1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Less Magma Worm.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fox0427, May 13, 2013.

1. Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

I've played about 5, maybe 6 or 7 games of Risk of Rain on normal. Every time, the boss of the first level has been the Magma Worm. Don't get me wrong, this boss is fun to fight and all, but it gets annoying having to fight every single time I play. Does he have a really high chance of being the boss, or am I just getting him every time by chance? I'd like to fight someone, or something else on the first level. Like the Wandering Vagrant! Or maybe the giant golem guy! It's quite annoying.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

It's chance.
      The Wandering Vagrant and Stone Golem bosses can also appear in the first and third stages.

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

Whatever happened to the electric blue worm? I have not seen him in the beta.

Evangelion likes this.
        • Shrooblord

Maybe he was too overpowered and they removed him.

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

I finally got a different boss!

• Combiecola

Combiecola Space Hobo

Yeah the only problem at this point is that theres only three bosses possible for the first round and I believe that the magma worm might have the highest chance to spawn. I see golems quite frequently as well but the wondering vigrant seems to be slightly less common.

• Joskineide

Joskineide Astral Cartographer

Once it bugged out and started spawning bosses like mad, it seemed that the spawn ratio to the magma worm is 50% , vagrant and golem are about 25%, since the only one I had 2 on screen all the damn time were the magma worms

• Shrooblord

I think it's all based on luck. I've seen as many Magma Worms as Vagrants, but nearly no Stone Golems. Some people have seen more Vagrants than Worms. Some people, probably, more Golems than Vagrants...

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

I almost always in previous versions seem to get the vagrant but so far haven't seen him in the update and mostly get the worm or golem.

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

I generally get Vagrant on the first level... about 60% of the time. The remainder is pretty much always a golem. Worm... maybe 10% of the time?

Also I was wondering about the Elite Bosses(Blue Worm) too. I think they'd be more challenging than the current ones. Everything except the Cremator is pretty much a walk in the park. Would be nice if they added some elements to them.

• Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Nobody mentioned the Ancient Wisp...I hate that giant purple dude

• Combiecola

Combiecola Space Hobo

Ado: No one talked about the Wisp because he can't appear on the first level :p I think he can only appear on the fungus level.

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

It's all up to chance, really. I think I get about an equal amount of Vagrant and Giant Golem on stage one and less Magma Worm, then I get almost only Ancient Wisp on stage 2 with Magma Worm making up the remainder and I think I only saw a stage 2 Vagrant once. Then in Stage three it's predominantly Golem and maybe one or two Vagrants.

This is annoying, though, as despite how many times I've beaten up the "universal"/multi-stage bosses, I still haven't gotten any Logs to drop for most of them (only Wisp, Cremator, and Toxic Beast, which is ironic because I've only made it to Stage 4 ONCE and only seen one Toxic Beast in that time). ...Well, not true, I got Magma Worm's log to drop once, but it was on a cleared save and not my collection save.

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

Magma worms seem more common to me as well but I think that is because they can appear on any level. I see less golems OVERALL than magmaworms but see them in larger numbers on stage 3 and about equal on stage 1. I rarely see vagrants on stage 4 but they seem to be the most common boss type in general.

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

It's all even chance. The cost to spawn an elite boss is equal to two normal bosses.

For the next update the magma worm aims towards you when it comes back down, which makes it pretty difficult.

Engio likes this.
                                • Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

OH GAWD!

• Shrooblord

I like the idea, but I can't imagine how hellish this will be when there's four Magma Worms on-screen! xD

Fox0427 likes this.
                                    • Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

Just hope they all jump at the same time...

• Spamster

Spamster Poptop Tamer

I often get magma worm or giant stone golem on stage one, occasionally a vagrant. On stage two it always seems to be the worm or ancient wisp, although I have noticed that sometimes I don't get a boss on stage two, just a bunch of powerful elemental greater wisps. (Does that count as the boss?) On stage three I almost always get a vagrant, sometimes a stone golem. Since beta I don't remember getting a single magma worm on stage three. On stage four it's always the toxic beast or the cremator, with about a 50/50 chance. Is it actually possible to get other bosses on stage four?