Let's talk geography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gamecuke, Mar 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gamecuke

gamecuke Void-Bound Voyager

So let's talk about where stardew valley is. We know it must be on at least a minor fault line with a temperate climate. With a mostly Caucasian population. It must be seaside. It must have dramatic season changes. Im guessing somewhere in the where Greece would be. What is your thoughts? The Caucasian aspect is the most difficult tbh.

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

If you moved it over a little to Italy that would hit all the boxes would it not?

• gamecuke

I feel like i should say. "But that's just a theory.... a game theory!"

• gamecuke

That's a theory as well i think the best assumption is Mediterranean sea area.

• Afterscore

Alternatively you could just say it's Bournemouth in the UK and it wouldn't surprise me with how much weather the fluctuates there. Hot summers and frozen winters would match the dramatic season changes and the UK has enough minor earthquakes a year to warrant making it reasonable to assume a small one that simply dislodged a few rocks would happen.

• gamecuke

My only argument against that is this thread that i was in a couple days ago. Stardew is its own city state-esque type deal so that aspect works well with all the weird government relationships that goes on in the Mediterranean

• Afterscore

It's a fair point but considering it's a fictional place it could very well just substitute for a country that already exists. There is no Gernfill Republic, or Gem Sea or Gotoro Empire in our world so why would there need to be a Mediterranean or United Kingdom in theirs? Tit for tat.

• Godot

Godot Big Damn Hero

The architecture and building material (wood instead of stone) speaks of USA.

Also the presence of Salmon excludes any mediterranean countries (like greece or italy), as you cannot find Salmon there in nature.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Either it's weirdly in the future and most modern countries have collapsed or on an entirely alternate Earth with different geography and nations.

• Jagore

Jagore Big Damn Hero

I don't think Stardew is an earth planet. None of the city names or nation names match up. Its a different planet with an unknown history and a lot of context missing. The major religion seems to be worshiping Yoba, there is magic but it also seems to have a lot of modern technology... but swords and monsters? and people write letters rather then call on phones?

Gotoro Empire seems to be an eastern Asian themed nation. Kent mentions they fed him sushi while he was captured there.

But overall there are far more gaps then answers in regards to the world at large. Something that can be expanded upon later I guess. But the Republic certain does seem representative of a westernized nation like the US.

• Afterscore

They do have telephones as illustrated by Leah's 4 Heart event. Mail works better in the game than having to listen to 5 voicemails every morning I think.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Maybe magic screws with electronics? Makes it less reliable or something? (If it breaks pysics, whatever they're like on the planet, it would make sense for this to be the case to some extent.)

• Afterscore

Possible but the Television works flawlessly, and they have batteries for other electronic devices that don't seem to fail.

• gamecuke

I don't think it could be U.S. mainly because 1. that's much too easy and 2. there are very few sea side locations that match the criteria for Stardew. The fault lines, Remoteness, and dramatic season change. Further more i'd like to point out a small detail that further supports Mediterranean sea. Sardines are abundant there just as they are in Stardew as well as the calm waters, another characteristic of the Mediterranean.

• Afterscore

• gamecuke

If I'd have to choose a place in america though i'd pick the west coast somewhere. A bit north from the middle of California because there are some locations that fit that. to an extent but i can't see it being in the U.S.

• gamecuke

Thats No fun though. We need a challenge. Now The salmon thing. The problem with that. Or the problem that gives us is it's only in cold climate waters. What now? it seems to put us at a halt. And i forgot to mention it must have proximity to desert's and mountains. Which leads me to believe the best location is slightly north california San Francisco level. or even in this alternate universe right at it's position.

• Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

It's in an alternate Earth where California has much less population.

• gamecuke

And the U.S. goverment does not exist yada yada I was hoping to suspend reality as little as possible but saying the geography is a good

• Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

I was lowkey hoping there'd be an Asian person before I bought the game to be honest. Meep. (If I squint hard enough, Sebastian could be Asian).

Don't get me wrong it's wonderful as it is, I just really like seeing Asians represented because I like to have someone to relate to.

Geography related, I'd say Oregon. Feels like Oregon to me.