1. This forum is for website and forum feedback ONLY. Please post Starbound bugs in the Support section. Any game-specific threads in this forum will be deleted.

Suggestion Make "Git Gud" (and similar) responses an actionable offense.

Discussion in 'Website Feedback/Issues' started by Xylia, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Seriously.

"Git Gud" is not constructive whatsoever at all, and you see it quite often in suggestions threads, or any thread in which a player expresses his feedback about things in a game they feel are poorly balanced, over-tuned, or what-not.

You'll always get this MLG player pop up and say "GIT GUD SCRUB!" or something similar. Sometimes they'll type out a whole paragraph that basically boils down to "Git Gud" which is... again, not constructive whatsoever.

I feel the first step in getting rid of this nasty tendency is to make policies against it and start passing out moderator actions against people who do this. They tend to be the same people who do this over and over again, and pointing out that "Git Gud" is not constructive does nothing to these people.

But, perhaps, some vacation time might.

2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

While I like the sentiment, what does or does not amont to "git gud", without using the aforementioned phrase, can be debatable. player skill is a varying factor in situations like this.

Then again, with starbound and stardew valley, I'd question the notion of anyone there calling people scrubs. Just not that sort of game.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That would obviously be up to the moderator if that type of post is reported. A post needs to offer some sort of constructive feedback without being condescending or insulting towards the person they are replying to.

For example...

Player A says (x thing) is too hard.

Player B goes "It ain't that hard, maybe this game isn't right for you." (which is basically saying "git gud or go home" without offering any sort of constructive suggestions/etc)
    Player C goes "I didn't think it was that bad... try doing ____, _____, or ____ instead?"

Player B should receive a warning/action, Player C should not.

Exactly why it doesn't belong in those two games' forums. But I'd even argue that it doesn't belong anywhere. If one can't say something constructive, they should keep their yap shut (or fingers off the keyboard in this case).

4. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Only that, B never actually said it. Its a polite way of saying it.

B shouldn't really be given anything for it. Saying it like that. The "Its not for you" thing is a lil harsh, by thinking you shouldn't do this when you asked for feedback.

There's no point in really asking for feedback IF you can take Moderator action against a negative remark on something if they say something bad because it is a polite way of saying "Git Gud".

That's completely different. Feedback is feedback, Its either gonna be a positive response or a negative one. The Term: "Git Good" isn't necessarily feedback, yes. But the first quote IS feedback.

If they only say "Git Gud" and nothing else in a topic then yeah, it should be considered as being a jerk or spamming something. If they say it along with a reason why they're telling you to "Git Gud" then no they shouldn't. When you ask for feedback you really expect stuffs like this.

Dunto, Ordona, DrVoodoo and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

As Hel pointed out, being polite; even if a bit abrasive, telling someone a game is not for them maybe the best way one could tell someone that the game is too hard for them.

However things like "Git gud" and "scrub" can just being someone an elitist ass-hat. It's all on context really. If it's meant in a silly way like "Pssh, I can do it, so can you. Get gud," between friends, it's not so bad. A few friends and myself tell each other that all the time and via in-game text.

There's a lot of different factors that can be placed on the current situation, for example someone is sincerely looking for help and the response is "That's easy, git gud scrub." Without offering any feedback, then yes, it should be considered an offense as it's not constructive nor does it provide what the OP asked for.

But if said with advice with something like "Hey, do x and run to y, it's easy as pie. Git gud." It could be seen as a more smack-talking and could either encourage said person to try harder. Or make them rage quit depending on the person.

As I said, too many factors to really hone in on that the phrase should be an out-right offense. It'd be awesome if the community would work towards helping one another in better ways, but you can't really expect a community to not have a few bad people. That's like hoping the package of beef jerky won't have any pieces too salty. Just not gunna happen.

PS. Someone just calling a "scrub" or a "n00b" for no reason (and they mean it 'cause they're "l33t") grinds my gears.

Ordona likes this.
  6. I'd much rather have people posting in that tone than "git gud or go home", so I wouldn't warn someone for that. It's not the most constructive post in terms of continuing the discussion, but it's not really problematic either. In a perfect world, everyone would be encouraging further discussion in every single post, but outside of a small, focused, community that's not really possible unless we were to moderate every post and remove any post that didn't pose further discussion points. This is just not possible, nor something people want us doing (we don't want to have to do this either). We try to encourage discussion, but sometimes people will just want to say something that isn't necessarily something others can follow up on but the post is otherwise valid.

Depending on the exact content, I would imagine that a lot of the "git gud" posts would fall under one or more of the "pointless post", "derailing", or "losing your cool" rules. If someone has a neutral comment such as "maybe this game isn't right for you", that's not really a problem since that's their opinion and it's not really disrespectful. As the rules thread says:
    Which basically means "if you're being disruptive, you'll be dealt with".

You can report a post you feel is problematic, and then staff will review it case-by-case. If you find someone is consistently acting this way, feel free to let us know that too and we'll take action if we feel the same.

Gilligan Lanley likes this.