Many questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Pangaearocks

Pangaearocks Big Damn Hero

I'm level 10 and this wasn't during the Night Market. Must have been a long row of terrible luck then, several times in quick succession. It was pretty annoying. I'm throwing max distance or near enough (can't get max each time). Eventually I left and did something else because I was tired of fishing up trash and seaweed for half a day.

Some of the fish is seriously tough to get on land. Tried for an Octopus during the summer. It must have been hooked 3-4 times because it was bouncing all over the place, but level 10 + bobber is not enough, unless you are a bit lucky. Almost reeled in one of them, but then it was going haywire again and I lost it. One of the fish in the Desert is pretty darn rough too, and of course the legends. Should try with food as well when going for these, but I'm a cheapskate :D (and like the challenge)

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Easier fishing mod...easier fishing mod...easier fishing mod...

Some of the fish are just too dang hard for me to catch normally, hence using an easier fishing mod!

How much does daily luck affect fishing? Like, if the spirits are disgusted with you, will that mean you'll fish up more trash than if the spirits are in good humor?

• HappyFarm

HappyFarm Aquatic Astronaut

If you decide to try a food buff, I recommend Lobster Bisque. It gives you +3 fishing and lasts almost all day (~18 minutes).

• Pangaearocks

Is the chance horrific in the mine lakes? Tried on level 60 now, there is supposed to be Ice Pip, and in 10 throws I get a can of soda and 9 pieces of algae. Fun..

• Anhaga

Anhaga Master Chief

I haven't tried the level 60 lake, but I've caught almost all fish on the level 40 one (ghost fish and the stone fish). Usually I get a few green and white algae, but it's mostly fish. I might be lucky, though? This particular game has been going really well for me when it comes to fishing. Also, I hate trying to catch octopus. I've managed to land a single one in all my games, and I think it was entirely by chance. Octopus are HARD to catch. I had an easier time with the mutant carp, and I keep a trap bobber on all the time.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

AFAIK luck doesn't affect trash chances. It does affect your chance of getting a treasure chest slightly, though.

Oh, yeah, the mine lakes (especially 60 and 100) are just awful. That one's not you.

• Pangaearocks

That explains it then, because this was at level 60. Later I tried again at both level 60 and 100, and in ~25 attempts (more than one bobber's worth) I got maybe 5 fish. But it was enough to get up the lava eel and ice pip (plus a few ghostfish), so mission accomplished :)

The Octopus is VERY hard to get up, tho. In my opinion it's harder than some of the legendaries. The Scorpion carp may qualify for that as well. Totally nuts, and you honestly need some luck. Food would surely have helped, though :p But the Octopus also has a pretty narrow window, so you can spend a day fishing for it without ever getting it hooked. Only have a few hours per day, during one of the seasons.

• Pangaearocks

Would like to go back to this post, since it's a nice overview. After much huffing and puffing, I finally managed to fill two expanded sheds with kegs and jars (one each) -- though it took lots of bought materials from Clint and Robin. Had saved up a bunch of cranberries and suchlike that I spent winter processing, and by now (late spring year 3), the greenhouse is filled with ancient fruit + 14 trees (don't like trees in the bottom, because it hinders the view too much for comfort). That means I can more or less forget processing much else than greenhouse produce in the two sheds, especially the kegs shed. Therefore I'm looking to expand. Ideally I'd like another shed with jars to be able to process more of the outdoors crops, but it seems people mainly build kegs instead? Is that the general approach?

And I do understand why, having gone through the bother of filling one such shed with jars. They cost... a LOT. Filling another one with 137 jars would be, if everything was bought from Robin and Clint (and most of it would realistically have to be):
                  137x50x50g (wood) = 342,500g
                  137x40x100g (stone) = 548,000g
                  137x8x250g (coal) = 274,000g
                  ==> 1,164,500g :-O

Getting enough oak resin for another whole shed will take a long time, never mind two of them, but it's probably 'better' than jars anyway. Okay, I have 3 million in the bank or something, so it's doable either way, but since most of my produce will be fruit anyway (slower than veggies, even in jars hmm, this appears to be incorrect, it's the same time), it seems like kegs makes most sense (also due to less micro-management).

Going through this I probably convinced myself to go for kegs, but any comments/advice?

Also, what would you say is the best use for all the iridium ore/bars we get with the statue of perfection and the odd deep-dive in skull cavern? Currently I've got 20+ bars and several hundred ore -- and I've already crafted an Iridium Ring (the one with magnet, light and extra damage).

• Elenna101

Yeah, as mentioned before, for fruit kegs are generally better total profit, but jars are better g/day.
                    IMO, once you get to the point where you have millions in the bank, g/day doesn't matter really since you don't need the money soon.

