Landing on the Sun

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Hueman, Oct 9, 2013.

?

Landing on the Sun for resources?

1. Yes

32.6%
  2. No

67.4%
  1. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

Would it be at all fun or possible to land on the sun? The sun could provide some rare element, such as 'Solar Element.' I am not talking about a burning planet here either, Im talking about an actual star.

I do realize that for some shred of realism, the player would have to have some pretty specialized gear to even get near a star, much less land and harvest. However, sunspots are cooler spots and could, if we stretch our imagination, form the solid land that the player could walk on. It would be in this 'land' that the 'Solar Element' would be found.

Because I'm not posting this in the Items and gear section, I wont go into great detail on said gear. However, something would be needed to be used to make armor and mining tools to gather the 'Solar Element' and be able to visit the star in the first place. The 'Solar Element' could then be used as ammo for a gun of some sort, or forged into a 'Solar Blade' type weapon, or even into a set of armor that set enemies on fire. This element would be rare and an end game resource.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Eh, don't really like the sound of landing on a huge ball of intertwined superheated nuclear reacting plasma. Also it's a STAR! NOT A SUN! sorry!

AstroBlast likes this.
  4. NFossil

NFossil Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure suns even have land.

Facethelight, cyberspyXD and MEWMEW like this.
  5. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

No.

Facethelight and MEWMEW like this.
  6. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

Well, the resource of the star would have to be pretty epic to tempt the payer to journey there. As far as calling it a star or sun, I put sun in the title so people would understand at a glance, but if you re-read my post I do call it a star.

They dont. We cant travel to other planets either, but thats in the game.

7. MEWMEW

You do use star...Once. Also, is the gear the only thing to be found on the star? How will you be able to see when you're practically standing on one of the brightest sources of light in the universe?

Actually we can.

Dano and cyberspyXD like this.
  8. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

"The 'Solar Element' could then be used in a gun of some sort, or forged into a 'Solar Blade' type weapon, or even into a set of armor that set enemies on fire plus it glows." You don't find any gear on the sun, just resources to make gear.

Sunglasses.

Hey, its obvious you don't like my idea. I don't want to get into an argument here, I was just throwing out a fun idea. Besides, Starbound is a game, not a precise factual presentation on the universe. So lighten up a bit :love:

9. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

This is just insane though. If you cant land on gas giants I doubt you can land on the sun.

MEWMEW likes this.
  10. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

okay, thank you for your input.

11. MEWMEW

I'm lightened up as far as the light switch goes, buddy! All I'm saying is that this has been suggested at least 100 times before, and this is no different. Even for starbound this is idiotic. The devs aren't going to say "Hey ya know what'll be super cool man? If players could land on STARS! Woa! Dude! I mean, even though they can't land on gas giants or any other physically unlandable celestial body, we could make the STARS landable, because LOGIC! Woa!"

12. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

Well then, I apologize for being repetitive. I thought I had searched through the forums looking for some one who had already posted on this subject, but apparently not.

13. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Also this will conflict with the temperature system I (think) they are putting in place..

MEWMEW likes this.
  14. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

Well, the game IS called STARBound. Just sayin'

15. Cag

Cag Void-Bound Voyager

Landing on a star is a little too silly though. Starbound isn't exactly hard Sci-Fi, sure, but there's something about landing on stars that just cannot be taken seriously, prolly since we're going to have two thoughts going through our mind, and that's "Should I instantly vaporize into gas?" and "Isn't this star big enough to crush me through its sheer gravity?", which is going to be distracting to no end. Besides which, there's not exactly a whole lot on the surface of stars, just hot plasma. Doesn't exactly inspire the idea of exploration much. There isn't exactly a whole lot to find interesting of basically another planet where you dig for stuff, and that's it, when you can hop onto a planet, look around for dungeons and loot, cut down trees and build things.

MEWMEW and cyberspyXD like this.
  16. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

But you do not starBOUND toward stars right :p.

MEWMEW likes this.
  17. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

"...the player would have to have some pretty specialized gear to even get near a star, much less land..."

:rofl: Im really wishing I hadn't posted at all now. Hahaha :laugh:

18. Cag

Cag Void-Bound Voyager

Well, suggestions are suggestions, they don't cost much to post, but it does help when we have a better idea of what it is you have in mind, or something more detailed, since otherwise your idea will get ripped to shreds, but well, do understand it's nothing personal. We all do want Starbound to be the best game it can be, but cramming everything in won't make it that.

MEWMEW and cyberspyXD like this.
  19. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

I absolutely agree with you there. :)

20. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Refer to the third image in my signature.