dirt and water, but flat land is limited.

Jamaica Plain is located further north of Murkwater, but is still south of the city. Its space is more limited, and the lack of dirt means few crops and pumps. But most of it consists of two pre-war buildings (one intact, the other half-destroyed but defensible), meaning you don't have to worry about setting up your own.

Otherwise... there's a house in Diamond City you can buy. Your ability to build there is limited, so you won't be planting crops, setting up vendors or establishing supply lines. But you can build crafting stations, and the marketplace is right outside if you need to buy and sell. Good if you want to use the city as a base of operations.

Chrillzilla and Corraidhín like this.
  14. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

The city huh? sweet, I never considered it. Thank you very much Jonesy! in that case I could have 4-5 settlements and the city as well, this is looking pretty good!

and man, wish I could have a security system like the one in Jamaica plains treasure chamber.

15. Jonesy

I guess spending all that time on each settlement paid off. I'm happy to help.

All this thinking about settlements makes me want to make a new character, level them a bit, then establish one settlement in the wilderness somewhere with myself as the sole inhabitant, and just live off what I can scavenge nearby. But I've tried stuff like that before (i.e. making a character and playing them in a specifically limited manner), and it's never lasted.

16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I kinda wanna try that, but I am terrible at such kind of playstyle. Like I want to play FO4 as a mobster out of a novel by Mario Puzzo, but also want to make that character skillful at armor and power armor usage. Not entirely sure how well that would work lol. Be sneaky, using pistols, the automatic silenced weapons you mentioned, snipers and... Power armor...

17. Jonesy

There are sort of ways you can make power armor sneaky, like by having a built-in stealthboy. But the penalty to sneaking renders it moot. I have a suspicion we'll see lighter, stealthier power armor in DLC at some point in the future.

18. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Thats the idea that started me on APA, there is this (going off topic) game where you have power armours (called power suits) and most of them are super bulky and durable, but there is this sleek and agile power suit that is extremely powerful and stealthy (teleport capabilities, short duration stealth) that also has very little armour. I kind of want to make APA look both feral, and strong, but at the same time agile, like a beast. X01 would be a turtle...

19. Jonesy

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the Chinese stealth suits seen in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I mean, they're not power armor, but who's to say there aren't some sort of power armor with similar design and functionality?

20. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Wow I just looked at them, they are quite impressive! perhaps I shouldnt design it as power armour, but rather as a suit like those, that way it can be stealth based... and it wouldnt need bloody fusion cores!