Race meet the arachnioid

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by creca, Feb 23, 2015.

?

should the arachnioid be added?

1. yes

23.5%
  2. no

29.4%
  3. with refinement

47.1%
  1. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Well this is my first post, but if I manage to get support, I will add a lot more

Lore:The arachnioid race have always looked to science for answers from the very beginning, they cannot accept or comprehend using anything else, once they finally got to space, they went on a crazy exploration all over the place, they found out various things using labs put near stars and in the cold of space, a wave of many new power sources and many discoveries ensued, eventually they got to where we are today.

Description/physiology&psychology:
    the arachnioid race are semi-peaceful, scientific, and nature loving,despite their terrifying appearance, and will accept most new races with open arms, although if they run into a anti scientific race, or if they find nature being defiled, they will step in and defend, often violently, they have a spider like face with 4 eyes, short hair, and sideways moving fangs,their head is directly attached to the thorax with no neck (they are grouped together as the ceplothorax thanks to how little separation there is) although it wold look like the head's movement wold be restricted because of this, actually the opposite is true, they have excellent head motion, they also have an exoskeleton which is softest at the face to allow facial expressions and it's hardest at the chest,lower arms, and lower legs, the reason is to help block attacks, they have 3 opposable claws on each hand and foot( on the foot it's in a y shaped position, on the hand it's just one moved slightly higher than the others) also they have abdomens similar to spiders. arachnioid clothing resembles those of scientists, in fact many arachnioid are scientists. Arachnioid have a difficult time understanding social concepts such as metaphors, sarcasm, and a variety of humor, and when they attempt any of those, they fail miserably.true, arachnioid, if provoked, will defend themselves , and they bite only when it's the only option, symptoms of the bite are as follows
    Stage1:the victim suffers nausea and starts to vomit
    Stage2:the victim vomit`s blood & other vital fluids
    Stage3:the victim vomit`s organs
    Usually, after stage three,the victim dies, so don't put an arachnioid in a life or death scenario, they may bite.
    The arachnioid heart is actually 2 hearts, one located in the abdomen, the other in the chest, also arachnioid have a 2 part lung system, the book lungs and openings are located in the abdomen and the part that brings in air is located just above the abdomen, the brain is where you wold expect, the head, and the motor center is located right behind the arms and upper heart, the arachnioid stomach is located in the lower ceplothorax and both the small and large intestine is in the abdomen, and most other organs are in the ceplothorax, their blood is clear, resembling water, and it free flowing through the body ,although it is facilitated by short"chardioids", the muscle is surprisingly strong, thanks to ample oxygen supplies.Arachnioid exoskeleton does a pretty good job of defending it from attacks , but once it breaks, it makes the arachnioid very susceptible to attack, and arachnioid cannot stay in cold climates for too long or their blood will freeze over and kill them, and they cannot stay in hot climates for long or they will be cooked alive. The differences between male and female are as follows:
    Male:
    slightly smaller
    smaller abdomen
    pedipalps
    Female:
    the obvious one
    larger
    No pedipalps

And here's the customization options:
    Abdomen shape
    Fang shape
    Abdomen angle
    Eye arrangement
    And before you ask, yes they can spin web,in fact ,they use that to hold their buildings in place

Evolution: the arachnioid started out as a small,6 legged, creature with 2 body segments and a head permanently fixed in a forward position, then the evolution of the 2nd part of the respiratory system brought upon some changes, first the arachnioid grew a lot bigger now that their body's ability to bring in oxygen has increased, then they got a more upright stance thanks to the muscles growing stronger due to increased oxygen,the 3rd pair of legs became more of a burden than a help so they got rid of them, and they developed a more tribal life style, and at some point, they agreed that it is wrong to murder other arachnioid for food, then they agreed that it was wrong to murder anything that moves for food, so they ate stationary animals, then with the discovery of metals and how to forge them, the arachnioid civilization skyrocketed, without religion to slow scientific progress, they got to the space age in as little as 14 generations after the initial discovery of fire based propulsion, then they discovered that pollution was starting to affect the environment, so they built Dyson rings, Much like a Dyson sphere except with multiple rings instead of a complete sphere as to avoid blocking the star, then came the discovery of the other races which is where we are today.

