1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Lucario Race 1.3.4 2.2

Now you can be a fluzzy Lucario!!!

1. Zancuno

Zancuno Existential Complex

Zancuno submitted a new mod:

Lucario Race - Now you can play as a fluffy Lucario!!!

Read more about this mod...

2. DaWrecka

DaWrecka Pangalactic Porcupine

Found a problem; The player.config.patch is malformed. The line:
    Code:
    { "op" : "add", "path" : "/species", "value" : "lucario" },
    should instead read
    Code:
    { "op" : "add", "path" : "/species/-", "value" : "lucario" },
    As it is, this breaks player.config and every other race mod breaks in turn.

Additional problems; Your dialogue patches are also malformed, which is leading to NPCs causing Lua errors and being killed by the engine. As an example, guard.config.patch:
    Code:
    [

{ "op" : "add", "path" : "/hail", "value" : {
       "lucario" : {
         "default" : [
           "Keep your aura calm and tempered.",
           "Watch yourself, strange one.",
           "As long as you stay peaceful, you are welcome.",
           "Don't tread on the lives of others, okay?",
           "We will be vigilant if you cause trouble, so don't.",
           "Don't disturb one's way of life."
         ]
       }
    }
    }

]

Which seems to be deleting the entire /hail table and replacing it with yours, (I was under the impression that using the "add" operation with a path that already existed resulted in a failure to patch, so this is confusing) which has only entries for lucario and not for anything else - which results in NPCs not being able to find the dialogue they need, crashing the Lua script and being deleted by the engine.

Nearly all of the NPC patches are malformed in this way, which means, among other things, that even when a non-Lucario NPC doesn't immediately die, they're naked because their equipment table has been deleted.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. Zancuno

Thank you for reporting that, I'll get right on it!

4. Zancuno

I think that may have been a blindside on my end. I have been working on the mod alone without many other mods. I have not used other modded races or heavy change mods to Starbound. I'm going through tests now in the test world I have built and debugging as fast as I can. I always wanted to add the Avali to my list anyways :rofl:.

I might be able to get this fix out tonight.

Edit: Fixed the whole species problem. I had other people I know try it out and send me logs.

I found the guard problem.... which is something that has haunted me... one of the reasons why this mod was taking so long to make a stable beta was the guards. No matter what I did, I could not get the guards to spawn correctly. I have actually patched the lucario race into the main game. Although it seems my guard.npctype.patch file was the culprit. For some reason... it was overtaking the other species.... for reasons unknown. I had been working for months to find a way to patch the lucario guards in correctly to no avail. When they finally seemed to work, I guess I didn't test normal guards and this oversight went unnoticed. I may have a solution, which I will try out soon. Although it may mean that future updates that change npcs (like all of the recent ones to improve performance) done to the game will break the guards again.

I have tried many times and many different ways to patch my guards in, but the base game just doesn't like it. I will just have to make a new npc guard type.

I see that this has also affected other villager npcs as well so I went ahead and had to make files for them as well.

It seems the game doesn't want me to patch the lucario into their npc types.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  5. Zancuno

6. 7x9000

7x9000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, I've found an issue with the mod, it seems.
    Whenever I try to do the first mech quest, it lets me stay in the mech for a few seconds before automatically despawning it. This doesn't happen with any other race mod, so I think it's this mod.
    I mean, the mech isn't a huge thing for me, but it's still there.

7. Zancuno

If you could supply a log file that'll help. I'll go and try to recreate the problem.

Edit: I believe I have found the issue. I had previously tried to patch a mech for the Lucario race. Although it seems the game already gives a default. The patch was probably messing with the mechs. I'll post an update.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  8. Zancuno

9. DaWrecka

Dialogue patches are still broken, leading to non-Lucario NPCs erroring out of the game entirely when they try to talk.

