NPC Marriage and Babies

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by AirplaneRandy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Astral Cartographer

But maybe if we don`t like our child and he`s/she's getting in the way of things.... We can just uhm... ```send him/ away``

2. Arch-Mage Zandor

Arch-Mage Zandor Space Kumquat

Or he/she might have a little "Accident" when you take he/she for a walk
    "Oops i must've accidentally blown him up him woops"

Galaxy likes this.
  3. BeastsBloom

BeastsBloom Astral Cartographer

Lol these comments are just getting wierd!
    I think Marrige would be awesome but i found 3 problems
    1. How will babies be made. Would there be an option to click "make a baby" and then the screen will fade black?
    2. How would this work online? If you want to get married with an online friend, would that be possible?
    3. Would there be Gay marrige with adoption?

4. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

It would be put into simple use...Use ur imagination, not dwell in questions.

5. Assassinsillusion

Assassinsillusion Starship Captain

I feel this should not be a priority that would delay the game it would be a nice feature but it seems like something that should take the backseat and stay quiet for a while.

6. Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Eh I don't see this being useful. If you need a space waifu, go play mass effect. Also, we don't need babies because they're giving us pets to capture. Just pretend that six armed, 4 legged beast with horns is your intergalactic love child with that cute avian merchant NPC.
    /joking

7. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

you would need to keep children away from Florians they would have the tendency of "disappearing" (also how would this be able to work for genderless races such as Florians?

8. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

I would only want this if you could make a baby cannon and launch babies from the depth of space.

9. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

A robot and aqua race baby is an aqua race cyborg...

10. cederjack

cederjack Pangalactic Porcupine

Well good sir, after getting married (1-3 hours) your spouse gets a little chubby and after that (30 mins later) random pixels start to spin around your spouse and the pixels gather in to 1 spot and form the baby.

RexMori likes this.
  11. Kirsten

Kirsten Pangalactic Porcupine

I think having it sort of like how Harvest Moon: Animal Parade had it would be nice. You have a spouse, and one day they ask you if you want to have babies with them (adoption is an option). You buy a crib to prepare for the day you have one.

You wake up/return to the planet one day, to find that your spouse has procured an infant. Celebrate it's existence momentarily, and give it a name. Shortly thereafter, depending on it's personality, it will pick up odd jobs around the house/planet/space station if you request it. Stuff like caring for and/or harvesting your garden, tending to your pets, having a part time job (to bring in pixels), gathering wild/naturally occurring resources. Just simple things, and never too much. Having it/them gather large amounts of anything would be bad. You may have a maximum of 2 offspring.

In terms of Florans, plants may be sexless, but they are flowering plants, and flowers DO reproduce sexually. Though, they usually require an intermediate for fertilization, like a bee or fruit bat. In terms of Glitch, robots build cars every day, I'd think a humanoid, self-aware robot would be able to build its own offspring.

NPCs can have their favor for you increased by giving them gifts, talking to them once in a while, and doing quests for them. Though, I do not expect it to be as complicated as HM, perhaps each race favors certain items. For example Avians like plants, crops, & precious metals, and dislike roasted chickens; Glitches like nuts/bolts, batteries, & renaissance art, and dislike crumbly foods and buckets of water.

12. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

Adoption.

13. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

I find that marriage is probably highly unlikely to see among alien races, they have different cultures and possibly different reproductive strategies.

14. Cardbo

Cardbo Phantasmal Quasar

Marriage would be great in this game, especially if you're mate could accompany you around. However, I really don't like the baby idea. Time would pass too slowly(probably) for the baby to grow up and would just be for RP purposes.

If you really wanted babies, how about implementing them as furniture? You create a crib and after awhile the baby winds up in there moving around. If you wanted to interact with the baby, you'd interact with the crib.

15. litlbear

litlbear Subatomic Cosmonaut

we COULD just kill some mean old alien that was abusing the orphans, and adopt children.
    also, i don't think you should need all that priest stuff, you can do it yourself. i think it'd be VERY funny if you could steal each other's children on a multiplayer server, and this'd lead to law-enforcement being useful.

16. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

Oh dammit out of all threads to ressurect from the dephts of the forums...