Chat Kaede rants about stuff nobody cares about.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kaede Grimwater, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

So, I want to rant about stuff people will probably never read nor care about. Let us get started then!

First off, the spelling of alot of english words makes no sense, and nobody pronounces them how they are spelled anyway. Since I was always taught to spell by sounding it out because my teachers are idiots, this makes spelling a number of words incredibly frustrating. So expect spelling errors. Also grammar and punctuation, it is very very confusing.

Now that I have explained why reading my rants will make your eyes bleed, let's talk about Neptunia. There is a game called Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed, this game revolves around beating up tons of monsters, so that you can unlock better ways to beat up tons of monsters. Another feature is that the clothes on the girls can rip up and get battle damaged, many like this feature, I do not, luckily you can unlock clothing that doesn't rip. Don't get me wrong though, I love me some battle damage, it is just my flavor of battle damage is not particularly suited to the Nepverse. I prefer my battle damaged clothes to come with scratches, cuts, bruises, blood, and sweat. For an example of this, go watch any major fight in Dragon Ball Z. It doesn't really matter though, because most of the time I am not looking at the girls, I am looking at the monsters as I slaughter them all in GLORIOUS ANIME VIOLENCE with BEAMS EVERYWHERE! Can we talk about the beams for a bit? Beam guns, beam cannons, FIST BEAMS, yes there is a character who raises her fist and fires a beam at things. Anyway, later on you unlock a mode that allows you to pit the characters against each other tournament style. Speaking of Dragon Ball Z, the tournament arena is almost identical to the world tournament arena from Dragon Ball. This mode is fun for a little while, and you can unlock nice things like unlimited SP, SP is used to cast skills you see, unlimited SP equals unlimited beams. Just two things, two very computer through window things, and their names are Vert and Blanc. These two will melt your hp bar right quick, so you should hope they lose the tournament before you have to fight them.

When am I supposed to put a space? This is getting to be a bit of a wall. Eh, who cares, nobody will care about this post anyway.
    For that matter, why am I writing the nonsensical post when I still have six endings to go on Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2? One would think that I should be making progress on that given how long a single playthrough can be. But for some reason I crave the social interaction that comes with the forum life, which is weird because most of the time I dislike interacting with people. I suppose it is nice to have people around, so that I can admire them from afar. Enough ranting, I have work to do! Take care everyone.

2. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

Kaede, don't think like that! Of course people are going to care about the post

Anyways, hearing the way you talk about these games makes me want to play them, though sadly I don't have the money to buy them [​IMG]

MilkCalf and Kaede Grimwater like this.
  3. Kaede Grimwater

I suppose some people might care. But I don't grammar well and that drives people up a wall.

Firepaw Da Cat likes this.
  4. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

It doesn't really bother me, as long as I can still understand what you're trying to say [​IMG]

Kaede Grimwater likes this.
  5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Noice more rants!

6. KookyKeronian

KookyKeronian Parsec Taste Tester

I like rants. Everybody rants sometimes, including me. Hey, I'd rant here if this wasn't your thread and if my rants didn't have an absurd ammount of swear words so it would probably violate the forum's rules.
    I approve of this thread, rant away.

MilkCalf and Kaede Grimwater like this.
  7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Just turn the swears into to stuff like fuf, shihs or crarc

8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

As a teacher myself... I know the way we work makes no sense... and thus use a different system almost by semester. Language is an evolving creature, and we have to keep up with it. Unfortunately for a half-baked language such as English, that is a very frustrating matter. Sometimes we do not even agree on what punctuation should be used and when... speciall with ";".

As for Neptunia... oh I know the frustration some enemies can cause in games, specially those hyper-fast anime-esque games based on beat em ups. Theres always some weird tactic to them that is not obvious at first, then you discover the exploits. I suggest thinking on the fight, practicing a bit, sleeping on it, and try again. Good luck with your ending hunt!

9. Kaede Grimwater

More ranting!

Today's topic is: People who say they want challenge in their games.

I do not understand this concept at all. Is it not enough that a game be fun? Does it really have to be soul crushingly difficult, and filled to the brim with stress inducing trial and error? Call me casual, call me whatever you want, I have been gaming since the NES, your insults mean nothing. I am not saying there shouldn't be any difficult games, just that not every game should be difficult. I honestly don't even know how to rant about this. I am just so sick of seeing games go down the hell hole, because people want more challenge. One notable example is Star Trek Online. Starting around the Delta Rising expansion, this really started to be a problem. So much so that nowadays, if you don't have the top of the top end gear, fully upgraded and optimized, you are getting nothing done fast, if at all. Those that do have this gear, are still clamoring on about the game being to easy. I feel they won't be satisfied until they are insta-killed, the second they start a mission.

Maybe someone can explain to me why this is a thing. Because honestly, I don't understand it one bit. Games should be fun, not work, not stress inducing. I already live a incredibly stress inducing life, i don't need my source of de-stressing to add more stress. If any of you out there, who having nothing better to do than read my crappy rants, understand this whole I want a challenge thing, please explain it to me.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Preach it!

Seriously, I don't like the "Dark Souls" or "MLG" crowd either. They go "I WANT MAH CHERRENGE!" and they are always making suggestions for adding more tedium to games, and if you speak out against it, or if you suggest things to remove tedium they go "UR DUMBING DOWN TEH GAMEZ!"

