REQUEST Jewelry Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by HopeWasHere, Jan 16, 2017.

1. HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

Hey, I’m fairly new to modding and I don’t know if this would be possible, but is there a way to add items to the blacksmith shop for “upgrades”? Seeing as this is a spiritual successor to Harvest Moon, and I’m a big fan of those games, I thought maybe one of the features could be added. Specifically, the ability to take gems to the blacksmith to make jewelry gifts for the villagers. Other than being worth a lot of money (for some of the items) they don’t serve much of a purpose. And I know that there’s the combat jewelry you can craft for your own character, but I figured when you’re all done upgrading tools all the blacksmith is good for is geodes (unless you have a mod for that).

Anyway, I’ve been looking at different mods others have done; specifically how to add items to the shops, add new crafting recipes, and adding new items to the game:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/shop-expander.127913/
    http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/814/?
    [SMAPI] New machines (flour, sugar, vinegar, rice?)
    (^adding new craftables)
    [SMAPI] New machines (flour, sugar, vinegar, rice?)
    (^adding new items)

But none of them talk about adding items for “upgrade” like the tools.

Anyway, I’m no modder, so I thought I throw the idea out there. Maybe make it a trade-off like in Harvest Moon. It cost time and money to make jewelry, but it might be worth more profit. Would love to see a reason to hold on to my corals or diamonds or something. Anyway, let me know what you think or if it would even be possible.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
      feelreldan and Milkheart like this.
    • Igorious

Igorious Sandwich Man

Sounds interesting, but it's hard-coded, that means only Tool items can be upgraded. Also, there are no points of interception for Blacksmith location, so you can't just «insert» your logic to code.
      So, the answer is: it's very very hard, sorry :(

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
      • HopeWasHere

Thanks for getting back to me, I figured it was going to be difficult if not impossible. Would there be a way to work around? The only thing I can think of is adding more craftables that use these gems.

• Igorious

Igorious Sandwich Man

There are two standard ways to create items in SV:
          a) to learn a recipe and craft them in the Crafting menu (like all machines, some rings, baits and other);
          b) to get an item from a machine (like Furnace, or Tapper, or custom).
          First is easy enough, it just uses XNB packages.
          Second requires a mod. Seems, my New Machines Mod is outdated :(, but, maybe, another similar mod is exists.

• Balduranne

Balduranne Void-Bound Voyager

I guess it would make sense within the game to have a machine that cuts gems for usage in a recipe later, or just makes the finished product. Either way I'd be down to sprite that if someone could code it, lol

• HopeWasHere

That would be wonderful. I'm going to try my hand at learning this, and I'll let you know of my progress

• tearful0eye

tearful0eye Void-Bound Voyager

I would so love a mod like this... are you still working on this?

• Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

I don't think they are. But I wish they were.

• Snarkypie

Snarkypie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

there is a step by step tutorial in the New Machines Mod thread on how to add a jewelry bench to the game, which can be written to make rings etc from all of the gems. If someone wanted to update that mod, and Igorious agreed, that was a great (fairly simple) way to create new craftables, and use up all those gems

tearful0eye and HopeWasHere like this.