Race Meet the Oscura

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Unendingfear, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Should it be added to the game?

1. Yes please

450 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. With Improvements

204 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. No way

75 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Sishio

Sishio Big Damn Hero

That's cool. I was thinking of a bonus in hostile environments, because they're oil and stuff.

Also it'd be cool if, in water, the oscura gradually mucked up the water where they're standing, it'd go away quickly, though. If you stayed for a tiny bit or walked around it'd be a tiny bit but if you stayed for like, five minutes, it'd be a moderate cloud (just around your character, max distance for it would be one block away from your sprite)

2. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

Mm, despite the lower societal-mobility, I wouldn't say that there's castes, though. That kind of stuff rarely works well with democracies, even if they are psuedo ones at that. It'd start to create civil unrest, and that's the exact opposite of what the shadow government would want. Smooth, like a well oiled machines, it's all about efficiency and making pixels. I imagine they might have something similar in their culture to the "American Dream."

3. Sishio

Sishio Big Damn Hero

Yea, castes isn't the right word, meant like, the "upper class" of oscurans.

Unendingfear likes this.
  4. Unendingfear

Alright. Some words carry a lot of baggage, caste is one of them.

Sishio likes this.
  5. Taokaka

Taokaka Void-Bound Voyager

I just think they need am ambient effect like the Novakids, they are living slimeballs after all, An option to select your effect would be awesome, like little bubbles rising from them and popping, their sprite flowing, orrrr, I dunno, maybe multiple.

Unendingfear likes this.
  6. Unendingfear

That'd certainly be a tall order for a sprite artist, but I'd love to see something like that. Would be quite interesting looking, to say the least.

7. Kingpendragon

Kingpendragon Big Damn Hero

By controlling their natural oil cicling process and carefully grooming him/herself, an Oscura may end up with two different oil colors: their natural oil+microorganisms combination and a layer of almost pure oil of a different kind.

Also, their fluid nature means that they can alter their shape to some degree. Of course no one trys to reshape their hands or feet, least they become useless, but the top of the head is a popular choice.

This leads to:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I personally like they with a single color, but this opens more customization possibility.

The colors:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are 12 colors, but all races have 10. I think the pink and either the whiteish or the light blue-grey are the ones that are less fitting with the race, but posted they all anyway.

Edit: Totally missed the extra colors in already in the front page. o_O

Relten and General Nuclear like this.
  8. Unendingfear

Haha, those are some great looking sprites you've got there.
    I'll definitely add those to the front page.
    Thanks, mate.
    The different hair colors is interesting. I prefer it all one solid color myself.
    I like the hairstyles as well.

Relten likes this.
  9. Taokaka

Taokaka Void-Bound Voyager

The hair, in the third one is good, it looks like it's slimy and flowing, because of the pixels in the middle, the model for them should have lines like that. Think Muk from pokemon.

Unendingfear likes this.
  10. Unendingfear

Yay, more sprites!
    Thanks to Arram for these ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice use of multiple colors here.

DubiousDastard and Kingpendragon like this.
  11. Arrem

Arrem Subatomic Cosmonaut

no problem! glad you liked them.

Unendingfear likes this.
  12. Unendingfear

Alright, well, I got the Oscura's government system detailed right here: http://pastebin.com/pC5t21kc
    I'd like some feedback and suggestions before I go about posting it on the front page. Do you all even think it's necessary?

13. Arrem

so they are 1920's hypercapitalists who have privatized everything? What's keeping the corporations just from taking over? in short, what keeps the government relevant since private corporations run the schools, the prisons and all the utilities of note?

14. Unendingfear

Well, the government is mostly delegated to the role of censorship, keeping the peace, and keeping stuff covered up. Not necessarily hyper-capitalists, they just don't provide those services. The government does do the law and order stuff. Perhaps I should have them expand the military to be moderately sized as well? Might ensure its place in society.
    This kind of stuff is why I go for advice and such before posting it on the front page. Kind of thinking back to the era they're largely based off of. 20s didn't really have a security net in society.

15. Arrem

that makes more sense because if they have an underfunded police force and a small military, any corporation with access to interstellar travel is just going to say pfft to the government and form their own corporate homeworld on planet Oscuran Starbucks III.

16. Unendingfear

Well, it wasn't the police force that's underfunded. That's really the main focus of their spending, actually. The money problems with the law and order system were the lower class's inability to afford "justice." I will probably edit it up to a moderately sized military as well. Should they still utilize private security companies, if that's the case?

17. Arrem

I'd say no, thematically. It'd fit the theme better if you had government marshals like Eliot Ness and the untouchables than corporate goons. the whole private police force and corporate fiefdoms would fit a different race better. at least that's my take on it.

Unendingfear likes this.
  18. Unendingfear

Alright, sounds good. I will rework that part, then. Never had the idea for private police, though. Thanks for the suggestions.

19. DubiousDastard

DubiousDastard Star Wrangler

I just want to say how much I LOVE this idea. I really hope these guys make it into the game at some point. They're just too great to pass up!

Unendingfear likes this.
  20. Unendingfear

Okay, I fixed up some of the stuff you mentioned in the lore.
    Need some more criticism, please.
    Should be on the same link, too.