1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Meet the Avali - (Original and fluffy)

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Jan 6, 2014.

1. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm really liking this so far. :D

However, there are a couple of things I'd like to suggest:
    - I'd really like to see the heads at more of a front-facing 3/4 angle, so that they look like they're facing the same direction as the default races.
    - As it currently is, the Avali's sprites don't quite seem to fit in with the Starbound universe. (This is most noticeable when standing next to another race.) I personally believe this to be because of the heavier usage of the darkest "outline" color. Maybe you could find a way to reduce that?

Also, due to the complexity of the coloring on the sprites, it can be a bit difficult to pick out one part from another. (The pic you have with the Glitch talking to the Avali is a good example.)

I don't mean to sound whiny, because I really do like this mod. I'm just eager to see it get polished so that it looks like something that could have been an official part of the game.

I'm also really eager for the racial clothing to be implemented. The concept art looks great. :)

edit: Regarding your development of the ship, since it sounds like Chucklefish has plans to make it so that you'll be able to upgrade your ship in the future (whether that means making your ship larger or getting a new ship altogether, I don't know), I think you should stick with the default starter ship internal dimensions. At least for the time being.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Nah I agree with you. Technically their head model is at a 3/4 angle, but their muzzle hides their far eye giving the impression of side-on at this resolution (If you look closely you'll see you can see the coloured band on the far side of their muzzle). Now you call my attention to it though i may see if I can use the lighting to make that clearer

BTW - folks should use this thread from now:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/avali-race-mod.63808/

EDIT: - let's see how this goes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. RainbowShy

RainbowShy Pangalactic Porcupine

the ship is nice, the palette changes not so much. :(

4. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I see, the old palette had a candy-pink:
    [​IMG]

I'll slip that back in for the next patch; what good is a race mod if you can't paint them bright pink :p

5. RainbowShy

RainbowShy Pangalactic Porcupine

6. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

Also, Im glad that you chose to be more creative with sexual dimorphism,human style breasts on aliens just seems unlikely.

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

As you say, it's unlikely that a non-mammalian-alien would evolve to have breasts; but it's equally unlikely that alien males would come equipped the same way too right?

...let's just say I thought about that. (If you want to know more I suggest you look up bird reproduction :p)

8. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

mammalian is a term specific for earth life, A cold blooded alien invertibrate might have organs similer in function to mammeries, but there is no reason it has to be specific to a particular sex of the organism, and, would probably not look anything like the ones humans have.

Also, many animals breasts dont actually become noticable until after pregnancy, humans are one of few exceptions

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Huh... now you say that, I wonder why only females have them in terrestrial life. Doesn't seem very efficient when both parents could help raising offspring if both genders had them. o_O

Well, anyways - we'd best not derail the thread :p - I'm sure natural selection had a good reason.