Race Meet The Tueller

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Bonabopn, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Opinions?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Very Yes

36 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

[​IMG]

Freed from their pasts as former slaves, the Tueller are a species of Mouse-like aliens from the Edoll system. Their former owners, the Ikarota, were overthrown and conquered with the help of other galactic civilisations. They are a simple and impressionable race, having gained most of their understanding of the galaxy from the fractured remains of their planets' Worldwide Information Network. IE they read it all on the internet.

Species: Tueller (t-yer-ler) aka space mice

Description - Tueller are a short, rodent-like species from the edge of Gamma Sector. Their planet of origin is unknown, but their current home planet is Edoll-05. It is believed that their origin planet was conquered by the Ikarota* immediately upon their discovery, who bred them to use as mechanics and slaves.

Physiology - Tueller are, on average, about 1.05m tall and weight approximately 18kg. They are completely covered in fur about 2-3cm long, and possess two antennae upon their forehead, each ending in a small furred orb. Their tails are about 0.5m long and similarly end in a furred orb approximately 9cm in diameter. The fur on their head, particularly around the crown, is longer, resembling Human hair, and can reach up to 11cm - however, it is not true hair, as it does not grow past it's natural length.
    They possess a muzzle with whiskers, similar to a Terran rodent, and two large, round 'ears' - however these are not functional, as the Tueller hear through their antennae. Their hands have four digits with claws, and their feet also have four digits with similar claws. Their claws, although strong, are quite dull and are more suited to climbing than fighting.
    The Tueller are not known to have any distinctive markings, their fur consisting solely of a single colour - Naturally, this can be rust red, grey, off-white or brown; however they are fond of dying themselves various colours.

Breeding - While it is often inobvious, Tueller do have two separate genders. The males differ from the females in that [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED]

Senses - Contrary to popular belief, Tueller are not colour-blind. Their sight is actually fairly good, especially at short distances. Their antennae are used to hear, and they have an impressive hearing range. They have a sharp sense of smell, but their sense of taste is surprisingly inept.

Diet - Tueller are primarily scavengers, but their digestion is suited mainly towards nuts and seeds. Since their sense of taste is so dull, they are known to eat almost anything, and their cuisine is often not very appealing to other races.

Psychology - Tueller are a very friendly race. They are known to be particularly gullible, as lying is not very common in their culture. Most Tueller are noted to be charitable, seeing friends and family as more important than possessions. This likely stems from their background as slaves, and their inexperience with wealth.

Family - Family units of Tueller are known to reach 20-25 members. Often, orphans or lost children are adopted by a family. Tueller do not dwell on what a true family member is, and it is not uncommon for a family to forget a child's origin. Homosexuality is common among Tueller, and often Tueller do not understand the difference.

Government - The Tueller are ruled by a single political party, consisting of about 10 members. While the public do not vote on who is in power, most important decisions by the council are voted upon by the public.

Military - The Tueller are not very experienced at fighting, most choosing to run away rather than cause conflict. However their military was born out of necessity. As they were originally slaves, the Tueller began to form a rebellion when they realised that other races do not suffer like they do. Eventually, through their numbers, the resistance managed to take over the capital of Edoll-05. Cutting off the major spaceports, they eventually took over the planet. Similar rebellions took place on Edoll-04, Edoll-08 and Jyrlf-01, however Jyrlf-01 was later retaken by the Ikarota*.
    After the loss of the entire Edoll system, the Ikarota* began to execute the remaining slaves, an act that caused their neighbours to invade. The resulting war taught the Tueller Empire to fight back, and afterwards the Ikarota* agreed to free the remaining slaves to Edoll-05, causing a massive loss in productivity for the Ikarota*.

Culture - The Tueller Empire has little culture. Being such a young empire, they have not developed much. As the public became free, they gained access to their planets' internets - vast databases of information collected by the Ikarota*. No specific culture was particularly attractive to them, meaning communities would adopt a wild array of different practices, often ones that were not fully understood.

Religion - Tueller have no organised religion, but some individuals choose to follow one they have learnt of.

Etiquette - Having little culture, the Tueller also have little etiquette. Particularly of note is that the Tueller do not understand insults, and consider them merely criticism. They also have a peculiar habit of referring to each other, even friends, as "Master" - likely due to their past as slaves and their friendly nature.

Clothing - Most Tueller wear simple grey one-piece jumpsuits, due to their abundant nature, however they are more than willing to wear any other clothes that fit them. Only since their liberation have any other clothes in their size been made except these jumpsuits. Tueller typically do not wear anything on their hands or feet, but some like to wear hats. Only the military and law enforcement wear any uniforms.

Names - The Tueller are often unimaginative in their naming schemes. Originally, they were named by number by the Ikarota*, but as they became more free, they began to choose words as names. Having little experience with them, most Tueller were named after trivial items, often tools. However, as more Tueller experience other cultures, usually via the internet, their names are beginning to become more varied.

