Race Meet the Felix, Bovem & Faceless: cats, cows'n parasites

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by darkrown, Dec 9, 2013.

1. darkrown

darkrown Scruffy Nerf-Herder

heya guys! here's my race ideas,w hich I'm piling all into one thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Concept of a Felix Pirate

The Felix are one of the more interesting young races in the galaxy. Uplifted by the benevolent Bovem from their desert homeworld, they quickly rose to proeminence due to their outstanding inclination towards offensive technology. Prowess in battle is one of the most important aspects of the Felix society; as such, valiant warriors quickly ascend the social hierarchy and more easily attain political influence, while the weak are forced to settle for crafting or industry jobs.

Coming from a desert planet, the Felix are by default accustomed to hot climates, high day-night temperature shifts and low humidity, although this does mean they have a lower resistance to cold. Their feline constitution also makes the Felix great spies. Nimble and light, they can naturally move unseen and unheard and are exceptionally agile. Although most Felix are rash and quicktempered, they can also be cunning and deceptive when the situation calls for it. One too many merchant ships have fallen prey to apparently disabled Felix ships, only to be jumped moments later by bandits laying in wait. Just be careful when crossing Felix space. They love a good fight.

●Feline race
    ●Moves a bit faster, jumps a bit higher than the other races
    ●Temperature meter drops faster when exposed to cold
    ●Unique armor effect: Extra weapon damage? (open to debate/ideas)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Concept of a Bovem Guard

Although to some they might appear slow and even a bit dumb, do not be fooled by their appearance. Their movements might not be graceful, but the minds of the Bovem more than make up for it. With a knack for both constructing and dismatling, they might just be the most mechanized race in the whole universe. Hundreds of years ago, when an Apex research ship crashed on their homeworld, the Bovem proved their remarkable ability by reverse engineering and perfecting their own version of the Apex's interstellar star travel drive, which allowed them to start colonizing other planets and begin their expansion in the galaxy.

Peaceful, but highly intelligent, the Bovem cities are outstanding, not necessarily through the advancement of technology, but due to its abundance. The Bovem constantly develop new machinery and devices to aid them in even the most menial of tasks; this doesn't mean that they laze off, since most have a knack for personally constructing and working on their inventions. This passion for technology has drawn the attention of the other races in that the Bovem have become exceptionally succesful traders. After all, when it's Bovem made, it'll last you a lifetime.

●Bovine race
    ●Moves at a slower pace than the other races, but is a bit more resilient
    ●Energy bar decreases slower
    ●Unique armor effect: More energy for operating machinery?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Concept of a Faceless Explorer

A peculiar bunch, the faceless suddenly made an appearance on the galactic scene a few years ago when they unearthed a ruined ship and managed to get up and running. Calling them a 'race' is a bit farfetched, since the Faceless is actually a parasite with a common conscience, to which they are independent bodies are attached. As such, even though individuals display independence of thought and act, all Faceless are connected and can communicate telepathically and learning is a shared experience. They can also 'meld' at an atomic level with non-living items and add them to their shared network; while they can not directly control them, this allows them to keep track of said items' location and also interact with them at a molecular level (this is how they repaired the damaged ship and also how they control their existant ones).
    The Faceless 'reproduce' by infecting the dead bodies of other living things, regardless of their nature. Humanoid, plants, animals, everything goes. Many curious travelers have risked trying to see what lies under the Faceless' masks, but the truth is that the mask is actually part of their bodies, and functions partially as a face; while it can not display emotion, each mask has its own distinct patter to distinguish amongst them, with milions of possible patterns existing. However, despite their unsettling appearance and unfortunate premise, the Faceless are not hostile at all, but extremely curious to learn and add to their network everything there is to know about the galaxy. Couple that with the fact that death is never permanent for the faceless - their independent device is simply reconstructed on one of their worlds - and you have some of the most reckless of explorers in the whole universe.
    However, there are those Faceless who achieve a degree of sentience that allows them to tear apart from the network; these are shunned and considered outcasts. In turn, these Faceless begin colonizing planets of their own, and forming their own separate networks, which have the same potential as the main one.

●Parasitic rase
    ●Unique armor effect: Health regeneration?
    Welp, that's all I have so far. The idea list is just that- ideas. I'm aware that most of the existant races don't have differences in energy/ health/ weapon damage and so on, but these ideas sounded well enough in my head, so I'm putting them up here anyway. Any input whatsoever is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. NinjaKec

NinjaKec Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love both of these. I'd definitely change my race to BovemX3

3. Conir

Conir Void-Bound Voyager

please dont add race-traits, it goes against the base game design... but then again, it is your mod :)

4. NinjaKec

NinjaKec Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really like the idea of race traits, but maybe if the mods don't like it you could add it to the "abilities their racial armor gives them" listX3

5. darkrown

Ye, as I mentioned in the thread, those are just shiny ideas to fit the lore. And I'm not planning to make a mod anytime soon; just keeping my finger crossed for the devs to add more animal races xD

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. Lukehi

Lukehi Space Hobo

Bump. Please make Bovem real!

7. darkrown

Added the Faceless, a parasite tentacly race. This is beggining to look more and more like a japanese fetish thread q.q oh wells. Some art coming soon c:

8. darkrown

bumpitty bump. Added some concept art, more on the way :D

9. myNours

myNours Space Hobo

Really great, would definitely play Bovem with their cute little horns!

10. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

I really like these races. I would love to see these races in game. I like how the Felix and the Bovem have somewhat connected histories. I hope you are able to make the race's armor sprites somewhat soon. I would just absolutely love to see what they look like.

11. darkrown

Thanks, everyone! Seems like the Bovem are getting the most love, lol

Working on it :D

GunmanRex likes this.
  12. darkrown

bump? moar feedback would be nice c:

13. niviman

niviman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well I think cats should look a bit different, and faceless should get a realistic name, other than that +1

14. Sethyra

Sethyra Big Damn Hero

wheeere i can download it?

15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

This isnt a mod, just an idea.

16. Sethyra

Sethyra Big Damn Hero

oh noooo- D: I really love these races (the best ive seen so far. I really really would love to see those in game

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

There are some very good race mods out there, but you need to look in the right place. The Suggestions subforum is simply for... well, suggestions. Most race suggestions won't have a mod; if they do, it'll be clearly stated. But the modding subforum definitely has what you're looking for.

http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/races.112/

Relten likes this.
  18. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

I like but needs more work

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Bear in mind that this thread was dead for more than 2 years before it was necro'd.

Relten and PabloElPuas like this.
  20. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

I had not noticed but still well the proposal is wel