Race Meet the Drale

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Camera, Apr 22, 2013.

1. NinjaBoffin

NinjaBoffin Big Damn Hero

Finally! A dragon based race!

2. Haku

Haku Subatomic Cosmonaut

:coffee:I approve

3. Iso

Iso Intergalactic Tourist

Seems kind of generic...

4. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

cool race

5. Bulldogie00

Bulldogie00 Void-Bound Voyager

Absolutely fantastic.

(All dem people from blockland!)

6. Soron

Soron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

:cool: Cool!

7. .:FancyPants:.

.:FancyPants:. Pangalactic Porcupine

You could say that about most of the race suggestions, though.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  8. That's why you gotta try to not be Generic! Give it a sense of uniqueness!

9. Camera

Camera Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found it difficult to make a dragon race that isn't generic while still looking like a dragon. :(

EDIT: Going to spruce up the History a bit later. I think it needs to sound more like a story.

10. Aeronaut

Aeronaut Pangalactic Porcupine

Difficult, perhaps, but this one that you've made clearly isn't generic (in my opinion). Not only have you created sprites, but you have shown off a selection of cosmetic appearance options as well as a wide variety of coloration. I'm not a huge fan of the winged sprites and some of the lore, but it's quite clear that you have put a lot of effort into the idea.

They're supposed to be dragons, and they look the part. Perhaps more importantly, they look absolutely nothing like any of the currently confirmed in-game races (in the sense that they are unique). I would welcome the addition of Drale to Starbound and I really hope the developers consider adding them to the game. :)

11. Daswiruch

Daswiruch Aquatic Astronaut

Pretty nice! I would like to see this added to the game.

12. Pappaknox

Pappaknox Phantasmal Quasar

If this race gets added, this would be the first I'd play as.

13. Camera

Updated history to make it better if not longer.

14. Soron

Soron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

He and Ossemir.

For me they are in the top 5, I do not have chosen other ...

Maybe the Medusans but the developers will not recreate a colision and armor ... So I do not make me hope.

15. Kethrius

Kethrius Orbital Explorer

To be honest this is the first of the reptilian races that caught my eye, mostly due to the great work you did with the sprites.
    I know I'm just going to harp on the uniqueness of them, but I do think their history/back-story could use some improvement. I suppose you need to give the race a "feel," much like how we all certainly understand the avians as barbaric zealots. The Drale simply need a concept that flows with them as well, giving them a distinct identity from all the other races besides their reptilian appearance.

I was going to make a post myself about a reptilian race, but seeing a fantastic one here I suppose I'll drop my archetype here just to spark some ideas. Why not try the theme of ancient technology? The Drale could be a great race that has already spread through the stars but due to a cataclysmic event eon in the past, have been reverted to an almost tribal stage. Whether it was a war, a scientific experiment gone wrong, or a supernatural event, none of them quite know. The only thing they do know at this time is that the highly advanced derelict artifacts on all their home planets hold the answer to this question. I picture these artifacts almost forerunner(from Halo) like in appearance, with the Drale having a constantly growing understanding of their old civilization's tools, weapons, vehicles, and past.

Do what you will with my suggestion, but I think you're doing a great job with what you have and I certainly hope the developers add this race into the game ^_^

Omega-9124 likes this.
  16. Omega-9124

Omega-9124 Industrial Terraformer

This seems like an excellent idea to me. I would love to see this race added.

They need a little polish (as had already been brought out) But they look good otherwise!

Very good suggestion. :D

17. Camera

Yeah perhaps I need to add some stuff concerning some future possibilities. Perhaps what dragons they're based on?

18. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

I'm feeling like everyones forgotten the Dragoknights exist.

Unfortunately I don't support this idea, I've never been a fan of humanoid dragons in science fiction and I don't feel this race is all that unique.

19. Sloth of Space

Sloth of Space Seal Broken

Oh these are just ADORABLE. Nice job! And the idea of a dragon/lizard race is pretty popular, so I can see something similar to this happening.

20. Kethrius

Kethrius Orbital Explorer

If the fact that we are referencing them as dragons is such an issue, I'm sure a simple name change could suffice. Instead they could be called say, Kyridians for example, being known more colloquially among the other races as "drakes". I don't something as trite as their association with dragons should count out their possible value.