Landing on the Sun

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Hueman, Oct 9, 2013.

?

Landing on the Sun for resources?

1. Yes

32.6%
  2. No

67.4%
  1. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

Having plant or bird people walking around killing cats driving mechs is not how hunting works. Having hover bikes is not how commuting works. Using a little hand held thing to levitate torches or dissolve the ground is not how work is done. But youll notice, all of these are in the game....because...It....Is...Fiction....

2. lordofpowies

lordofpowies Subatomic Cosmonaut

But it could be how they work in Starbound. The plant characters aren't how plants work either.

Hueman likes this.
  3. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Because... It... Is... The... Future

Clockwork likes this.
  4. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

See my reply above anyways I expect the different types of planets to at least be faithful to what planets are.

5. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

cyberspyXD likes this.
  6. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Lol I remember seeing this before :p. Perfect reply.

7. lordofpowies

lordofpowies Subatomic Cosmonaut

Alright, alright, I'm wrong. Jesus.

8. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

Your argument for there being possibilities in the future also supports the notion of exploring gas planets or stars.

9. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Nope. Good thing science carries over to the future right.

10. Skudge

Skudge Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds like a great way to get a bad case of the hot foot.

Hueman and cyberspyXD like this.
  11. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

Based on you not arguing my previous post ending with "Fiction...." you are clearly okay with the game having walking talking plants, birds and Nova kids...all of which are armed with rifles and swords. You insinuate that "Because... It... Is... The... Future" that all of those are plausible, possible not-insane ideas. Yet, you draw the line because the sun is hot, and gas giants have such great gravity with no land. Its logical (no pun even though we are talking in a sci-fi forum :rofl:) that any argument or reason for allowing said birds/ plants/ solar people to be in the game also supports the initial idea of walking on the sun.

That being said, this thread is becoming all to heated (pun intended) and I respect your opinion that the original post is not a good idea. I was just throwing out what I thought was a fun idea to share, not to nit pick.

12. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

This is Sci-Fi of course you got wimpy birds and man eating plants :p (And uh star cowboys?).

Hueman likes this.
  13. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It honestly wouldn't make any sense to "land" on a sun. For one you wouldn't be able to truly really land (or walk) on it, what with it being non solid matter. Sure the characters in game could have a tier level that allows them to get close enough (but not land) to sift through a star to get resources, but that would likely be a near end/end tier.

Hueman and cyberspyXD like this.
  14. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

That idea I like. Using a ship to filter. I was just going off the existing block based form.

Yes, i belive it would be best as an end game/tier thing. (I did point that out earlier, but agree with it none the less ;)

15. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do dead/dieing suns that won't turn into a blackhole have solid ground? If so then I guess you would be able to land on them.

16. Clockwork

That's not how that works.

cyberspyXD likes this.
  17. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

But there is a core in all planets. It would just be pretty foggy, not very much land, and definitely would kill you if you didn't have the correct gear.

Hueman likes this.
  18. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

In the first post I posted some facts about the sun HAVING a core, and actually being made up of VERY rich SOLID minerals.
    Technically it is possible if you make something completely heat resistant while keeping you cool inside. Still this would be like endgame stuff for balancing.

Hueman likes this.
  19. Clockwork

Well that core happens to be molten iron, and that fog happens to be several earth diameters of super dense, super heated metallic hydrogen. Sooooooooooo I don't really know if anything could survive, much less enter, a gas giant's core.

cyberspyXD likes this.
  20. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Once again this would be end game stuff. It would be like swimming in molten lava, standing on mindboggling hot silly putty. Also another reason it would be end- game stuff.

Hueman likes this.