Race Lycanthropes-A Wolf Race (Playable)

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Tails7712, Jul 14, 2012.

?

Do you think this is a good idea

1. Yes

46.7%
  2. No

37.5%
  3. Maybe

12.4%
  4. I don't know

3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draconano

Draconano Pangalactic Porcupine

I know this... I said "If you want this to be a playable race" Not "This IS a terrible playable race" I'm saying that if Tails wants this to be a playable race, he needs to change somethings.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. Tails7712

Tails7712 Spaceman Spiff

There is a good chance that a new thread will be created for the "rehaul"

Other then that,there is nothing I can really show you guys for now.

Design is going good and we have many ideas on what the new race will be like.

Don't worry, there will still be a wolfish aspect to it.

Mystic_Wulf and Draconano like this.
  3. Aqualex

Aqualex Subatomic Cosmonaut

Jesus-people would be hilarious. (not implying any negative things on Christians by the way)

Atlus, Haku, WoxandWarf and 1 other person like this.
  4. Shinki

Shinki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Has this been looked at by a dev yet? If it has, has it been accepted or anything? I'm too lazy to look at the whole thread.

Aqualex likes this.
  5. Not that I know of. If it has, the OP would be notified of it.

6. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

The Question Fist Fighting With What Is Essentially A WereWolf ?
    COUNT ME THE FUCK IN!

7. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think they should have increased speed and strength by 5% during full moon.

8. Gulliver

Gulliver Void-Bound Voyager

Jesus christ this is awful

9. Eldritch

Eldritch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly, this race is just not good. It's bad. It's a good example of a race that's not only a mary sue species, but it's also unimaginative. Wolf people, yeah, but what else? Their government tends to act like a bunch of assholes towards other civilizations because that's part of their schtick, but that isn't really original or interesting in any way.

Honestly, you made a race of aggressive, conquering badasses and gave them next to zero societal problems, if any. Your ideas for the armor would be game breaking and quite frankly should never be used for anything if you want the game to remain anything close to balanced. You gave them the good, where's the bad?

This entire civilization feels like it's trying to be dark and edgy, which doesn't really fit Starbound. We get it, they're rude and kill people. Overemphasizing that is one of the easiest ways to make your character seem badly done.

The forumula for a good Starbound race is an exotic creature with an interesting contradiction with a culture inspired by real civilizations. Wolves aren't even exotic creatures. Avians are vastly different from Humans, and Apex are pushing it in terms of exoticness but are still interesting enough with everything else to be acceptable.

We have Birds that hate their flightlessness, Apes that live in the most futuristic society in the galaxy, Flowers that are hyper aggressive cannibals, and Machines that are stuck in a primitive age. Warlike wolves aren't nearly good enough.

Ado, Zody, Pixeludicrous and 2 others like this.
  10. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Fixed that for you. ;)

Haku likes this.
  11. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You didn't fix anything. This idea is bad and you should feel bad. Get your fantasy out of my sci-fi.

12. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

If you don't like the idea, don't comment on it then.

13. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry, I was replying because the first post says to reply and explain why you voted the way you voted. I was going to write up a long-winded post about how it's horribly written and cliche, but Eldritch beat me to it.

But seriously, this is a sci-fi game. What place to werewolves have in it? And saying "But they're ALIEN WEREWOLVES!" doesn't make it better, it makes it worse.

14. Eldritch

Bad ideas should be criticized, because if you rub enough sandpaper on it, maybe one day it won't suck anymore. So if you criticize this idea, maybe one day it won't be a bad idea, just maybe.

All I'm saying is, stop trying to make people feel bad for criticizing this idea, because it really isn't that original and the mary sue factor means it should be criticized so the next time OP makes a race idea it'll be more original and have interesting flaws.

pigrocket and WoxandWarf like this.
  15. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Yes, this game is sci-fi game, and if you think that werewolves doesn't suit it, that means that nearly every single races doesn't suit it too.
    You're so right, they should be criticized, and my point wasn't to make people bad. If someone just comes and says '' This idea sucks. '' , that makes me uncomfortable.

16. Eldritch

No. Avians are interesting and have an interesting culture. Apex are similar. Every single race has an interesting biology and an interesting culture, and then you get warlike wolves and that's it.

17. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

'' Warlike '' Werewolves seems like an interested culture to me, i think it depends to person to person.

18. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But all of the other races are original and even at worst, decently written. What's more interesting? Plants that are voracious meat-eaters or werewolves that are jerks? Let me try this a different way.

What's less interesting than a society of werewolves that are jerks? Nothing.

19. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

As i said, i think it depends to everyone. I think that they're interesting and they suit to this game.

20. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If they suited this game, they'd be foamy-mouthed diplomats and scientists, with a history of great art and culture.

You're not getting the whole "conflict" thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.