Modding Help Map Editor request

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by johnsonn9697, Nov 7, 2016.

1. johnsonn9697

johnsonn9697 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm looking for someone who knows how Starbound dungeon map works .-.
    I already see a lot of tutorials on the forum. But i'm can't understand ;-;
    It's for my Haathee mod.
    If someone interested please contact me ^^
    I will give the credits on the mod post in the steam and in the forum.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

First, you'll need the tool of the trade:
    Tiled
    Go to the link above and download version 0.15.2.
    (More updated versions will only cause you problems.)

Sadly, I don't think any of the tutorials you mentioned will be of any use.
    There arent any updated tutorials for dungeon making, at least in Tiled, to my knowledge.
    Most of the knowledge has been learn as you go for quite sometime.

I'll try to help you as much as I can, though.
    (I seriously have been considering writing a Tiled tutorial...)

3. johnsonn9697

The only Tiled tutorial is the one in the Starbounder. But I can't use my custom furniture for my species house .-.

4. Inf_Wolf14

Alright, so you want to make a custom tileset for furniture?

I can help there, too.

5. Inf_Wolf14

First, make two file directories in your mod's root.
    One as "/tiled/packed/objects".
    The second as "/tilesets/packed/objects-by-race".

Inside the first directory, copy and paste the .PNG image of your piece of furniture. It will be the same image as rendered in-game.
    (If this image has multiple frames, only use 1 frame. Which one doesn't matter.)

Now, open Tiled.
    At the top, in "Map", hit "New Tileset...".

Enter the name for your new tileset.
    (I recommend following the vanilla naming system. So I would name it, in your case, "objects-by-race/haathee")
    Choose the "Collection of Images" under the "Type" field.

Now, once created, navigate to the new tileset in the program under the tileset window.
    Inside this, at the bottom are tools for the tileset. What you are looking for is the plus button.
    (If it is colored blue, the tileset is loaded and ready to edit. If it is grayed out, you will need to import the tileset first.)

When you hit "Add Tiles" (plus), locate the folder you made in the beginning for the object image. Navigate until you find your object image. Open it.

Now, you have added a new tile into the tileset. (Yay!)
    When you click on it, you'll see it is missing some fields of information that vanilla objects have. You add these yourself. (Yay...?)

With your new object selected, look under the "Properties" window in the program. You'll see room for custom properties, you want these.

At the bottom, hit the plus button.
    You will do this six times for six different properties.
    First, make one called "//description"; This is the description in the object's file.
    Second, "//name"; The name of the object as used to spawn it with commands.
    Third, "//short description"; I'm sure you got this one.
    Fourth, "imagePositionX"; This should be default at 0. Only change it if, inside your objects file, the imagePosition inside orientations has an offset. If it does, match that value.
    Fifth, "imagePositionY"; Same deal, but with the Y coordinate.
    Sixth, "object"; This is the technical name of the object again. This should match "//name".

Lastly, once you have gotten through all this, go back into the window for the tilesets. (Back where you first clicked your new object.)
    One button at the bottom is named "Export Tileset As". Click this, and go to the folder we made called "tilesets" in the root.
    Before anything, check that you are saving the file as a .json file at the bottom of the navigation window.
    Now let's name it "haathee", and save it.

Now you should be able to add and use that tileset in your dungeon maps.

Just add the tileset to the map like normal and select and place the object in the appropriate layer.

Ask questions for whatever you find confusing. I know that I'm terrible at explaining things. So I can clarify wherever needed. ^.^

-Inf_Wolf14

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    AmazonValkyrie and Firebird Zoom like this.
  6. johnsonn9697

I will try this late. And about the tutorial: MAKE IT. You will help a lot of people with the tutorial.

Firebird Zoom and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  7. Inf_Wolf14

Yeah, I've been pondering it for some time. I'm just absolutely horrid at explaining/teaching people, so I'm worried I'll just confuse people rather than help. :p

8. johnsonn9697

You make it a good tutorial right now in this post. If people get confused in the middle they can give you a feedback. And the tutoria, if im not wrong, is editable.

