WIP Looking for Help - Real Actual Families Mod!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by .Lavender., Mar 30, 2019.

1. .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello, I recently posted here that I am working on an (albeit CP mod, but still working!) actual family expansion mod!
    https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/pregnancy-events.145945/#post-3334624

I'm looking for people with experience with making CP packs and writing/coding events and dialogue to assist. I've been rather busy, so it's a bit ambitious for me. I'll still do it for sure, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for help. :)

It's pretty early right now - so far, I have a working child NPC (using Jas' sprites). Their schedule isn't working, but dialogue does. I'm mostly looking for people to help with events and schedules, and maybe dialogue too.

I'll post updates here too!

HeyItsDuke and HopeWasHere like this.
    • HeyItsDuke

HeyItsDuke Void-Bound Voyager

Man, that sounds great! I'd be glad to help, but I have virtually no experience at all. I just started making content patcher NPC's last night.

Good luck though! I'll keep an eye on this.

.Lavender. likes this.
      • .Lavender.

T
        I appreciate it. Let me know - if you can do CP NPCs, that'd be a good help.
        I'm still kind of learning myself - 1.3 changed schedules, and also custom NPCs are always changing on how to implement them into the game. I always have to relearn it haha.

I also may appreciate people who can do sprite work, since the toddlers will need portraits.
        I was going to use "Babies Take After Spouse" and change the sheets to make sure they're NPC-able.

But first things first, is getting the actual NPC 100% done.

HeyItsDuke and HopeWasHere like this.
        • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

I can do sprites and portraits, I love this idea and would love to help any way I can to see it happen :)
          Just let me know what you need/are looking for

• .Lavender.

Lovely! Thank you so much!
            For now, I'm starting off simple - doing actual NPC versions of the three vanilla "ages".
            Baby (easiest- no schedule or anything. They have non-portraited "action" dialogue in response to gifts and being talked to. No sprites or portraits needed.
            Crawler - going to use the sprites in vanilla, but would need portraits maybe? Dialogue will be "not having yet learned to talk-talk"
            Toddler - actual dialogue. No luck yet with schedule, but if so was going to be just them wandering around the upstairs farmhouse room.

So basically need "young toddler" (no walking or talking) portraits, and "actual toddler" (walking and talking). And may need to make their own sheet for the crawler stage.
            I'm going to reach out to lilipea and ask if I can use the sprites from Babies Take After Spouses

In the future, since I've seen it requested and some Harvest Moon games had it, maybe a child and teen stage?
            But I want to avoid future creep, so we'll get there if we get the first three ages done.

HopeWasHere likes this.
            • HopeWasHere

Alright, seems simple enough. So if we're doing it based off of the Babies Take After Spouses, we will need one of each of these for each spouse:

Dark skin female toddler hair buns portrait
              Dark skin female toddler hair pigtails portrait
              Light skin female toddler hair buns portrait
              Light skin female toddler hair pigtails portrait
              Dark skin male toddler hair combed portrait
              Dark skin male toddler hair messy portrait
              Light skin male toddler hair combed portrait
              Light skin male toddler hair messy portrait
              Dark skin baby portrait
              Light skin baby portrait

There are 12 vanilla spouses (if we include Looking for Love, there's 9 additional spouses), meaning we're looking at 120 different vanilla portraits, 210 different portraits if we include Looking for Love spouses. That may be a little excessive to start, so if we cut the portraits down to:

Dark skin female toddler portrait
              Light skin female toddler portrait
              Dark skin male toddler portrait
              Light skin male toddler portrait
              Dark skin baby portrait
              Light skin baby portrait

That leaves us with 72 different vanilla portraits, 126 different portraits if we include Looking for Love spouses. We could cut it down further just for an initial release of the mod to no spouse specific portraits/sprites. Leaving us with either 10 portraits (going off of what is in Baby's take after Spouses) or 6 portraits (the cut down, one of each skin color/gender). It could be made easier if the portraits were mostly the same, with minor changes depending on the spouse, but I think it would make for a better mod to have each kid look as different as possible, especially if it would work with multiplayer and other farmhands also had kids. I also like the idea of teenagers, or at the very least, Jas and Vincent aged. But I agree, that may be a bridge we have to cross later

• .Lavender.

