1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Traditional Kira's box of Lame Misc Cat Art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mythril-Jelly, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So uh... Never done an art thread before? Might as well start eventually I guess. I really need some pointers to help improve so if you know a good bit about anatomy or clothing styling or anything, I'd love to hear your advice.

Before you look however, be warned I'm one of those crazy cat lady types. So while I draw lots of fantasy creatures and constructs like ghosts and androids, many of them end up looking feline because I think it's adorable. Anyway, uh. Here's the stuff:

Here's a pretty old picture from way back in 2014. I was still in school back then and had a lot of spare time on my hands, here's my interpretation of the Lihzahrd race from Terraria. Somebody even suggested I mod them into a Starbound race, funny enough. One of the few backgrounds I'd ever drawn! Pretty sure it was done in Math class. Boy, I needed that Life Fruit.
    [​IMG]

Next uh, a Space Pirate cat "Namira" who I designed to be the star of a comic which never happened, but still might someday. Her poor crewmates have only been colored on one drawing. Oldest to newest, please be honest, how is the improvement?

Practically ancient concept for comic cover art:
    [​IMG]
    First close up portrait, pretty old. You can still see my signature half cropped off!
    [​IMG]
    The second, more recent portrait. Not as much effort went in, as I'm working on re-designing my facial style. I feel like I may have taken a step backwards.
    [​IMG]
    First finished concept for her armor, I love designing non-ridiculous armors for female characters and I feel like I'm putting a lot of designs to shame when I do so... but I still have a long way to go otherwise.
    [​IMG]

And the first thing I did in 2017, an example badge but still fun nevertheless!

[​IMG]

Next, Malice. An old antagonist I had re-worked from a childhood vision Mary Sue. Essentially made more stylish and given several weaknesses. Don't want to be too tough or it gets boring. I'm looking at you, Superman.

Unarmored:
    [​IMG]
    Armored:
    [​IMG]

And another... The mechanics. We have Roxxie (Red hair), Nexxa (Bright orange), and Arakou (Boy with goggles). Poor Ara hasn't been drawn in a while by me, so he'll be excluded for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the last of the "important" characters, Jiin the Golemancer. Lives with her sisters and her weird dad who firmly believes himself to be a fish, Sal Monroe. Get it? Salmon Roe? I'll see myself out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And so I don't go around with pointless categories, a bunch of random things:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, that's pretty much anything and everything that isn't two minute practice, a forgotten sketch, or charred beyond recognition.
    Please leave any constructive criticism you think of no matter how small! I'm looking to improve my art, and I rarely ever get feedback. So yeah, that's all for now.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Wow...that's....amazing!

3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

So when I look up, I read "Kira's box of Lame Misc Cat Art".
    I don't know why did you put in the word "lame".

4. Wyream

Wyream Poptop Tamer

If your art was food then It would all be in my mouth right now, this doesn't make sense but that's okay because this is some of the best art I've seen in a long time, I don't even know what I'm typing right now, not sure if I'm complementing your art or what I don't know, I actually forgot what I was doing here but okay, wait what ?

5. Mythril-Jelly

Well, thanks everyone! I'm trying and all but tend to be dissatisfied with how it turns out. Just got to keep practicing I guess. I'm wanting to either make a career out of it or animation in the future so I've got a fair way to go before I reach that standard. And wanting to re-learn digital because pens lack an undo button, yikes!

Jareix Cryvix, Arra and Lodish like this.
  6. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I'm not into furry but damn...your detailing is better than mine! Your art is very nice!

Your mech details are so good. Soon, I'll try to practice on that too. xD

I can't see anything wrong with your works.. all I can say is.. make more! xD

7. Mythril-Jelly

Aye, been in a mood to make a lot of scifi things with all the Starbound I've played lately. Drawn a lot of helmets tonight trying to get ideas for my silly comic..

Firstly, a spacesuit helmet for an Grounded Avian, was meant to keep a bit of crystal tech.
    [​IMG]

Next, concept art for a Pirate spacesuit, specifically Namira's.

[​IMG]

Hidari, Crossfang and Lodish like this.
  8. Mega flapper

Mega flapper Existential Complex

I love your art! :kitten2: moar plz!

9. Mythril-Jelly

Granted! Haha. Was pretty determined to actually finish this one since I liked the sketch, made some flaws but hopefully not too obvious of such.

Anyway, here we go:

It needed to be purple, of course.
    [​IMG]

Looks way better than the old concept I did ages ago:

[​IMG]

Might as well update the original post I guess?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  10. Mythril-Jelly

It's been nearly two weeks, yikes. Got two big projects I'm working on in the way of my art hobby, a full body cosplay and a 3d "Cirilith" attack frigate.

That aside I'm also working on something big in terms of art, as I really needed to update the Space Pirate cover art concept with 2016 designs. This one will feature a fancy forested background full of alien plant species, it makes more sense than putting them in space without helmets you know.

Sneak peek:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: added more junk because why double post. Seriously, why double post when I can fix my hair and do lame art. Hah. Here you go, lame October sketches:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Hidari and Lodish like this.
  11. Mythril-Jelly

Not dead, spent a lot of time working on a helmet and finding a matching jumpsuit and LED's. Done with the shopping list at least, so hopefully it'll be completed this month.

Think I'll do some more work on the character lineart tonight as it likely needs to be finished firstly.

Took a break from the main picture since backgrounds are tiring, ended up crying over cute cat pictures and drawing something lame. Hoping to get back on my normal schedule soon, jeez.

[​IMG]

Hidari and Lodish like this.
  12. Mythril-Jelly

Busy month's nearly over. Just a few more days on these projects and maybe I can get back on track... I sure need the rest first though.

Speaking of art, tonight I did my first animation in nearly a decade. With MS paint. Using a laptop touch pad. It was painful.

I know it's not traditional and therefore contradicts the section, but hey?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Hidari, Lodish and Crossfang like this.
  13. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Adorably Angry. wait wot. xD

14. Mythril-Jelly

Three more days. Gettin' spooky up in here.

Main offline project is finally done, so I can finally focus on other things.

Other things like gettin' spooky.

[​IMG]

15. Mega flapper

Mega flapper Existential Complex

I still love your art

Mythril-Jelly likes this.
  16. Mythril-Jelly

Not really a picture I a ton of effort into, but I got bored while a movie was on and drew this. Same character as above, Roxxie, but younger before losing her eye.

[​IMG]

17. Hidari

Hidari Over 9000!!!

I love your stuff. ^^ I would like to see more, sometime!

Lodish likes this.
  18. Mythril-Jelly

Thanks! I'll certainly continue to do art for years to come, it's sort of a dream of mine to get somewhere with it.

But I will say I've been a little moody, so it might be a little while until I have anything worth sharing. December usually cheers me up.
    (Because when I try to draw moody, it turns out looking like this mess, haha. Don't need to do that.)

[​IMG]

19. Hidari

Hidari Over 9000!!!

I know the feeling--really! (Your picture is still adorable, though.)

20. Mythril-Jelly

So apparently turned 20 yesterday and it was lame but OK I guess? Actually fixed my hair and looked presentable for once, so that's uplifting.

Got a little bored and did some concept for a background character, a programmer for the robot fighting arena.

[​IMG]