1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonesy's List of Starbound Building Inspirations

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Jonesy, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Hey, kids. Do you enjoy building in Starbound? I sure do. Hell, it's probably the main thing I've spent my time on in the game since finishing the main quest. And even then, it was a favourite pastime before that. I've built everything from tiny outposts to several honest-to-God cities and arcologies. A few of these can be seen here.

But sometimes, I draw from outside sources to help decide what I want to build. It might be a particular architectural element, or a specific building in a wider city, or an entire build. Thanks to Starbound's diverse range of building materials and furniture, along with its vibrant modding community, the building possibilities are quite astonishing for a 2D game. So, I figured I might share a few of my favourite sources of inspiration for Starbound builds, in the hopes that it benefits anyone who enjoys the building mechanic themselves.

Civilization Wiki - The wiki for the long-running Civilization series of strategy games. Since building cities is a key part of the game, it'll give you a good idea of the sort of things you'll need in them. In fact, given that the games span the ancient era through to the modern day and beyond, this can help with everything from a primitive Glitch city-state through to a shiny space-age metropolis. The Building (i.e. buildings built inside cities like granaries and banks) and Tile Improvements (i.e. buildings built outside cities like farms and mines) pages are the best places to look, while some of the Wonders (unique buildings that can only be built once per game, or in the case of national wonders once per civilization) might be worth taking ideas from even if you don't want to completely recreate them. Bear in mind that the building roster varies between games, so be sure to check them all. Civilization: Beyond Earth especially features many futuristic buildings and improvements that may be of interest. After all, who doesn't want a session in the Holosuite after a long shift down at the Biowell?

Alpha Centauri Wiki - A wiki for the 1999 strategy game from the creators of the Civilization games. This one is firmly a sci-fi game, focused on the colonization of a new world. The Base Facilities page has a good collection of buildings that any good space colony should have, while the Secret Projects contain some weird and wonderful initiatives a growing colonial state might undertake. Even the Factions page might offer some ideas, not only in regards to the ideologies a colonial society may build itself around but the physical aesthetic as well - note that each faction has an image showing what their bases look like. And don't forget - it's every citizen's final duty to go into the recycling tanks and become one with the people!

Stellaris Wiki - Another wiki, this time for the 2016 4X strategy game Stellaris. It's a very different beast to Civilization and Alpha Centauri, dealing with running an interstellar empire instead of a terrestrial civilization or space colony, but planetary construction is still a key element. The sheer number of Buildings and Planetary Management options is impressive, and is helped along by the fact that there's a multitude of different ethics and government types that you can play as (which, in turn, determine the things you can build). In fact, the Ethics and Government pages are good if you're after some ideological or political inspiration for your builds. I've certainly had fun translating Starbound into Stellaris, as can be seen here.

Cities: Skylines Wiki - For something different, here we have the wiki for the 2015 city management game Cities: Skylines. Pretty contemporary and in many cases mundane compared to the others on the list, but you'll get an idea of the kinds of infrastructure and public spaces a city might need. But there's some curveballs in there, namely the unique buildings and monuments. Don't forget the districts, either - how about a colony with eco-friendly self-sufficient housing whose biggest industry is information technology? Perhaps with a park area or two? Who needs a zoo with lions when you can have one with poptops!

Anno 2070 Wiki - A wiki for a game I never actually got around to playing, but has a setting I find quite interesting. You've got three very different factions, each with their own roster of buildings. There's a heavy emphasis on the production of goods, which itself might make for good inspiration. You could make a consumerist colony focused on making hamburgers and concrete, an ecologically-conscious colony producing tea and sustainable lumber, or even an underwater research colony which makes algae-based synthetic foods and neurological implants. The possibilities are endless!

Deus Ex: Invisible War - Probably the only video game I would recommend based on its architecture more than its story or gameplay. In particular, check out Upper Seattle (a platform-based city built above the decaying Lower Seattle in a rather extreme case of urban inequality) and the Cairo Arcology (a self-contained pyramid-shaped urban superstructure built in the middle of decaying and nanite-polluted Old Cairo in an even more extreme case of urban inequality), both of which have inspired some of my Starbound builds. In fact, I've based more than one in-game apartment on the Minister of Culture's penthouse in Upper Seattle. Though in my defense, it is a very nice penthouse... at least once you disable the lasers.

The Thief series - A trilogy (plus lukewarm reboot) of gothic / steampunk stealth games. Might look a bit odd on this list, but I did once make a Glitch city using this series as inspiration. The setting is a blend of Medieval and Victorian, with shades of Gothic and a few drops of Lovecraft to boot. The struggle between civilization and nature (as well as order and chaos) are a central concept, personified by the Hammerites and the Pagans. Arguably, The City (the sprawling city-state in which the game is set) is its own character, from the areas you visit down to the architecture. Perfect for ideas for a Glitch build, or a colony with some very hipster Humans.

Blade Runner / Blade Runner 2049 - Should be on any self-respecting sci-fi fan's to-watch lists. The original film is one of the most influential science fiction films of all time, and the sequel an adept expansion of the world while remaining a phenomenal film in its own right. Both are a wealth of inspiration for cyberpunk cityscapes, with 2049 even venturing beyond the confines of Los Angeles to give an idea of what life is like beyond the sprawl. Expect crowded, garbage-filled streets drenched in neon, and lingering questions on what makes us Human. Or Apex. Or Avian. Or...

New York 2140 - A 2017 climate fiction (or 'cli-fi') novel by Kim Stanley Robinson. Set in the eponymous city in the titular year, 2140 is set in a world where rising sea levels have partially submerged many of the worlds coastal cities, but advances in adaptation technologies have (at least in wealthy cities like New York) allowed them to adapt. What interests me about the novel is that it's in some ways a slice of life - there are a range of characters, linked by them occupying the same community in the MetLife Building, who each follow different professions and lifestyles in the 'SuperVenice' of Manhattan. Might give some good ideas for a colony partially built into the ocean, though whether the ocean or the colony came first is up to you.

That's all for now! If I remember any others I've forgotten, I'll update the list later. But I hope this list gives you a couple of places to start if you're stuck for ideas, or are looking for inspiration for that next big build.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Building buildings has always been my favorite things to do in a game. From Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, and many other building games. Building has always been my thing.

I usually take the idea from Civilization (just like you), and Total War. Especially, if it's about castle or military-related buildings.

Jonesy likes this.
  3. Armorine1983

Armorine1983 Phantasmal Quasar

Building bases is my favorite thing to do in Starbound (currently building a huge base on an Artic planet). When i build things i usually take inspiration from the Unreal Tournament games (that games series always inspires me) and every so often i use the Civilization games (more so from the Beyond Earth games) much like you do as inspiration. I do occasionally use movies like The Thing and the Alien movies as inspiration (i usually build bases with a ton of turrets to keep my citizens alive on the higher tier planets)

Jonesy likes this.