WIP Letters from Grandpa - Playtesters Needed!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by The Monday Modder, Oct 14, 2017.

1. The Monday Modder

The Monday Modder Void-Bound Voyager

EDIT: I haven't worked on this mod over the last two years, and kind of fell away from Stardew for a bit. Now that I'm getting back into it, I remembered this mod I was working on. Unfortunately, I no longer have the word document I typed up the letters on; all that remains is the file linked here. If anyone would like to carry on this idea, either using the existing content or starting from scratch, please do so! I'm turning my attention to another project, but it'd be cool to see this one out there some day.

Original Post:
    Hello all! I'm excited to introduce you all to my first Stardew Valley modding project: Letters from Grandpa.

Introduction
    Letters from Grandpa simply adds a series of letters received throughout the first three to four years, written by your Grandpa before his death. These letters contain both helpful tips and stories from Grandpa's time in Pelican Town. The latter letters serve to expand upon the lore hinted at throughout the game.

Content
    Currently I have written 18 of these letters, spanning from the very first day up until Winter 10 of Year 2. I plan to have about 40 or so by completion. Of the currently existing 18 letters, 7 are excerpts from Grandpa's journal and 11 contain tips/advice or just loving correspondence.

Playtesting Info
    I am currently looking for playtesters to provide feedback on three topics:
    1. Letters containing Gifts: Some letters contain gifts from Grandpa. I'm not sure if I wrote this into the file correctly, so it needs to be tested. So far, the dates containing gifts are Winter_4_1, Winter_25_1, and Summer_5_2.
    2. Content Opinions/Suggestions: What do you think about the letters, both the ones containing advice and the ones expanding on the lore? What else would you like to see in these letters from Grandpa?
    3. Screenshots: Feel free to share any screenshots you take while testing this mod!
    Download
    The file is attached below. Included in the folder is a readme explaining how to install the mod.

Thank You!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

This is a delightful idea! I'll play test it for sure!
      If I find any bugs or anything, I'll report back to you!

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

If you ever consider turning this a SMAPI mod, this might help you: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1536/?
        You could implement more conditions to receive the letter than just time, and put any kind of item in letters.

I was looking into you file, and there is something that might not work.
        I noticed that at winter_4_1 you are trying to send the item ID 520, a "Slime Charmer Ring".
        The problem is that a ring is not a regular object, and as far as I know, you can only send normal Object(item), Big Objects(bigobject),tools, money, cookingRecipe or craftingRecipe thought the mail.xnb
        Also, every time you place a normal object ID, you must follow with the amount, so even if it would work, you have to do "520 1"

I have not tested your mod, but I strongly suggest you to try day 4 of winter soon.

Edit:
        By the way, it's a really nice idea what you are doing. Keep it up.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
        • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I was about to recommend the same mod, Digus!
          And I also noticed the ring problem, glad you covered that up for me, and in a much more informed way :p

Other than that, everything seems to work on my end!
          (Though, if you could, upgrading your mod to a SMAPI using Mail Framework, it would be a lot easier for compatibility issues!)

• The Monday Modder

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I'll look into the SMAPI this week

• Feenie13

Feenie13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll definitely give this a try when I have the time, I'm super interested in this! Will there be an option of some sort to view past letters?

• The Monday Modder

I hadn't thought of that; I'll have to look into it. All the entries will be compiled in a text doc with the final release for reading outside of the game, but I'm not sure how I'd be able to make them readable at any time in game. Thanks for your interest!

Feenie13 likes this.
                • KungfuSarah

KungfuSarah Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I know I'm late to the party but oh my gosh I love this. I was just gonna ask if you're planning to continue this, I would love to know how the stories end. If you can't find the time/motivation that's fine, but if you need any help feel free to let me know! Either way, thanks for making this :)