The other issue to consider is how much fruit you're producing - will you be able to process all of it in the number of kegs you plan to have? If not, jars might be better total profit, since you'll be able to process more stuff. Blueberries/cranberries especially take a lot of processing time. Of course, if your eventual plan is "make as many kegs as needed to process everything", rather than "make X number of kegs", this doesn't really matter.

In terms of materials needed to make them, remember that once you get the ancient fruit up and running, that by itself will make you 300,000g of wine a week, so 1.2 million g is less of a big deal than it might sound like. Still more expensive than kegs, though.
                    For oak resin, the new tree fertilizer means you can just plant tons of acorns and have them grow up in less than a week, so if you have the wood/copper for tappers, you can start getting quite a bit of oak resin pretty easily. (Don't forget that you can plant wild trees off the farm - but also don't forget that NPCs destroy trees when they walk into them now. The railroad might be a good area, although there's a couple NPCs that go there sometimes. The desert/quarry might be worth considering.)

As for iridium bars, selling them is pretty nice money at 1000g/bar (1500g with the Blacksmith perk), which is why deep dives with explosive ammo used to be super profitable... :p
                    Other than that, after crafting an iridium ring or two and upgrading whatever tools you want upgraded, you could craft crystalariums with them, I guess.

• Pangaearocks

Thanks. What I've been plotting down in the planner tool is 4 or maybe 5 sheds in total, of which two are now filled. Even if I had three more and filled them with kegs, it may not be enough to process all the crops from the around 450 crop tiles I have outdoors. And since I like to grow organically, oak resin is going to be an issue one way or another. I could go nuts with the new tree fertiliser, but it feels kinda cheesy to me, so I avoided that during winter, although I was lacking wood and had to buy heaps from Robin. I could put some tappers on some of the 'standard' trees around the map, because the three on my farm isn't all that much when we are talking hundreds of kegs that needs making. For now I've started to fill the recently built third shed with kegs, and I plan to build another one next to it. Getting enough bars is an issue too. Wish Clint would sell the bars tbh, even if it was less cost-effective than buying ore and making them ourselves. Would simply be easier, and the guy is a blacksmith for crying out loud, and keeps claiming to make too many from time to time -- yet has not a single one for sale. What gives? :( :D

I'm way short on iron ore and even copper ore by now, so ought to either "farm" (heh) the mines or blow money in Clint's direction. I've got half an eye on the desert obelisk, but it's still tempting to simply spend money to fix problems where that is possible (like buying thousands of wood from Robin).

Somebody must have done this on an industrial scale, but iirc ancient seeds can grow from spring to fall outdoors, so I imagine it could be a rather good idea to fill the crop fields with them outdoors as well. No need for hectic re-planting in between seasons. You'd need rather many seeds of course, but two batches from the greenhouse through the seedmakers should probably be enough. Though I don't love the though of doing that with my puny number of two seedmakers :D It's good value even if you sell them raw, though, so that is nice. Maybe next year? :)

Aye, crystalariums is what I thought of too, only thing to spend them on really :/ Could fill the batcave with diamond production or something. I usually forget to go in there anyway (which is one reason I picked bats over mushrooms).

However, when you get to this stage, money is a non-issue, and it's very easy to get to a point where the game becomes boring work rather than fun, because you're only running from shed to shed and barn to barn all day long, while also struggling to produce enough bars and resin and whatnot. Then all the animal products... oh gawd. They're already overwhelming me, so it's tempting to sell everybody but the pigs and simply sell truffles raw. The cheese sure is nice in skull cavern tho.

Sorry for blabbering on a bit here, and thinking out loud, but thanks for the feedback. Food for thought, if you can excuse the expression :D

Now then, if only we could get some rain soon, so I can get that pendant for Leah... Spring is almost over, and we've not had a single day of rain yet, which has really surprised me. I wanted a go at the Legend as well, hoping to complete all fish by year 3.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

If you want more oak resin, plant more oaks. You can fit about 20 on the backwoods path, and they'd be safe because NPCs never go there. Even if you don't want to cheese the tree fertiliser, they only take an average of 18 days to grow. Also, and I know this will sound completely counterintuitive, but because of how the game calculates the processing time for a tapper, you want to harvest them as late as possible in the day if you want to reduce the time it takes to be ready again. If you always harvest last thing at night, you should be able to get one harvest a week

Do you have the Miner perk? It makes a huge difference to the amount of ore you get. Choosing the Geologist perk is almost always a bad idea because you don't find that many gem nodes anyway, so an extra 50% is still not that much, but you find a lot of ore nodes, and you get an extra piece from every single one of them.