As an example, here's guard.config.patch:
    Code:
    [

{ "op" : "add", "path" : "/hail", "value" : {
       "lucario" : {
         ]
       }
    }
    }

]

And here's what it should look like:
    Code:
    [

{ "op" : "add", "path" : "/hail/lucario", "value" : {
         ]
       }
    }

]
    As before, your patch is entirely replacing the /hail table with one that only works for lucario-race NPCs. Nothing has changed.

All of your dialogue files seem to be malformed in the exact same way, with the same results. I used guard.config.patch as an example only.

Another malformed file is cropshippergui.config.patch; you try to add four entries to the acceptItems list, but instead what you're doing is REPLACING the list with your four entries. Sadly there's no way to add multiple entries to an array or table at once in a .patch. You have to do this instead;
    Code:
    [
       {
         "op" : "add",
         "path" : "/acceptItems/-",
         "value" : "chestoberry"
       },
       {
         "value" : "pechaberry"
       },
       {
         "value" : "chestoberryseed"
       },
       {
         "value" : "pechaberryseed"
       }
    ]
    A lot of your patches have the same malformations in them; Unless you're using a replace operation, your path should never match that of an existing property. Otherwise you get things like this.

EDIT: So apparently, replacing the existing value is behaviour defined by the JSON standard when using the "add" operation. Which makes me wonder what the point of the "replace" op is.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  10. Zancuno

This is very odd...

Okay I may have to look into the hail if I can trigger it but a little comment on that. I can't do /hail/lucario as the path. I have to do /hail and then add in the coding I want. Lucario is not a base game asset so if I do not define it being added in the first line of every patch, it will not recognize it as an index. Thus it won't apply the patch.

Sure my patches seem a little weird, but they do work. Although I have not had a single problem with the "add" functionality somehow being a "replace". I have the crop shopper working fine on my end shipping out both the modded assets and base game assets.

... I have a feeling that this may be something client side on my end... Do you use any mods that change Starbound drastically??.. I may have to see if this is something that is not visible to me because of a lack of a large list of mods.

Oh and a log file is always helpful. It can help point out specifically what the problem is to back up what you are saying. The log file is a mess these days but a couple of re-reads and I can find the process it errored on.

Thanks for posting all of this!!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask this. Are those NPCs that are glitching out when talked to happen to be Apex and Novakid? I am having a bit of trouble with them as only certain npc types of Apex and Novakid manage to die after the game freezes for a short period of time. It doesn't happen for all Novakid and Apex, but I'm trying to write down a list of what npc types are affected. I may have to make more Dialog patches to solve that.

11. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

when you encounter an error, Please immediately open your starbound.txt log file at starbound/storage and submit its contents in a post using the ['Code] ['/code] bbcode

this makes it oh-so-much easier for us mod authors to figure out what the problem is and fix it, some problems vary between different people at times, particularly those of us who are running other mods as they can influence incompatibility issues between mods.

its also possible that the problem. your having is being generated by another mod which is having an incompatibility issues with the lucario mod, your log file can help determine if this is happening or not, so unless you are 100% certain you definitely do know what the problem is and that your suggestion is definitely the answer, please reframe from 'back seat driving' while refusing to share your log for error confirmation.

The issue is being looked in to and it would be in your best interest to Comply with Zancuno's requests so that it can be resolved, its simple courtesy and provides him with experience for resolving Similar issues of this same calibre should they arise in future updates.

12. johnp1238

johnp1238 Void-Bound Voyager

*Le installing, file called EBS pops up for a split second, EBS support confirmed?*

13. DaWrecka

This error wasn't caused by any other mod, I assure you. I actually found the problem by saving an edited copy of the bmain.lua file that logged the contents of the dialogue table that was being used, which told me that the table included only "default" and "lucario", which led me to the lucario mod. Removing the Lucario mod stopped the problem, and after I fixed the patch files in my local copy of the Lucario mod, the problem was gone even with. I suppose I could restore the malformed files to get a log of the error though...

