Modding Help Manipulating the inventory - changing trash behavior?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by duK-e-, Apr 12, 2020.

1. duK-e-

duK-e- Void-Bound Voyager

Hello.

I have absolutely no experience modding Starbound, so my very limited "knowledge" here is what I have been able to find out by unpacking the vanilla assets and just looking around.

My goal is to change the behavior of the trash can in the inventory. The vanilla behavior is such that you place an item or a stack of items on the trash slot in your inventory, and after a burn time its subsequently deleted. Instead I want to make it a button that opens a sort of virtual trash container that you can quickly shift-click your unwanted items into. Once you close the inventory/container pane, the items in the trash container are permanently trashed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far I think I need to change the playerinventory.config file so that "trash" is of type "button" instead of itemslot. I just can't figure out where that is used, or if there's even a script that controls the behavior of that button. Is what I'm trying to do possible with the available lua API?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

As far as I am aware that is not available to edit

3. duK-e-

duK-e- Void-Bound Voyager

Looking at your post and mod author history, you probably know what you're talking about.
    Shame that it's not possible, because the current trash implementation is really lackluster. Do you know if it's possible to add new interface hotkeys then? Setting the burn-time to 0 and having a quick-delete hotkey would also be a decent solution.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Last time I checked, Starbound ignores any attempt at scripting the inventory interface. I've tried in the past for my own inventory mod. The functionality is hard-coded. Now if it is instant trash disposal, you can make a trash can container object and script that however you like including instantly eliminating any contents. That might not be great on the go. You could make an active item that brings up a scripted interface, and that takes care of being able to use it anywhere - except now you take up an inventory spot. Well maybe a quickbar mini mod? So you can bring up an interface without carrying anything.