1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Meet the Avali - (Original and fluffy)

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Jan 6, 2014.

1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I'd rather set it up as a tech, though to stay in line with the other races balancewise it'd make more sense as a racial armour bonus - which has the added advantage of being able to just copy-paste the avian racial bonus when it comes. Not that i like the idea of them sharing a racial bonus, but Avali are the ones with wings not avians ;)

2. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Yeah that does make sense in terms of balance but it does feel better as a racial tech honestly.

Can't wait to try these little guys out~

Fullapple1991 likes this.
  3. Nalkari

Nalkari Void-Bound Voyager

Same here xD

4. Fullapple1991

Fullapple1991 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The armors are all fancy and stuff, BUT, will they be in diferent colours? If so then that's awesome! Other whise, it'll be very armor to identefy the armor the person is weraring(Since almost all the tiers are in white). :\

5. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

I like the armor so far. Kinda gives me a "predator" type feel. Primitive but futuristic.

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I'm currently experimenting. There's two paths I'm looking at; one being to make the bulk of the armour colourable (Starting in it's default light grey), granted the dye system doesn't work properly yet. But people'll be able to re-dye it if desired. The second option is to keep the armour it's default colour, but add coloured trim to parts of it, that again are dyable and also indicate armour quality.

I don't plan to make the different armour qualities completely different colours, the armour is essentially the same set, just with additional components (In the same way real soldiers armour is made up of many components, ballistic vest, harness, packs, helmet, goggles, land warrior system etc - a soldier wearing more of the set doesn't suddenly repaint his armour to indicate that he has additional ballistic plates installed :p )

Anyway. I planned to have the mod out by now but got waylaid by an unexpected turn of events. Plan to have it out in the next hour or two before I go bed.

Here's my to-do list:
    + Finish last two frames of far-arm walk animation
    + Finish last 3 far-arm swim animation frames
    + Polish up codex entries
    + Fix buggy tier 2 shield
    + Add some more prefixes to name generator

See - easy ;)

7. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

I like the trim idea. Gives it more of a "ranking feel" in terms of status. That and you could probably get away with that easier.

8. Kriptini

Kriptini Zero Gravity Genie

Hey, Ryuujin! Just wanted to say that I think the Avali are really cool and I'm excited that you're making them! I have a question for you: would this mod only need to be installed on the client-side in order to play as an Avali on a Starbound server with the way the current system works?

9. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Actually thanks for reminding me. I did need to find out if I had to get everyone that joins my server to get the mod still or not or if they could just join.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

My long term plan BTW is to actually have *2* racial armour sets which become more complex with tier. The idea being that one set will give tech bonuses, the other set will give health bonuses
    To be honest, I havn't a clue

I'm still really uncertain of how the server/client mechanics work in this game. I would expect that the multiplayer server needs the mod installed too so that it can properly handle the new items if nothing else. Likewise, I do know that the client end needs access to the sprite sheets, and the server does not distribute those yet, so clients will need the mod too. I also have good reason to believe that any clients running into an avali without the client mod installed on their own end will probably crash out.

tl;dr:
    Both server and clients need the mod installed... probably.

I would be interested in hearring if anyone can get it to work in a client/client situation on the same server where the server itself lacks the mod but both clients have the mod

11. Nethellus

Nethellus Master Chief

So when's the sequel of Whom Gods Destroy coming out?

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

*gack* - Nethellus?!

Now there is someone I'm happy to see again- Please tell me you'll be lending your creative skills to Starbound too ;)

(As for the sequel, you can read all about that here )

13. Nethellus

Nethellus Master Chief

I have a ton of adventures as well that will never be finished, so I know how it is.

I don't really mod games any more though, I like to make my own, like this one:
    It might be about as hard as Braintree.

This race looks amazing though, and seeing it made me certain that it was actually you. =)

EDIT: Didn't mean for the video to appear like that but whatever, I'm going to sleep.

14. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

15. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

And downloaded. Will test momentarily.

16. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Loving it so far.

17. Kytteh

Kytteh Void-Bound Voyager

.....Well I'm sold already and I haven't even tried the mod yet.
    I did have a suggestion for a racial lance type weapon for end game. I was thinking of a lance that projects a mid range energy wave when thrust at a target.

18. Nalkari

Nalkari Void-Bound Voyager

It looks great :)

19. RainbowShy

RainbowShy Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

frowns. I can't seem to get the third one right...

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I think today's project is going to be to get the basics of the ship implemented. I'm torn between making a completely unique ship on a similar scale to the standard ships, or keeping the ship the same internal dimensions as the default ships for balance. (Below pic is a very fast and rough concept test in-game)

[​IMG]

Those pics are from an earlier version, there's been some adjustments to the sprites and palette options since, you might not be able to replicate it precisely anymore.

Kawa likes this.