Just saying "hi neighbors"!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Jul 15, 2019.

1. GeekWoman

GeekWoman Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am brand new to Stardew Valley. My son is a game designer and plays a little of everything. He recommended SV to me as a good break from the more intense games I enjoy. Oh my what fun!

I've completed my first full year and am half way through my second spring.

My goals are to have a nice farm, family and good friends.

I chose the river template largely because I like rivers, lakes and ponds and I THOUGHT fishing might be easy. It's become the bane of my existence. Even playing on PC, I get so mad when that little fish jumps up, down and back up in the span of two seconds. But I digress.

Just got myself a boyfriend (Alex), 6 chickens who apparently love me, my house had been expanded to have a kitchen and I'm still in the process of making chests to get things moved around. I hope to marry Alex by the fall but we'll see how that goes.

Still trying to find my way on balancing making a living and enjoying life. Not a fan of the mine but I've made it down to level 45 so far. I found that spending more time there in the winter seems to be a good idea.

I still don't have a "plan" for the farm yet. I've been looking at all the amazing farms I found just by googling and looking here. I know many of them are "for show" as opposed to working farms. I hope to eventually have a farm I'd be proud to post here.

Anyway, wanted to introduce myself to the community. Hi neighbors!
    ~Rhiannon

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Welcome to the forum!

You mentioned looking at farms for inspiration? There's a subreddit for that - Farms of Stardew Valley.

EDIT: Note the links on the right for sorting by farm map. Makes viewing just the riverland farms easy.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
        GeekWoman likes this.
      • Skinflint

Skinflint Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And just in case you hadn't perused it yet, this forum's own thread for farm showcasing (mine's on page 45 *broad grin*):

https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/show-off-your-farm.108973/

Welcome, welcome, fellow fishing hater! I have >1500 hours into Stardew and still adore it; the great thing about the game is there's no "wrong" way to play, and by corollary, there's no punishment for not playing the "right" way other than requiring more time (OK, sometimes A LOT more time, but there's at least the option). I don't wanna spoil by saying anything too specific, but game progression reduces demands on player time for crop maintenance and income. It took me several years to develop a plan for my farm; don't be shy about giving yourself all the time you please. Congrats on discovering this wonderful game.

GeekWoman likes this.
        • GeekWoman

@BentFX Thanks for the direct link for the Reddit for those images. I'm not a Reddit user and would never have discovered that myself. I love looking at all the amazing farms and trying to figure out why people did what they did.

@Skinflint I Have indeed started looking at that thread here for additional ideas. Unfortunately I started at the beginning of the thread which is almost three years old and a lot of the images are gone. I should probably go to the end and go backward.

I think from these two sources, I should be able to download a few that I like and mix/match to come up with a plan for my growing farm

Skinflint and BentFX like this.
          • Jedediahsmithy

Jedediahsmithy Void-Bound Voyager

Hi! I'm new too. Love Stardew, so easy to get lost in it for hours on end :). Hello neighbors!

Skinflint and GeekWoman like this.
            • MsSniz

MsSniz Seal Broken

Hi @GeekWoman and everyone else here. Nice to meet another new farmer @Jedediahsmithy

I wandered into the wonderful world of Stardew 3 weeks ago and was instantly hooked. I've had zero luck with fishing (broken glasses, anyone?) but otherwise have befriended most of the villagers, got myself hitched (just kept my farm clothes on for that... no time to buy a dress), and now have some happy cows, goats and chickens. So I'm still having loads of fun!

GeekWoman likes this.
              • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Your trash chances decrease when you fish further from shore, and your max fishing distance (as well as the size of your fishing bar) increase with higher fishing level. Have fun with Stardew!

GeekWoman and MsSniz like this.
                • GeekWoman

I actually discovered that I LIKE getting trash due to a certain item I got along the way (don't want to spoil it for MsSniz). What a fun three RL weeks it been with this delightful game! I will agree that fishing has been the bane of my existence all this time but I'm determined to figure out how to get better at it. Just got my new Iridium rod yesterday which I think will improve things greatly. Winter has arrived in my second year so I'm hoping to spend some quality time working on that now that my crops are gone for the year (however did get my greenhouse and put a few things in to test it out).

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Fishing actually gets easier the more you do it - it's harder when you first try it because of the small bar to catch things. There's also a mod to make the fishing easier in that the fish won't jerk around as much

GeekWoman likes this.
                    • GeekWoman

Today I fished with my new Iridium rod with a cork and bait and it is much easier except when the darn thing jumps to the top, bottom, top, bouncing all around. I don't want to use mods. I'll just keep working at it to get what I need. I'm three (EDIT: TWO) fish and 2 apples away from finishing the community center, which I consider a pretty major accomplishment.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019