Here's a bit of a cluephone for the MLG crowd: Tedium != Challenge. Repetition != Challenge. Waiting != Challenge.

None of these things have anything at all to do with challenge in a game. No, grinding my eyeballs out for 100,000 pixels to buy (insert item here) isn't challenging. It's boring. No, having to wait 30 minutes for a crop to grow isn't challenging. It's boring. No, having to do (insert repetitive easy activity here) 1,000 times to get something isn't challenging, and most of all....

RNG != CHALLENGE

No, giving an item a 0.0001% drop chance does not make it "challenging" to get. I'm sorry, it doesn't. Once you defeat said enemy 5th or so time, you've proven you've mastered it and can kill it consistently, then there is no further challenge to be had in killing it the next 5,000 times to get that item.

I got SO sick to death of this mentality when I used to play Warframe, when they had the old Void system where you had to go farm a key, then you went into void, and you had probably a 5% chance of getting the item you wanted.... oi.

Boring Repetitious Grind is not challenge. It's padding. And in case of games like Warframe, it's to push you towards buying the item with the real money currency.

11. Kaede Grimwater

Wow, someone actually agreed with me?! I expected everyone to hate me, because I dared to speak out against the challenge crowd.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I can understand having some challenge, but the problem is, the kind of stuff that the challenge crowd usually asks for isn't what I call challenge.

When a boss is hard because his attacks are difficult to dodge consistently, or you have a small window of opportunity to hit him, and it takes skill to defeat him, THAT's challenge.

But even then.... I'm a huge believer in OPTIONS. Games since the NES era have given you different difficulty settings, so you could have your Easy / Medium / Hard settings. They can be simple or complex, but I have always supported it.

Games like Ys are rather good at this. They are beloved by hardcores and casuals alike, because there's always the Easy option if you can't handle Normal. And some of those games even add a "Casual" option that's even easier than Easy, to the point you'd have to TRY to lose to actually get killed, lol.

But for the people going for Hard or ... eeew... Nightmare... the game is incredibly hard.

13. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pff, get serious. English is not really that frustrating language (pronunciation of some English words sure but grammar compared to Serbian's or even worse Russian's is lemon juice ). Besides 60% of native English speakers I met (especially Americans ), have worse or know less about English grammar than me.

Also, what you wrote is actually really interesting, so I doubt that something like "grammar perfectionist", is going to put off people from getting intrigued.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Same is true for most languages: foreigners tend to be more precise with the language rules than native speakers, because they want to make sure their attempts at communication are understandable, while native speakers have gotten comfortable with the language and are more prone to using slang, bending the rules, taking shortcuts, etc.

15. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can't argue with that.After all, when I hear some of my friends in my native language ..... *Rolls eyes* :) I just wanted to point out, that worrying about such thing as laying out everything, grammatically perfect is nonsense and If someone has problem with it, then he is stereotype or hypocrite

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well personally I prefer to at least be mostly grammatically correct.

If you break too many grammar rules in common speech/writing, then you end up looking like a young child or an idiot.

However, I don't go so far as to be a grammar nazi either. There are common sense things that everybody should know.

17. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

I like rants. I like your rant. :) Mind if I vent here every once in a always? ;)

18. Kaede Grimwater

Sure I guess.
    --- Post updated ---
    And then I started ranting again!

So here I am, trying to think of a plot for a Hyperdimension Neptunia fanfic. Only one problem, every plot line that pops into my head, I later find out the Neptunia games already friggin did it! It is like trying to keep up with the simpsons! Does this make me as clever as the writers? Or are the plot lines just so simple that a child could think of them? I mean to be fair, I probably couldn't write a story if my life depended on it, because I am a uncreative idiot. Still, I would like to at least try. trying is good right? I don't want to get too outrageous. I want to make it something that could feasibly happen in the Nepverse.
    Thinking about it, my kind of story might turn off a lot of Nep fans, because I don't bother with fan service. Fan service is a bit pointless in my opinion, I am playing a game to be engaged in the story, not to ogle girls and/or boys. But fan service seems to be a rather big part of the Neptunia games, alongside tons of video game references and nonsensical humor. I did have one idea on the noggin that I bet they haven't done yet(I think). It is really crazy, and kinda unfeasible, but still technically possible. I am not sure if I like the idea, it is really stretching the bounds of the game's lore, but still technically possible. A nice fallback I suppose.

That is it for this mini rant. Take care everyone.

19. Kaede Grimwater

Why....
    Why do people seek challenge, specifically such masochistic challenge? To willingly put oneself through hardship seems illogical. Why are games like Dark Souls fun? Why is suffering fun? It is all so damned Illogical!

Some people say it is because of the satisfaction of finally overcoming a challenge. If I overcome a challenge, the victory at the end is the farthest thing from my mind, I am more concerned with how many failures came before it. Yet, some people enjoy failure, some say if you win all the time it isn't fun. This is also illogical, is victory not your goal in the end anyway? Failure is...a horrible feeling. Games that rely on multiple failures in order to obtain victory, how can this be fun?

I have this urge to know what goes through the mind of some gamers. How do they find enjoyment in failure? Why does harder equal funner? It sure would improve my enjoyment of some games if I could handle failure better.

Sir Wilfrey likes this.
  20. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

What fun is taking part in something if you can't express yourself about it?

Plus I think the universe would pop like a zit if there wasn't a good rant here and there...

Sir Wilfrey and Kaede Grimwater like this.