I'd say definitely do not do Looking For Love just yet.
                That's already a lot!

Thankfully being smol kiddos, we may not have to have them be all too unique and different. And once one is done, we can simply recolour them.

My first goal however is to get the actual coding part done. Just in case at best, CA announces tomorrow he's released a patch with this mod's features and more or at worst, I can't get it to work and we have to abandon it.
                I doubt that though - they're already functional NPCs in game which is the hard part haha.

Also thank you for offering a hand!

Also also, I posted WIP screenshots but accidentally in the other thread instead of this one. Whoops!
                https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/pregnancy-events.145945/#post-3334866

HopeWasHere likes this.
                • HopeWasHere

Sounds good, I'll get some basic portraits done. What emotions are you looking for? I was thinking Neutral, Happy, Sad, Shocked. Any others?

HeyItsDuke likes this.
                  • .Lavender.

Definitely just the basic ones: neutral, happy, sad, angry.

I'm currently still working on the scheduling. I've always been terrible at coding it - it never wants to work for me, haha.
                    I was suspecting they were having trouble finding paths, but I gave them Lewis' schedule and nope, still standing still with their back to the player.
                    I checked and doesn't seem to be a syntax error but I don't know? If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

• .Lavender.

Alright, seems like babies are good to go. You can't reach them to talk to them, but eh they're babies. What are they going to say and do with gifts? LOL
                      Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 5.00.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 4.59.59 PM.png

I've also attached what I have so far if anyone wants to take a look and see what I'm doing wrong with the scheduling.

Attached Files:

HeyItsDuke likes this.
                      • HopeWasHere

Here is the first attempt at a crawling baby portrait

Edit: Added the first attempts at a toddler portrait, I can't figure out how to make the hair look right, so if anyone wants to give it a try please go ahead

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
                          HeyItsDuke likes this.
                        • .Lavender.

Not bad to start with! The crawling age looks awesome!

I'll try my own versions. Take a break from the coding part for now and work on the fun stuff like sprites and dialogue haha.

HeyItsDuke likes this.
                          • leyalluna

leyalluna Void-Bound Voyager

OMG This looks amazing! I'm planning to do seasonal toddler outfits(in the long future...) and I would love to do a compatible version to this mod if I can! I'm looking forward to it!!

HopeWasHere and HeyItsDuke like this.
                            • HopeWasHere

Toddler Trial number 3, went with an older kid this time, so he might be a little too old to be considered a toddler. Again, not sure what I'm doing with the hair

Edit: Added the full portraits as a test
                              Edit 2: Added the hair from trial 3 to the head of trial 2, think it looks a little better, and definitely younger. Trail 3 looks like a 4 year old
                              Edit 3: I created an age progression chart from crawling baby to adult with this model in mind. This is just a test

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
                              • ProbsAlex

ProbsAlex Yeah, You!

I could totally help out with dialogue! I've actually redone (for personal use, haven't released them) several of the bigger dialogue expansions to fit my tastes (I redid all of Abigail's major dialogue mods to change everything to refer to her as male, if you were wondering). I would love to help out with this project as I have been hoping for something like this! I love the idea of a real lil family. Especially a pregnancy expansion- Seems a little lackluster for the fem farmer to be like haha ok, and nothing changes besides two dialogue additions to your spouse, if a het couple.

• .Lavender.

Oh thank you! I already did some pregnancy dialogue, but I think in my time from testing, I never came across a line so more is welcome!

Also, posting here as an update. I know I just got back into SDV modding, but I've been having major troubles with my arm and shoulder so don't think it's a good idea for me to be at the computer modding currently. :(
                                  I hope to be better soon so I can get back to working on this!

• ProbsAlex

ProbsAlex Yeah, You!

I don’t know how familiar you are with adjusting when dialogue will occur, but I’ve been playing around in the xnb files and once you learn what all the little tidbits are, it’s fairly easy. Now, I don’t work too much with content patcher but I’ll try my hand at it. I figure this mod will be more centered on the actual toddler dialogue so that will have to wait until the actual npc is working well, but I can work on adding in dialogue for the NPCs based on how many kids, how old they are, etc. I was thinking something about how they want to talk to penny about maybe teaching them a couple things, etc.

Also, I hope you feel better!!