EDIT: Okay, so I've got logs this time. First of all, disclosure: I have a modified version of /scripts/actions/dialog.lua in my /assets/user tree. However, the only difference between it and the vanilla version of the script is that my version has this:
    Code:
      sb.logInfo("/scripts/actions/dialog.lua:speciesDialog(%s, %s) executing", dialog, targetID)

as the first line of the speciesDialog() function.

My testing process was thus:
    1) Backup my modified version of Lucario, then restore the Lucario mod from the download.
    2) Load up Starbound and take my Kangaru character Trinity Carter to my main base.
    3) Talk to a Viera NPC nearby; she immediately dies.
    4) Talk to an Avali NPC; she also dies.
    5) Quit out of the game and make a Pastebin of my log before restoring my Universe and my modified version of Lucario from their respective backups. The log is available here: https://pastebin.com/iav6p8sA
    6) Load back into the game, taking Trinity back to the base as before.
    7) Spoke to the same Viera NPC as before; she spoke to me just fine, something about a Viera never losing her connection to the Wood. She didn't die.
    8) Spoke to the same Avali NPC as before; she asked me if I'd really come this far to visit their settlement. Again, still alive.
    9) Quit the game and made another paste of the new log. I had to trim this one down, because the log was 640KB and free Pastebin accounts are limited to 500KB-ish pastes. The main points are still present though. https://pastebin.com/n7wDsZmg

14. Zancuno

I think I found the problem. Although mainly my blindsight was the lack of mods to check for compatibility.

It seems I have found the problem, which is rather curious. When I was running the mod by itself without any or little other race mods, it was running fine. I had no issues. Although when I brought in race mods with their own custom dialog, it caused the problems we have now.

So I learned something about patch files today. Apparently you can only add onto pre-existing values and can't add custom values when using the "add" op.

What is happening is that the dialog for the Lucario Race (as in the Lucario talking) is somehow triggering the other dialogs to be replaced. The dialog patches for the other races speaking to a Lucario work just fine.

The solution to this problem is for me to remove all of the Lucario dialog from the patches and put it in it's own dialog file.
    Thanks for pointing all of this out and helping out!!

15. DaWrecka

You can add new custom values to existing tables, you just have to be careful about your paths.

I've uploaded a .zip with the patches I've modified; you COULD just paste these over your copies but I'd recommend instead that you compare these to your existing files to see what I've changed. The zip is on my Google Drive, here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-sVp95t76ONQ25WUmU0WjMxZ3M

16. johnp1238

How do i enable the EBS version? because i found it in the files but it doesnt work

17. Zancuno

EBS is a remnant of the past versions. It hasn't received an update yet. Once I have things settled, it may recieve an update.

18. Zancuno

I actually had went ahead and fixed the NPCs. I made a new config file and moved all of the Lucario dialog to it. The only thing the converse.config.patch has in it now is the additions to what they say to a Lucario because I know they work.

I'll have to post the update when I get home.
    I went ahead and also played the game normally to talk to NPCs. I'm not having any die or glitch out. I also spawned in some Avali to make sure.

The only downside is that I had to remove the Lucario from the random guard lists. The normal Lucario guards work though, you just need a Lucario object in the house.

There should only be 2 files in the next update in the dialog folder. Converse.config.patch and lucario.config

19. johnp1238

I bet if i move some things around, i can meake the EBS version the default.

20. Zancuno

You technically could do it that way but the EBS sprites have not been updated to current standard whatsoever. Also all of the other armors and clothes have not been modified for EBS. Also I should mention that the EBS sprites inside only affect the female sprites. The males don't have EBS whatsoever. There are only two outfit sets available for EBS and due to the lucario race being like the avali, other EBS outfits from other mods won't fit them. Things like the EBS are to be addressed when I get the mod ready for Steam release. I need to get a ton of stuff done before I make EBS sprites and well neutral sprites for those who don't want difference between the genders. (got a ton of stress from when I made gender differences more present even though there were minor differences already.)