9. johnsonn9697

About the .dungeon Its better to use the hylotl city file?
    About the ships, it is better to use the color map or have another better method?
    Anyway: YOU MAKE THE GRECKAN RACE MOD? Man I loved your mod <3

Firebird Zoom and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  10. Inf_Wolf14

For dungeons, it doesn't really matter what file you open to use. But later on, when you start making more projects, it's good to have a template map that you can open, and save a copy of for whatever project you start. (That way you don't have to re-create the object/tile layers each time.)

Dungeon files make use of TIled and .json maps to load themselves.
    Ship files still use blockkeys and .png maps. There isn't any support for Tiled. (Yet...?)

Thanks. :3

11. johnsonn9697

And about the multi-frames object (such likes doors) the imagepositionX and Y will be different? I was looking into the Vanilla tilesets

12. Inf_Wolf14

No, the imagePositionX/Y is solely determined by the offset set inside the object's file. Multiple frames just means it applies the offset to multiple instances.

I may be wrong, all I know in my experience is matching my modded object's offset to those values causes them to render from the map properly.

13. johnsonn9697

Another question :p
    For testing the villages. There is a way to know where they have generated?

14. Inf_Wolf14

When the world is loaded, (when you are in orbit) you will see, inside your starbound.log, listings for what dungeons spawned and the coordinates on-planet.

15. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I'm following your tutorial here for adding custom objects to Tiled, and I have a quick question. For an object that is setup like a torch where at different placements it looks differently (i.e. "torchright", "torchground", etc) do you happen to know if I have to add each corresponding .png or just one of the images. I just wanna make sure I don't need to add each image for each of it's placements >_< I was also wondering if the same needs to be done for an object that has multiple upgrade stages? Hope that makes sense. Thank you for this tutorial by the way. It's a been a great learning experience for me ^_^

16. Inf_Wolf14

Good question. I, myself, haven't needed to use objects with orientations yet, so looking into it:
    • Vanilla tilesets DO have objects for each orientation of an object. However, these various orientations only seem to have three differences:
      • First, the image shown per tile is corresponding to its rotation. (Duh)
      • Second, the name appends "_orientation<number>" to the base name. Where <number> equals 2, rotated 90° CW. 3, rotated 180° CW... Up to 5 when rotated 360° (the same orientation as standard.)
      • And all objects of this sort have an additional property: "tilesetDirection". Some vanilla objects have them correct, but many don't so I'm guessing it's not a fully implemented element. (Probably should have it though.)
    • As for upgradable crafting stations, the only example we have are basic objects of them at stage 1, upgraded. (The information of upgrade tier is stored within each object instance. That's why spawning in a station always defaults to tier 1 stations.)

Ill have to test out object orientations later to consolidate any of this. So I'll apologize in advance if it doesn't work.

(This is gathered from studying the "redalertlight" object in the vanilla tilesets. So it may not be wholly universal info.)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  17. AmazonValkyrie

Thanks ^_^ I'm gonna give it all a go today and try and build some new structures. This is my first time using Tiled, and I know there's not a whole lot out there as far as detailed tutorials go, so I appreciate any information ya have. Thank you again!

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  18. Inf_Wolf14

No problem; I know the tutorials have been lacking in the past.

(I've been putting off creating a tutorial for these forums for a couple months, lol.)

19. AmazonValkyrie

It's understandable. Writing a tutorial seems like quite the project >_<

Sorry if I'm bugging ya, but do you also know if I need to have both the on and off images for lights or just the on frame for the Tiled objects folder? I'm also curious as to how to handle loading platforms into Tiled since they have multiple orientations depending on placement. Thanks in advance again, I'm just full of questions lol.

20. Inf_Wolf14

Just go with one frame, same goes for animated objects. Animation in general will be handled by the object in-game once it is placed.

Platforms are easy. They exist the same as basic tiles like dirt, etc. They don't actually have orientations, just visuals dependent on bordering tiles. So, like animated objects, they'll figure themselves out so long as you can get them properly placed in-game. :)

AmazonValkyrie likes this.