1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Make stupid achievements less stupid

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Clione, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Clione

Clione Astral Cartographer

I shouldn't have to die a single time to achieve 100 % completion, let alone 50 times. Why do I have to sit around for five minutes in shield mode while also remaining in combat when most fights don't even last a single minute? Drowning 20 whorls isn't really hard either, it's just tedious and obnoxious. Killing ten enemies with forced reassembly at once is kind of asking a lot, since you have to create a situation where there are ten enemies on screen at the same time before you can even attempt it. Some of these achievements should be toned down so that they take less time to complete, but are still not too easy to complete, such as ten deaths instead of fifty, since that's at least bound to happen eventually.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    • mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Dying 50 times is often expected out of new players, and resetting a save (likely) wasn't planned by the devs. If you want to make it easy, edit the save and change deaths to 49, then die once and you get it. I'm sorry you are too god-mode to even come close to death.

Two ways to do the shield mode thing. Either play on monsoon, loop many times until all you have is spawns left and right, then bash away as things attack you. Or be cheap and leave one enemy alive after the teleporter charges, then sit against a wall and wait.

Drowning 20 whorls isn't meant to be during a single run, though it can be. Kin artifact makes that easy if you get them to spawn on that stage. Otherwise, play the game often and you will eventually get the achievement.

I found a glitch with the Miner that you can gain that achievement by using his 'To the stars' (I think that's what it's called, I don't use him much) on a group of 50+ (might have been closer to 100 if not more) Lemurians. Once you become overpowered, which means looping many times and collecting hundreds of items (each), things just die in one hit most of the time. The glitch, by the way, will likely be fixed with the next update (which may be soon).

Yes, all of these achievements are tedious, but if they were any easier, what would be the point of having them? It is unnecessary to complain saying these achievements are 'stupid' and demand them to be easier. Play the game as it was intended by the devs. They felt the achievements were balanced, as do many others, leave it at that. If you don't have the patience for these achievements, either ignore them or cheat. The game is meant to be played and completed over many runs, not just 1 per character. If you want things to be easier, use artifacts, unless that's too much work to find them all and click a few times to activate them. If you want your suggestion(s) to be considered by the devs, don't use an offensive title (yes, saying the achievements the devs thought of and made are 'stupid' is an insult) and actually give some ideas rather than just complaints.

I hope you can enjoy the game more, especially when the update comes out.

Noblez Vayn and Coolfeather2 like this.
      • Coolfeather2

Coolfeather2 Void-Bound Voyager

+1, OP is stupid

• (USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Flaming/Being a jerk/Losing your cool. Expires: 2 months)
      • Clione

Tedium should be avoided at all costs. This is one of my favorite games and I have more hours put into this then I feel comfortable admitting and I don't let these achievements ruin it for me, but these achievements do suck. I honestly didn't mean to sound rude, I'm just a blunt person. These achievements could be made better by just not taking as long as they do. If you really want a die X times achievement, 10 times is more reasonable than 50. one or two minutes would be more reasonable for the shield mode achievement, I'm sure you get the point.

How am I stupid? I didn't deserve that.

• Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

I don't play games to collect achievements. If I see onethat looks like it'll be fun I'll go for it, but I have over 400 games in mysteam library and have 100% achievements on only 1, lol

• Coolfeather2

Well complaining about a few achievements seems childish imo, just suck it up, play the game.

If you want the achievements to be better than suggest "Better achievements", don't go complaining about something on a suggestion forum.

• Clione

The thing is that achievements in this game are tied directly to unlockables, so you have to care about them.

I'm honestly not complaining, I'm just a very harsh critic and don't believe in softening the blow at all and if I did offend anyone, I apologize.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
              • Coolfeather2

• Clione

I said earlier that dying 10 times instead of 50 is much more reasonable as is staying in shield mode for only two minutes instead of five and it should be obvious what I'd say about the other achievements I mentioned, give or take a few numbers.

• Coolfeather2

what's the difference, a few numbers? can't spend a few more hours on your "most favourite game"

seriously op if you don't want to go the extra mile and getting the stuff just for in game extras there is this thing that is called cheating, easily done with a few number changes in the save.ini, but your just cheating yourself, missing out on a good time.

• Meldieboy

Meldieboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

What about the literally luck based achievement to have a teleporter finish charging while no enemies are alive? If an enemy spawns during the 89th second, congratulations! No achievement for you!

• Coolfeather2

This is actually quite easy, just loop the game a few times and then you should be able to kill everything on sight as soon as you see it.

I got this achievement myself using the above method.

• Clione

First, I never said this was my favorite, it's just up there. Second, you shouldn't settle for a bad achievement just because it's there. It's because I like this game so much that I want these unlockables to make you work for them rather then pour yourself a drink and wait it out, or hope that a situation will arise so that you can attempt an easy achievement in the first place. Just to specify, the Han-d achievement and whorl achievement that I mentioned don't bug me nearly as much as the other two, and by hope that a situation will arise, I don't mean a stage layout. Dead man's foot, the artifacts, and the miner unlocks are fine because you'll find them eventually if you play the game. For the whorl achievement, you have to sit around for up to a dozen minutes and go out of your way to push twenty of them into pits.

And then there's this one that I actually forgot about. I know about the boar beach exploit but this one is pretty dumb, you have to admit.

• Coolfeather2

uh yes you did say this was your favourite, op is stupid once again, and you think every achievement is supposedly achievable in a easy way? these are made for those more hardcore players, the only achievement I basically don't have is the miner one because it glitched out for me and the whorls.​

• Clione

ONE of my favorite games. I like several games more than this one, Dark Souls 2 for example. Also by easy achievements I meant the whorl achievement. There are plenty of achievements in this game that are challenging. I'm not that good at this game and can't play in Monsoon for crap, but tedium is tedium, and some of the achievements, especially the whorl and shield mode achievements are very tedious. Many of the others can be obtained by simply playing the game.

• Coolfeather2

most/one, who cares about what games you find most favourable?

why do you even need those two achievements?

• Clione

Because they unlock stuff? Also, I gave the examples because I was trying to explain to you that this is not my absolute favorite game like you seem to think it is.

• Coolfeather2

wow, op doesn't even know what these achievements unlock but still wants to get them because they unlock something? wtf?

• Clione

Filial Imprinting and Prescriptions, correct? Look, if I offended you then I am sincerely sorry and I apologize. I never meant to come off as rude, this is just how I criticize and I'm totally open to the idea that I just suck at it, but I honestly never meant to offend anyone.

• Coolfeather2

my main problem is that it is criticism in the wrong place that is all (belongs in discussion), and the fact that people complain about achievements being outgoing or hard, and not being achievable in ordinary play through.