But as you already admitted, animals are a PITA. Meanwhile, Gus sells unlimited quantities of salad for just 220g, which compares reasonably favourably with cheese in terms of E/g. And it's a whole lot less effort to splurge 220k on a stack of them once or twice a year than running around after cows and managing cheese presses every single day.

You already have pigs, so quickly get some tappers on pine trees and you can make yourself some rain totems. If you don't have the wood or the copper for the tappers, go and buy it, it's pennies compared to how much you already have and will probably be replaced in a day or two anyway.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I got all the fish once and now I only use the easier fishing mod (since skipping fishing isn't working atm), I always used Trap Bobber and Trout Soup (bought from Willy), my hardest fish was the PUFFERFISH! He keep bouncing like you described with the octopus and I had no chance to capture him, even the legendary didn't gave all that trouble! The desert fish is hard, I don't mind the challenge to catch legendary but we shouldn't had to struggle to rell every kind of fish, it's more stressful than challenging but CA is aware of those complaints from the community and think that the fishing system is working fine.:down:

• Pangaearocks

Don't know how I managed to write three there, because I do have nine -- although that still isn't a whole lot compared to the need. Once I can play again I'll take a look at where I can place some more tappers. There must be some fully grown trees nearby.

I do have Miner, which as you point out helps a lot (particularly when RNG would have given you 1-2 ores without it). Part of the reason I have so little iron+copper now is that I've been to the Skull Cavern when able, and in level 80+ in the normal caves to tick off some more shamans and whatnot. Result is that I'm almost out of iron and copper, but have around 1000 gold ores. So I need to start farming for copper and iron, or simply buy it from Clint. Think I prefer the latter tbh. Money isn't an issue, and simply farming ores is boring.

Need to figure out if I actually need them for anything else while I have them, though I can't really be arsed with all the recipes I think. Pretty sure I'll sell all the coop animals + coop, and all non-pigs. Even with auto-grabbers, it's a pain to deal with all the animals, particularly as I have fewer cheese-makers and suchlike than animals, so it's much running about during the day. Forget it for a day or two, and suddenly you have eggs and milk up to your waist. Much easier to pick truffles and toss them in the bin for 1250g a pop. Nothing during winter, but I can live with that.

Think fishing is a classical love it or hate it feature -- and I happen to basically love it. At level 10, it's actually often kinda boring, because many fish simply don't move at all, so you can keep the bar at the bottom of the meter and still get perfect catches more often than not (with herring, sardine, carp and suchlike fish). It's more fun when it's an actual battle, and you need to struggle a little to reel them in. Not necessarily as much struggle as sturgeon, lingcod and pufferfish can be, where I basically need a bobber to stand a decent chance, but I do like the fishing mini-game. Somebody (probably Willy) gave me a food that yielded +4 Fishing, so in a pinch against the Legend that should be rather damn good I reckon :)

That Octopus is nuts though, holy crap. It's flying all over the meter, with no rhyme or reason. You can move the bar upwards fairly quickly, but downwards is more tricky. You can't "force" it that way, so just need to wait. And then the bugger goes back up. If you try to wait it out so he jumps back up, he may stay down for too long. It's very messy, and you need luck. Will definitely try some food next time against that bugger. It's too difficult without. But I do like fishing in this game, and find it very relaxing. Wish there was more money in it, but it is what it is. Iridium quality helps a little, but not much really. Income is still pocket-change compared to selling crops raw, and ofc even more so with processing.

Small query about weeds at the end. During a night I was told that weeds had damaged my farm, but I couldn't see anything of the sort. Is there a way to detect this?

Eventually I shuffled the save game through upload.farm, and managed to find some weeds in the bottom right corner. It couldn't have damaged anything, but maybe it consumed some grass or something? I found it pretty strange.

• Anhaga

Anhaga Master Chief

Ah! The backwoods path. That had not occurred to me as a place to plant. Thank you. I'm running a river farm right now (one of 5? 6? farms I have going), and finding space for everything is rather exciting. I wish that we could put the fish ponds in the dang water. That would make sense, I'd think--just have in-water fish ponds be constructed out of different materials, like wool (for nets), wood (for bobbers), copper or something for holding it all together.

• Elenna101

Dumb question: how does one exit the Junimo Kart game? I figured out Enter pauses it but I can't figure out how to actually exit. E and Esc don't seem to do anything?

• Elenna101

Answering my own question - it's actually just Esc. My best guess is that when I tried it, I accidentally pressed the ` key instead, since the keyboard on my new laptop has that key where Esc was on my old laptop.