Race Meet the Oscura

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Unendingfear, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Should it be added to the game?

1. Yes please

450 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. With Improvements

204 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. No way

75 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. rayzorsan

rayzorsan Space Hobo

Very cool and original concept. They definitely have some suave.

2. Ianuarius

Ianuarius Orbital Explorer

You've been hit by a SMOOTH CRIMINAL!
    [​IMG]
    This move just makes all kindsa sense to me! Awesome concept! Keep em comin'! :up: YOU ROCK!

3. theMarg0r

theMarg0r Orbital Explorer

Posting original version. If someone complains, let it be known that rabid hambosacks can go suck it.

Now that's out of the way.

I think this is the way to go. I think they should be dangerously flammable as well. Not in-game, but at least in their lore write-up. They're still made mostly of petroleum, right? Not sure how that'd work in a society like theirs, I guess their clothes would be make of greatly flame-resistant materials. Or maybe "inocculating" injections of a chemical that lessens this weakness, and most people don't actually know what it's for, because it's part of the conspiracy.

Unendingfear likes this.
  4. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

Haha, great song that fits them well. I love those classic type of songs.

Yeah, it's been pretty well agreed upon since their inception that they'd be very flammable. That tends to the case for all fuels; they're no exception. Perhaps I should add that somewhere on the front page? Vaccination conspiracies? Even more fun to add to the mix.

5. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Got to say, I don't really like the gangster style look but... DAT LORE. Its got to be said, the lore is really impressive with this race. You get my vote just for that.

Unendingfear likes this.
  6. Unendingfear

Many thanks for the compliment.

Not all of them would have a gangster vibe to them. There'd be fancy suits and factory worker outfits. The artists have taken a shine to the gangster outfits, though.

7. Kingpendragon

Kingpendragon Big Damn Hero

Could you show us more ideas from the "shadow" part of the lore? They think they're living shadows, how this reflect in their culture and their interaction with other races?

8. Unendingfear

Well, it's why the other races tend to keep their distance from them, outside of trade. Shadow people have been present in many cultures historically (to an extent), so it's not all that unreasonable that many of the other races would have similar mythologies and be reluctant to try to get to know them. There's a little bit of nervous tension there.
    Culturally, it's what's conditioned them not to really question the rampant aerial pollution. Because of this, they've grown to accept that the sun isn't something they really need to see. They're not photophobic, but it's something within the culture certainly. It's led to them being a little bit colder of a culture, in terms of relationships.

I'll admit, I do need to flesh the whole part out with greater detail. I'm always open to suggestions and ideas.

9. Hexcel

Hexcel Master Chief

Interesting concept! I always liked 'colony' creature ideas.

For the whole Shadow Conspiracy lore, I'd say they're probably have a pretty complex psychological relationship with light. On one hand, you'd expect them to have an aversion to too much light. Wide-brimmed hats and trenchcoats must be popular for traveling off-world. On the other hand, what happens to shadows when the lights go out...? I expect they try to keep some form of light around them at all times. Night-lights in every room perhaps, that sort of thing?

(As an aside, I admit the Header Dame sold me on them instantly. Nice job, Fetalstar)

Unendingfear likes this.
  10. Unendingfear

Yeah, that seems to be a reasonable possibility right there. I'd imagine something along the lines of some dim, orange-ish light.
    Something like
    [​IMG]

but dimmer, of course. It'd be great for the atmosphere, I'd imagine. Just enough to see without it being too bright.

11. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

the character look so familiar....what was that show name again?

12. Unendingfear

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
    These weren't really designed off of existing characters.
    Apologies.

13. ChaoticGamer

I meant the show about there is a girl who cyclops that is with robot, human guy, that pink crab, old guy, chinese or asian lady, green mars-hen guy, and hip black guy. It look like the cyclops girl

14. Unendingfear

Ooh, might you mean Futurama?

ChaoticGamer likes this.
  15. Taokaka

Taokaka Void-Bound Voyager

please just make these official already they're so cool

the only other thing I'd like to see though, is for their sprite to either look more like they're flowing, or be animated to do so. Or track sludge as they walk, I dunno.

Unendingfear likes this.
  16. ChaoticGamer

yea, that is the one. it really look almost alike , all you need to do to her just eq. dat mafia clothing and give her tommy gun and then bang, you got the same person view.

17. Unendingfear

I'd certainly love to see a sprite like that as well. Would look pretty fascinating. Alternatively, they could have "bubbles" on the sprite, kind of like some of the art that's been made of them. Customization might even be able to include bubble patter or something.

18. Radiguet

Radiguet Space Hobo

Nice.
    A dieselpunk race ;)

19. Sishio

Sishio Big Damn Hero

Hello I am mr loreperson McOilpants.

They're taught in schools that they're covered in a special film that repels light, also giving them a slightly changeable form (though only the low classes allow their hands and feet to "spill out", it's seen as a sign of low class and being a "worker" to the higher castes, kind of like really rough and calloused hands.). They do kind of avert themselves from bright lights and the sun, not because of anything they're taught, but because of the general "shadow goes away with light" idea.

Depends on the race, really. There's a lot of rumors about oscurans and other people, some say that they'll try to steal your soul if you touch them, so there's a bit of a taboo about making physical contact (these rumors are perpetuated by the shadow government, to dissuade people from touching them and asking questions about their oily texture.). Florans think of oscurans as a bit of an oddity, with the other races (Excluding novakids) they can eat or pillage them for parts, with the novakids and oscurans, they don't exactly know what to do. They still try to kill both of them, though. (Oscurans tend to revert to inert fossil fuels when they die.). As for the other races, they're usually either nervous, curious, or flat out frightened by oscurans. (Though it's not like the average oscuran will meet one. They're too busy working.)

Unendingfear and Kingpendragon like this.
  20. Kingpendragon

Kingpendragon Big Damn Hero

Random idea:
    Oscuran race/armor abilty could be seeing better in low light, and they have tech to use a fine smoke to darken the area, like some sort of "shadow generator".

Oscuran shows up -> whole area darkens -> "It's those shadow people, run!"

Unendingfear likes this.