Make charge levels potential properties of all ability types and not just "chargefire" etc

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by It's E, Oct 31, 2018.

1. It's E

It's E Void-Bound Voyager

Charge levels are a real pain in the arse. Honestly, every top-tier non-automatic twohanded weapon should each have a charged version of both their abilities if you want to make the most out of the buttons you have available. Even some full-auto weapons should be able to ramp up their firerate etc after the trigger has been held down for a prolonged period of time (like a gattling gun that needs to heat up, etc). Otherwise you're underusing your keyboard controls.

I mean seriously, let's take the charged slash/giant sword abilities; why are these alt abilities? These could just as easily be charged versions of the primary fire. A broadsword with either of these abilities could have all of its options bound to one button, yet it's split into two, preventing me from having a different ability on my left mouse button. It's a mechanical waste. The same kinda goes for the broadsword/hammer distinction in general, as well as shortswords and axes.

And y'know, I'd love to just mod this in myself and make a broadsword with ordinary primary fire plus a second charge level on the same mouse button that activates the giant sword ability, but I can't; charge levels aren't things which anything other than a select few abilities can possess without significant modding--and within those abilities, the charge levels themselves can't make use of different kinds of abilities. I can't have a gun where one charge level is ability A and another is ability B, because the weapon's ability itself has to just be set to "chargefire" or "Rocket Stack" to even have charge levels in the first place. It's silly. Chargelevels should be completely generic; they should outside of ability types and each be able to carry their own ability type rather than just existing within a few of them.

Like, look here:

You can see the buttons being used on the bottom right corner. That's just two buttons being used for four different ranged attacks (plus an automatic melee attack if you're in range to just punch someone instead, if you like automatic things). Isn't that great? Why doesn't everything have such a nice button/option ratio? Just look at how many guns that guy has on him. In starbound, that would be like one gun, or maybe two onehanded guns, which would restrict you just to primary abilities. That's kinda lame.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018