MarineKing's Interesting Gear Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by TheMarineKing, Feb 26, 2012.

1. TheMarineKing

TheMarineKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

Gear should be categorized in 4 categories - Armor , Space Suit (Using for low/no oxygen), Clothes/Vanity and Uniforms. The Armor could be upgraded. (like in Terraria using the Tinkerer.)

Armor > Armor is the combat protection gear, Since players tend to use armor all the time, It should weigh them down depending on armor type and material. Armor that uses different materials should have different effects.
    (examples)

- Light Armor - Light Armor Should consist of Leather-like materials and think plates of metal or some sort of durable material. The User is covered with a body glove and Torso Plating These types of armor gives the user great mobility and concealment but with lacking protection.
    Armor is composed of - Light Greaves, Light Chestplate, Recon Helmet/Combat Helmet and Recon Boots.

- Combat Armor - Combat armor should be the most common armor. It's a balance of Mobility and Protection, The chest, shoulders and knees are padded with durable metal while the rest of the body is covered by a body glove.
    Armor is composed of - Combat Greaves, Combat Chestplate, Assualt Helmet/Combat Helmet and Combat Boots

- Heavy Armor - Heavy Armor is composed of Highly Durable Material, It takes away most of the user's Mobility but gives excellent protection against volleys of bullets/lasers/projectiles and most melee attacks. The body is covered with a thick body glove and a set of thick combat armor. Armor is composed of - Juggernaut Vest, Heavy Greaves, Juggernaut helmet.

Space Suit > The Space suit is necessary for Low Oxygen Planets/moons, This can only be used when in the ship and on the Low Oxygen surfaces. Suits don't provide protection. Since space is in Zero-G, The suit uses an assortment of thrusters.

Clothes/Vanity Items > Various multicolored, multistyle clothing that is used when not using the Armor/Space Suit/Uniforms. This contributes for character customization. Some Planets might hold some clothes based on other game characters.The Vanity Items don't provide any bonuses, just for aesthetic purposes.
    Examples of Vanity Items -

The Super Soldier - Master Chief's Armor
    Galactic Tyrant - Darth Vader's Armor
    Castle Plumber - Mario's Clothes
    Cyber Hero - TRON/Megaman suit
    Cynical Brit - Total Biscuit (Top Hat and Tuxedo)
    Emperor's Soldier- Space Marine Armor
    The Biker - Francis from L4D
    Raynor's Raider - Terran Marine from SC2

Uniforms > Uniforms are used by Various NPC Planets/Companies/Armies/Factions And Multicolored Variants for Player Factions. When the player decides to Create a faction, They could craft their own uniform, Or when the player decides to join the NPC Faction, They'll be given these uniforms.

2. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

I think Vanity Items are already confirmed, but the idea of weighed armor, space suits, and Uniforms (clan suits, as I like to call them) is a good idea. The weighed armor should have better protection based on their weight (as you said) but also hinder movement speed.

3. Remmus

Remmus Subatomic Cosmonaut

to me, as long as it´s kept to reducing movement speed and max jump depending on armour class, sure, but beyond that then personally I feel it becomes to much micro management, I hope Starbound will be a pick up and play game. But the general idea of having diffrent armour classes still adds depth, and if done right, without the busy work.

4. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

I like the ideas. Not sure if armor should be necessarily classified into categories, but it would make it easier if you're going for a certain character build or way to develop your character.

5. TheMarineKing

I don't Fully agree, If you're wearing heavy armor, there should be some movement limits. Maybe there's some sort of Armor that could increase movement and jump speed via jump jets or some sort of thruster. I guess not ALL armor pieces should slow you down except for the heavy armor or similar variants. I don't think having heavy armor while moving around normally is balanced(like in Terraria), It's kind of unbalanced for PVP/Mass Battles, no heavy armored player should be able to chase a light armored player.

6. TheMarineKing

Yeah I guess so. It could be possible to add the cons for the armor in a "harder" Difficulty level.

7. Evil_Clown712

Evil_Clown712 Aquatic Astronaut

Instead of classes the armor could also be generated the same way the planets and creatures do. And you could
    set up the components in categories.

Although there would be a lot more components then this, I like to think of it as an adaption from the Borderlands system used to create the weapons.

Speed:
    Jet Pack
    Wheels (like rollerblades)

Defense:
    Armor Plates
    Shields
    (Some light material that I can't think of right now) Instead of heavy Armor

Accessories:
    Springs (Negates fall damage or increases jump height)
    Spikes (Melee Damage Increase)
    Ammo Pouches (Increase in Ranged Ammo)
    etc.

TheMarineKing likes this.
  8. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Now that... that could work.

9. TheMarineKing

Indeed.

10. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

I think they already have this sorted out...