1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Make your own Custom Pet Template [ For Modders \ Artists ] [PG]v2

Requires Purchaseable Pets as a Dependency!

1. JunosatoRyu

JunosatoRyu Pangalactic Porcupine

You will need a programm able to make transparent backgrounds and things.
    GiMP is free and will serve your need if you tinker around with it a little.

2. epicness403

epicness403 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have gimp but do i need to erase in order to have a transparent background

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The white area..

4. epicness403

epicness403 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok thanks everybody I'll hopefully have my pet done this afternoon

5. snowlinks

snowlinks Void-Bound Voyager

I made a pet, renamed everything I could find with 'customPet', and I'm able to spawn it's house in-game.. But my pet doesn't come up.

Am I missing something? Here's the file.

Attached Files:

6. The | Suit

xxswatelitexx updated Make your own Custom Pet Template [ For Modders \ Artists ] with a new update entry:

Updated to Pleased Giraffe

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1440815561,1440815480][/DOUBLEPOST]
    There were a few issues
    1. You deleted the default.frames file in the parts folder. Which you cannot do
    2. You renamed things that shouldn't be renamed - remember if you are only doing simple method. Only rename anything that says customPet and nothing else.
    3. The version you had was for spirited giraffe - you will need to download the updated giraffe version

7. snowlinks

snowlinks Void-Bound Voyager

Many thanks, I'll get to it tonight.
    I should still be able to use the sprite sheet I made, right? Just put the name back to the original?

8. The | Suit

Sprite sheet it self is fine, only the issues above need to be fixed.

9. JunosatoRyu

I was bored and did a small experiment...
    I resized the animations of the pets...
    When done properly, pets of ANY size can be made.
    THe downside is their collision boxes always seem to stay the same...

10. The | Suit

Collision is set by the metabound box in the monster type file
    There are quite a few things which can be done - that isn't mentioned in this guide.
    But I figured if you can manage all that - you wouldn't need this mod in the first place.

11. JunosatoRyu

o -o
    Need but ONE word to tell why the mod is usefull.
    Uniformity.
    On that note:
    Why not make 3 or 4 Template files for different sizes?

12. The | Suit

There really isn't any need for uniformity when it comes to pets. The code will work fine regardless.
    It is just that unless you spend time learning all the intricacies involved it will break easily. So I just purposefully avoided it.

13. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice! I loved all the critters I saw wandering around the worlds of Starbound so I needed my own Quibble. It did take me around ten thousand odd years to stop him being invisible but I managed to get it in the end! Thanks, xxswatelitexx!

The | Suit likes this.
  14. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

So I have encountered a small problem as I have been trying to bring over some custom pets from a few other mods (I have permission to edit these) mostly I've been trying to do this so that any race can have any pet, and so far I have been able to intergrade the pet into this system.. However the ship pets for the custom races refuse to stay despawned with the pet trap... any suggestions?

15. The | Suit

As long as you only use the graphics from other custom pets - then there should be no issue.
    Which means you need to use my pet object codes and everything else associated.
    The only thing you can bring from other pet mods is purely the graphics.

16. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

I found a basic work around for now, just found it odd that the pet trap refused to work on the custom race pet. (basically deleted it outright and made sure the new added pet was simply named different)

17. The | Suit

right - that is why you need to remake the monster file using my code in order for it to work.
    You should only use the images, the rest you need to follow the advanced instructions.

18. SeregirDraike

SeregirDraike Void-Bound Voyager

Made custom pet
    Keep getting error when I start up Starbound

---Fatal Exception caught: (StarException) Mod 'madExp_CustomPet' is missing dependency 'madExp_CustomPet'---

19. SeregirDraike

Deeeerp
    It was because I forgot to add the required mod

It loads now, but when I do the add command I get this

Attached Files:

20. SeregirDraike

Removed mod, using only choosepets, when I buy amd place a pet house there is no pet