Culture:
    Arachnioid society is based upon fact and science, although they do enjoy fictitious novels , movies ,and art. Arachnioid do not have anything against nudity,leading them to be labeled "filthy disgusting pigs"by some humans, arachnioid also allow a form of grefettie called "abberesq" , this is done by spinning webs in patterns then spray painting it, and arachnioid allow criticism of the government, no documents are kept secret, including government documents, so the citizens know everything about their government, although embarrassing documents of citizens are kept secret. Arachnioid love to paint nature and natural scenes such as predictor and prey, animals sleeping, and etcetera.the most common genera of book is science fiction, followed by fantasy,and a genera they call hypothetical fiction.

religion/morality: arachnioid despise religion, because many religious beliefs ban science, so the arachnioid have banned religion, there are arachnioid who practice religion and those individuals are asked politely to leave and their funding is reduced, if they don't do science because of religion, then their funding is cut entirely.a few have left to practice religion on their own. Arachnioid offer sanctuary to refugees of different species, especially avians and glitch. Arachnioid also find it morally wrong to harm nature, so they attempt to incorporate nature into their civilization, and they only synthesize food off planet in order to preserve the nature on the planet below, and they never eat sentient beings, or even beings with the ability to perceive anything, all the food they eat is sintheticly produced.

Alliances:
    The arachnioid relationships with the other races are as follows

Apex: not really a friend or foe

Floran: thanks to their destructive nature, they aren`t on the best of terms

Novakid: truly neutral because novakid tend to forget completely about arachnioid untel they are rediscovered

Avian: they absolutely hate each other

Humans: some are considered allies, others enemy's

Hylotl: allied thanks to somewhat similar interests

Glitch: some distrust from the glitch thanks to the arachnioid`s high level of advanced technology,in fact, the glitch refer to arachnioid as "witches" and "demons" even thought there very friendly in terms of relations

And relations with some other race ideas I've seen:

Phobe:at first the arachnioid were terrified of the phobe but once they got to know each other they became great allies

Oscura:arachnioid are extremely angry at them for destroying ecosystems without a care

Ethernals:arachnioid feel sorry that their home planet was ravaged by a virus, so they've been trying to recreate the conditions of the home planet based on descriptions given by ethrnals

Drail(God I hope I spelled that right):the arachnioid are drawn to the drail thanks to somewhat similar psychology, and they commonly get tons of stone and other material from them

Technology/advancement:
    An you may have guessed, arachnioid are very advanced, all their technology is powered by renewable resources, and some is powered by the pollution that was produced years ago, most pollution powered tech is now obsolete thanks to there being no pollution to power it, also , arachnioid have found a way to harden gas, allowing them to make instantaneous weapons, bridges, structures, and more, but those are mostly temporary, and they can harden mercury at an instant to make semi solid materials, these are reusable but still temporary, and arachnioid have made biological structure, these on the other hand are permanent, and arachnioid still use metals, and arachnioid have found a way to bend space,time to allow both faster travel and faster communication.Arachnioid care more about functionality rather than aesthetic value, therefore most of their tech is unsightly, usually it looks very blocky and angular, most other races veer away from arachnioid tech , even though it's pretty effective.

Items/gear:
    Arachnioid gear(well some of it)is as follows

Gas sword: a weak but fast sword that breaks after 5 hits ,but it rebuilds itself after 7 seconds

Gas base:a temporary settlement that requires a lot of materials to build, and only last for 3 days, you have 20 when you start out

Lighting sword: a sword made of mercury that is electrically charged and causes electric damage(obviously)

Mercury sword: a sword that uses mercury and causes poison

Gas bridge: a bridge made out of gas and liquid asbestos, they are reusable but dangerous to stand on for too long, if you stand on one for too long,you may get lung poisoning or the bridge may break

Mercury mine:a mine that, when explodes, releases vaporized mercury,poisoning the air for a limited time, then liquid mercury condenses on the ground

Electric cannon: blast an electrically changed gas, very damaging but hard to make

If there is anything I should add ,please inform me

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

I'm guessing the reason everyone's voting no is because:

A.aracnaphobia

B.not well conceived of an idea

C.someone already thought of this

D.lack of a visual reference

E.all of the above

3. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

I have a sckech of an arachnioid, please use this untel I can make a better one 150303_134231.png

Might I add , I'm not good at digital art

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. ScrubNiggurath

ScrubNiggurath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the main reason people aren't voting in favor of this is due to their similarity to hylotls making them borderline redundant, I for one am indifferent on the idea of hippie scientist spiders. If they are added though their buildings better have some awesome furniture.

5. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Ah ok, so it's the psychology ok ,I was just trying to portray spiders as good guys instead of the whole "I'm gonna suck your organs out" stereotype(also I was baseing them off myselfe)

And as for the furniture, I plan for scientific furniture made of light and metal, as for chairs and benches, I plan for a web seat and light frames
    As for the buildings themselves, surrounded by web that holds the buildings in place, and the buildings are floating

If you have any suggestions, feel free to add them

And for some reason, I think the line "hippy scientists spiders" was hilarious

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I don't intend on offending anybody with this, but here are my thoughts on the idea... You show that the arachnoid are hugely scientific, but are too similar to the hylotl and have a rather overdone culture. Not to mention their clashing/underdeveloped lore. While I really like the concept of super sapient spiders, I feel like some of the cultural ideas are a bit... Dull... Here's my suggestion, drop the interspecies lore and start over their history from the beginning. I know it sounds harsh, but I honestly think that your race has plenty of potential. The technological advances that could come with snap-solidifying liquids would be huge. You could probably make them a bit more tech centric rather than mele centric Although freezing light and bending spacetime is very much OP. (Though I do like the portal2 reference) Maybe you could make it freezing gases instead. As for cultural/technological theme, I feel that full blown cyberpunk would work rather well for this. Maybe something along the lines of "Akira" and "Blade runner", maybe with a bit of "Dune" mixed in. With visual art... Lots and lots of colorful art... (Imagine the city from "blade runner", but a ton more colorful!)
    Good luck with building the race. And I'm sorry if any of my criticism offended or upset you.

7. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Thanks, I was wondering what to fix, and no I take no offence, in fact ,I congratulate you

8. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Also, I might have trouble getting art, considering the fact that I'm no good at digital art ,and I have incredible sketches but no scanner to upload them with

9. Jareix Cryvix

Assuming were making a mod only race (due to the shape not really fitting with the main game) maybe it could look something like this wall creeper from terraria. [​IMG] Except cyberpunky and on its hind legs. sort of like a spider-taur or something like that.
    If you want I could get to work on modifying the sprite.
    (Though modding wise, I'm not making the transition from .merge to .patch very well.)

10. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Awesome, and the eyes and colour are pretty close, but preferably a more spider like mouth[DOUBLEPOST=1425587636][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I was more of thinking that the arachnioid wold only have 4 limbs after years of evolution(2 arms and 2 legs) and I was originally planning to have them in the main game, and I'm using a kindle so I can't see the sprite you posted

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  11. Jareix Cryvix

Oh... Okay then... Though, hate to burst your bubble, but there are two other race suggestions/mods that are about anthropomorphic arthropods, and, no offense, but they are a lot more likely to get into the main game. Besides, if we make this into a mod, we have a ton more freedom to work with if we do decide to make it unique. Plus, I honestly think that mods are going to be how chucklefish will keep this game alive in the future. Much like minecraft. (Think about how popular it would have been if modding was totally unsupported.)

12. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Oh ok, well, mod or main game, I just was hoping for main game but mod will do too, besides, I have an idea for a lead based race that's a lot more likely to become main game anyway, I just wanted to take my shot at it, and just hoping it would hit, but hey, aim for the moon, and land amongst the stars

13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

We require all posts to be in English, or provide a translation.

14. NoTimeForStalin

NoTimeForStalin Pangalactic Porcupine

Instead of themeing them on being scientists, make them vikings/norse raiders. Then I (and hopefully others) will love them even more.

15. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Sorry, the scientist part is almost a definite, but if you have any more suggestions, please let me know, and thanks for the feedback, the more I receive, the more informed and skilled I become, hopefully, maby,idk

16. NoTimeForStalin

darn, i really want viking bugs but I am too lazy to make my own thread about it.

17. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Maybe I could help you? How about a wasp like race of Norse conquerors?

18. NoTimeForStalin

No thanks, I might eventually do it but not for a while.

19. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Oh,ok. But thanks anyway

20. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

For those wondering, this has become a mod suggestion, so modifiers, pleas get on it