Boss Magnarana

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by TehEpikMonk, Jul 22, 2012.

1. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

There's no art to be found in this suggestion. Blame my lack of artistic skills. That being said, it shouldn't be too hard to visualize what I'm trying to get across.

You're exploring a swampy planet you found, taking care not to step in the water underneath in case you get sucked under. Bugs fly through the air, and you swat futilely at them. You see plenty of snakes and the occasional frog. Although there appears to be nothing of note on this planet, you continue onwards. Eventually, you stop, confused by something, but unable to place it. Then it hits you - the sound of the insects has stopped. You look around, and realize there are none in sight. Then you see them. Two lines of frogs face each other, with just enough space in between them to walk in. Looking forwards, you see a small plinth, on which a golden crown is set. You walk past the frogs uneasily, but arrive at the plinth, and remove the statue.

Big mistake.

Immediately, all the frogs scatter into the forest, and a massive creature steps into view. It's a Giant Frog, and it's mad. You drop the crown and back away, and the beast quickly scoops it up with its tongue and puts it on its head. However, your actions did little to appease it. It's time to fight.

Despite its looks, the Magnarana is actually a relatively low level boss, meant to be slightly difficult for someone with low tier gear. It has a small amount of health (depending on the system, anywhere from a couple hundred to over ten thousand - I have no idea what the health scale is like). It can come in two forms - poisonous, and non-poisonous. A Poisonous one will have bright blue and yellow skin, and deal damage on contact. A Non-Poisonous one, however, is just green and brown, and does not deal damage on contact.

It has four main attacks:

The first is a simple whip-attack. It opens it mouths quickly lashes out with its tongue, doing a medium amount of damage.

The second is more deadly. It curls its tongue around you, and brings you towards its mouth, ready to swallow you. If you get caught in it, you have to damage the tongue so that it releases you before you die.

The third attack is a simple hop - the boss will put its weight on its hind legs, and then spring into the air and land near you.

Its fourth and final attack is to summon frogs. These frogs run in from one side, and are poisonous. Touching one will result in a very small amount of damage, but a Poison debuff that deals periodic damage.

Once you kill the Magnarana, it explodes into a cloud of flies that fly upwards, and the loot drops to the ground.

Among the usual amount of syringes to restore your health and Pixels, there are three items of interest.

The first is the Golden Crown, which is a wearable item (that doesn't provide stat bonuses/defense) that has engraved frogs and a large emerald in the center. The description reads "Be careful who you kiss while wearing this."

The second one is the tongue of the frog. You can actually use it as a whip, dealing a medium amount of damage. It has a tendency to stick to your enemies though. The description reads "It's sticky, but effective."

The third item, assuming you have the Boss Hunter NPC (and if you don't, you will shortly), is a pair of Giant Frog Legs (don't ask me how you're going to carry them). These can be presented to the Boss Hunter as proof of the kill, and sold for a nice parcel of pixels. They can also be used to make a Frog Trident, which is a joke weapon that's made of three legs sharpened to a point. The description reads "These could feed a whole French village."

Any feedback is appreciated.

Also, thank you to GardenofFerne for the Frog Trident idea.

2. Karoo

Karoo Big Damn Hero

I think the items dropped are a bit too much, but that is a very cool battle you describe, and would be great ingame. I don't think there is a swamp biome, maybe it could be occasionally found in foresty planets

3. Sir Logan

Sir Logan Phantasmal Quasar

Planet with dark green/brownish dirt+green/purple/brownish water+dark green/brownish grass+browny green trees=swamp planet

TehEpikMonk likes this.
  4. TehEpikMonk

What do you mean, too much? As in, too powerful? Really, there's only two that you can use - the Crown, which isn't much use, and the Tongue Whip.

5. GardenOfFerne

GardenOfFerne Industrial Terraformer

I like the whole idea, great job! I like the items it drops the most I think, the crown's description is just great lol. Also about turning in the frog legs to the boss hunter, remember the whole idea we came up with in that thread (boss hunter) to add the trident as a gag weapon? You should add that to to the OP so people can know about that as well.

Also on a random note, I've read a couple of your ideas and i'm really impressed. Keep up the good work!

6. XXDreanXX

XXDreanXX Void-Bound Voyager

Have you considered adding a more futuristic out put. Like the tongue is a material to make something highly advanced involving a whip?

7. SkeithRei

SkeithRei Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't really see the point in that seeing as it's a frogs tongue and as such isn't the most advanced thing you're going to cross paths with in your travels (to say the least) And this is a low level boss. Don't wanna give those newbies to much power right?

I do very much like the idea of a Frog boss with such variety and cool attacks as I have always been fascinated by amphibians. BEAUTIFULL IDEA :up:

TehEpikMonk likes this.
  8. TehEpikMonk

Yeah, I'll add that to the OP and give you credit.

Thanks for all the support you've shown :)
    Well, it's not supposed to give the greatest rewards.

Also, it's kinda hard to make anything out of a frog tongue.
    That took the words right out of my mouth.