1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Klok's Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Klokinator, May 5, 2014.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Big Damn Hero

Heya guys! Been playing this game for a while now and I had some suggestions for it :) I do know the developer is in college and I totally get what that feels like, never any time to work on the game. Nevertheless, I have some ideas to make it more polished and fix stuff up a bunch! My ideas are focused on balance and UI overhaul, mainly. I'm aware this was made in Game Maker and I am also aware of the limitations for that, though not fully explicitly. I hope someday when you're out of college you recode this in a more popular and powerful language, like the one starbound or terraria is written in.

1. Modding support. I've seen this mentioned many times, and it's also been pointed out that the game is made in game maker, so it probably can't be done right now. Still, I wish it was moddable. Cut a man some slack for having a dream.

2. "Stats" Pause window. I hate that I get all these upgrades, but the timer is always counting down and aside from after defeating the teleporter boss and clearing all the enemies away I never have a chance to really take a break and check my abilities and things of that sort. Pausing the game means I can't hover over my items and abilities and see what I have! Also, it'd be neat to have a stat screen that showed all my variable stats, like critical rate, health, etc, in their "vanilla" form and then have a +#### beside that of the bonuses to that stat.

3. When I pause, and press "Back to main menu", suddenly the text goes super tiny, and it's like "Are you sure y/n?", so can you make that text the same size as the rest of the menu text and not suddenly jump to the very top of the screen?

4. I would like it if by pausing I could view the items logbook to see a detailed analysis of each skill as I'm playing. Getting some legendary artifact, like say the Ukelele, for the first time, and having a useless description is funny and amusing sure, but it's hard remembering what each of the 50 items does exactly so a menu where I can get a refresher would be great.

5. Along the same idea as modding support, maybe a level editor would be nice? Doubt that's doable in GM but hey, it's a thought.

6. More items! How about these:
    ---- Item that makes you take no fall damage.
    ---- Double jump boots, less rare than the jetpack, more rare than the boots that only let you jump slightly higher than normal and reduce gravity.
    ---- "Sticky Boots" item that lets you jump on and stick to a wall in a stationary position. You can't climb up or anything like that, but you can jump off and away from the wall.

7. I also have some thoughts about the classes and how they need just a little tweaking.
    ---- Sniper: Why can't I aim my gun? That would be the perfect niche for this class! If using mouse and keyboard, mouse fires and aims. If using controller, R-stick aims, L-stick moves. Makes sense, right? And if you send out your little drone that boosts crit against the most powerful enemy, you should automagically aim at that enemy no matter what. The huntress has the ability to run while firing, so being able to aim in any direction with the sniper rifle would be badass.
    ---- Bandit: I like the bandit, but I also hate him. Right now, his only good attack move is the ridiculously spammable RT attack. The TNT is useless. Lights Out is good but situational, and since the TNT sucks, I end up only using Lights Out to finish an enemy instead of dropping my cooldowns, though just using my normal attack does the same job. I propose adding a 2 second stun to the TNT, OR boosting its damage a little bit, OR maybe making it drain life to the player. Smokebomb is great though, a real lifesaver.
    ---- Commando: I just dislike commando in general. I've seen quite a few people on this board swear by it, but it's just so bland. If the penetration shot had like 1 second faster cooldown, I'd have no complaints damage-wise, but right now unless you get exactly the right upgrades, you're a sitting duck by the time the second world arrives if you don't find that gate. The enemies swarm you and you can't just dive-roll your way out. I do think Commando is great on a team, however.
    ---- HAN-D: I find this class useless in the lategame. Not fast enough DPS, etc. No idea what to do to fix him, maybe I just need to get better at the game.

8. Am I alone in wishing this game had a map that filled in as you explored a level? I really wish it had that.

9. You missed a word here. "randomly marked" should be "randomly marked enemy".

10. When I bought this, I thought it had randomly generated levels. It does not. I am sad. If you ever remake this game or work on a sequel in a better language or anything of that sort, I hope you put in randomly generated levels. :D

11. It would be nice if there was some way to revive a fallen ally. When you're playing two player and one of you dies, the other has to just sit there and wait for the other guy to die, finish the game, or give up. Alternately, if you could make the dead guy's abilities and items pop out for allies to pick up from where he died, that'd be sweet too.

12. Ability to drop and trade items. When I accidentally grad a healing item and my ally needed it more, it'd be cool if I could drop it and let him grab it instead.

I could add more, but I'm not even sure if this'll be read by the devs. I've betatested many games before so I tend to look for things like this. Hope it's of use to you guys.

Last edited: May 6, 2014