NPC Marriage and Babies

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by AirplaneRandy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, you know, you can create baby NPCs to do your bidding.

EDIT:
    Anyways, babies would be little crawling NPCs that roam around a specified area, a crib could be used as a marker for this. And if your spouse is near by, they would pick the baby up and walk around with it, when the spouse returns, the baby would be placed into the crib, or on the floor of the specified area to interact with baby based furniture, these babies would be the size of a cat. Babies can after a period of time become children that share similarities with its parents, these children could be similar to how mobs and NPCs are generated. Once they grow up, they could maybe become helper NPCs who are able to gain jobs, and after a set period of time, you can receive their income. Babies and Children can not die as they generate a shield that'll protect them from attacks and lava (and related liquids). If the spouse dies and you have children, they'll be sent to an intergalactic foster home.

Marriage, the ceremony could take place on the space station or a building with a marriage alter. During the marriage, all the NPCs the player is friends with will attend (who'll respawn in their usual spot after you leave the area). When you place the Marriage alter, a new NPC will appear who will assist you with the marriage, provide tips, and sell love related merchandise. However, before marriage, maybe have one status, a dating thing. Spouses and Spouses to be would have 4 indicators. Wife/Husband, Fiancee, Girlfriend/Boyfriend, and Single. Marriage would work similar to Skyrims marriage system. You can also Divorce your spouse, in that case, they spawn to their original location, or stay in the house you built for them, they gain custody of the children.

Priest
    -Performs marriages.
    -Provides tips on how to get married.
    -Sells items required to get married (ring, Amulet of Mara), and maybe items that benefit children.
    -The priest could also sell holy items, like holy water, and godly crafting materials.
    -If the Dark :devil: element is in this game, the priest would be the Hallowed :halo: (Holy).
    -Only shows up when a Holy Alter is crafted (or found) and placed on to the planet.
    -The alter is where a marriage takes place.

2. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

How is Babby made?
    Anyway i think it whould be kinda wierd to add a marriage system and such to the game but hey it could work.

3. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

I think it is not. It simple terms getting married, what did u think we r going come out sum sort of test tube like the rest the monster and other things? Heck no, I mean come on think the possibility that having half human and half dragoknight or many many freaking mix races or more then mix races because they could create the greatest story ever to be MADE OF THE CONTINUE OF GENERATION MIX BREED!:mwahaha: (note just continue of mix breed process goes ahead)
    [​IMG]
    P.S its not bad idea, there is sometime might be a changes.

janovick likes this.
  4. Ricola

Ricola Void-Bound Voyager

What if this was multiplayer-compatible? Could you propose to your actual girlfriend on starbound? Also I think that (although realistic and legal) it would be really annoying to have to pay child care if you became an intergalactic conquerer. In a multiplayer relationship your wife could conquer with you but on singleplayer this whole idea seems really really tedious and annoying, especially because it's hard to grow attached to an Npc.
    (How WOULD you make babies? Would you set the mood, get into bed with them and have it fade to black? What about GAY marriage??)

KingChackle likes this.
  5. Jedesis

Jedesis Ketchup Robot

I like this idea it would add depth to Starbound and just for role-playings sake. Anyway on Skyrim I don't even bother with my family I just have them so they could fill the empty halls of my house(Not saying this in a nasty way). But great idea. ;-)

Anyway I just want the kids to know that they have a world-saving dragon slaying dad! ;-)

6. SteelRaptor53

SteelRaptor53 Void-Bound Voyager

You see when a male and a female love eachother very much...

7. ChaoticGamer

yea very much they might over due...love....and this love goes beyond and endless point that you might get stuck in it and keep going like the rabbits does in its hole. :rofl:

Note: I didn't say anything.

8. Mr. Mystery

Mr. Mystery Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No.
    Just...
    No.

edit (b4igetintrble):
    My reasoning:
    This would be completely useless (unless in an RPG server, which could probably be modded anyway), I'm not even sure how it would fit. These kinds of things belongs in The Sims. Not 2d sci-fi space games. I mean, there's no room for it. How many times do you check up on your wife in Skyrim? Yep, thought so. I mean, it would just get annoying (for me anyways). This would probably work much better as a mod.

9. ChaoticGamer

No of what of no? Got me question what your saying in your answer. About which no of no-no of what no-no-know-no of what or simple no of something of something you don't want get involved?

10. Shot846

Shot846 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't really like this :U

Babies?.... No.

11. ChaoticGamer

why hate babies? When it is very interesting sciences goes beyond what happen of mixing races and hows ur baby will end up looking like at the end.

12. Shot846

I dont hate them just they dont fit in the game. this game is not a "Family" game... xd and definietly not sims.........

13. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

14. Shot846

Try mixing robots with aqua race... Im sure its a good baby................ -.- You CANNOT mix races like in real life with different animals...

15. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can, with the magic of SPLICING! This is a Sci-Fi game, anything is possible.

16. Bolt

Bolt Cosmic Narwhal

I like it and don't like it at the same time.

I like it because its new that Starbound could add but then you would have to create the supplies like the babies clothes, dippers, etc. I don't think Starbound should turn into a marrying and raising up kids game.

17. Shot846

I just dont like.. thats all.. lol Bolt: "think Starbound should turn into a marrying and raising up kids game." Yeah sims here.. Simsbound... ITS a very big NOOOOOO!

18. Schatzy

Schatzy Starship Captain

I personally think this is a bad idea. No thanks...

Shot846 likes this.
  19. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

I checked up on her daily, to get the money she makes.

20. Trowzers

Trowzers Existential Complex

Nope. No. Not just because personally this doesn't appeal to me, but:
    • because this would take dev time away from other features I DO want.
    • This sounds too much like the Sims
    • On multiplayer servers it would put griefing on a whole new level ('He killed mai babby!', 'We're divorcing- help us divide our stuff!')
    • Too religiony. Religion in games is a scary concept.
    • There's just no need for it to be build into the game. You can easily RP marriage or bf/gf without a game mechanic. There will probably be pets - and let's face it, NPC babbies are pretty much just pets (unless you want a player babby, and that's just CREEPY)
    • I think the game will already have plenty of stuff for people who want to play house without developing specific stuff. If they concentrate on a wide range of decorative furniture, player creation/costume, cooking, other non-combat stuff, then it will be useful for everyones gameplay and RP, not just those who want marriage and babies.

Imtherenothere, Shot846 and Stargazer like this.