Language - The original Tueller language has long since been lost, after the Ikarota forced them to speak their own language. The Ikarotan language is very simple, and specifically designed to be short, easy to understand and sensible. This makes it hard for a Tueller to learn other languages, which are almost always more complicated.

Interspecies Relations - The Tueller Empire are surprisingly, very defensive and untrusting of other empires, but not individuals.

Technology - The technology of the Tueller mirrors that of the Ikarota*. Mostly, machines are made of bronze or brass, favouring mechanical constructions, and feature energy crystals of various colours. Weapons often use crystals to draw energy from, which is shot in 'bolts' by a copper mechanism.

Random facts:
    'Tueller' roughly translates as "Tool".
    The Tueller are known to have terrible fashion sense and horrible colour co-ordination.

*The Ikarota have since been conquered and all their settlements are believed to have surrendered to multiple empires.

Here's some Tueller cosplaying as Tiy & Molly to show how excited they are for starbound!
    [​IMG] 'scuse my spritework

Starter Pets
    Unfortunately, industrialisation has killed off most of the tameable fauna of Edoll-05. To make up for it, some insightful Tueller engineers have removed the weapons and tools of little spybots, securibots and repairbots, and welded tiny metal mouse ears to the bots' heads. We tried to get a picture, but we broke the camera. (The fact that the bots are actually trying to capture the 'escaped' Tueller is of little consequence; They follow you, what more do you want?)

The robots walk on four crab-like legs, and have one camera on their front, which can angle up and down. They are made of brass and bronze-like metals. They are known to contain crystals and lasers and stuff, and can climb walls.

Weaponry
    Tueller weapons are inherently the same as Ikarotan weapons. Projectile weapons fire lazer beams, made from energy synthesised through energy crystals. Melee weapons feature crystal-tipped blades designed to give an extra shock on each hit. Both types of weapons are made of brown, brass and bronze-like metals.

Racial Armour Bonus
    Tueller armour is useful for climbing up walls, but can only climb up ledges 1 block thick. Apart from that, it's mostly just scrap metal arranged like Ikarotan armour. Actual Ikarota armour is too big and heavy for Tueller to use.

Questline
    The reason the Tueller players leave their home planet is for adventure! The reason they can't go back is simply they got lost (How do starmaps work again? Which way is 'north'? Ohmigosh that constellation looks like a spoon!).

Credit
    The two chibi mice at the top are made by Smileh.
    Thanks to my friends and clan for the encouragement, and thank you for reading c:
    I am not an artist so i would love to feature your art if you would like to make any!
    Remember to vote!

Firepaw Da Cat, comb, _Dusk_ and 25 others like this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

Mice.......

Ok then.

4. Bonabopn

Space mice. c:

F1r3w0rks, Kyukitsune, Maw and 4 others like this.
  5. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

Brace yourself.
    There's always that one scumbag who brings up the whole
    "DIS IZ FURRY FETISH HUE HUE HUE HUE" garbage.

Dat Critter and Shippo like this.
  6. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

Love the art :3

Dat Critter, Jonesy, Arretez and 3 others like this.
  7. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

All races follow some rules, for it to work you would need to:
    A ) Make them same height as other races.
    B ) Remove tails. (Tails can be part of racial armor though).

8. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

We already have 4 anthropomorphic races
    I think some original, more alien races would be a better idea.

Model QT-377665 and Fishman like this.
  9. Bonabopn

I'm sure if the devs liked my idea enough they'd find a way past both issues. :3

Fixed that for you. All of the races are just human shaped things, don'tcha know?

Shippo likes this.
  10. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

I guess they liked their own six ideas already, considering they re the ones currently ingame. Why do you think avians dont have wings or apex dont have tails? It breaks armors. The B can be fixed if you make the racial armor give them a tail. A is harder though, not saying not possible, but i dont think they are gonna spend time on that, atleast not before post release.

Disagree because i want my Skarapions ingame.

11. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

I find anthropomorphic aliens to be pretty much a staple of Sci-Fi (just look at Star Wars EU for example) so mice people are a-ok with me :p

12. Clockwork

My point still stands.

13. Bonabopn

Avians don't have wings because flying is a massive advantage to the game. Everyone would choose avians if they could fly. Apex don't have tails because apes don't have tails.

Surely all you need to do to add a tail is add another layer to the player sprite, and move it behind the armour?
    Actually, it doesn't. The fact that all current races are anthropomorphic suggests that that is the style they're going for. It fits in with the others.

14. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Actually, the avians dont have wings was an example that the devs gave in the post where they spoke about this, they said all the races had to fit with the human sprite. Avians would have got wings but wouldnt have been able to fly with them, and apex would have got tails.

15. Bonabopn

I disagree. My explanations sound more likely, imo.

16. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Welp, i guess i should go search the thread but im lazy. Go ask in the IRC or something for the link.

17. Clockwork

The style they're going for is humanoid, not anthropomorphic.

18. Bonabopn

Jonesy likes this.
  19. Isoman

Isoman Big Damn Hero

are they multidimensional beings takeing the form of mice?

20. Bonabopn

No, they are little space mice. c:

Lavranzo and Jonesy like this.