NPC Meet Your Other Characters as NPCs

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by DoomZero, Jul 5, 2013.

1. DoomZero

DoomZero Zero Gravity Genie

Those people would still mostly get what they paid for, I think. They paid for their names to have a chance of appearing in literally any game. This idea would only give names that are rather familiar to specific NPCs that are identical to characters you created yourself.
    The donor perk that allows you to name an NPC isn't really all that similar. You wouldn't be able to play as those NPCs. You wouldn't be able to change the appearance of those NPCs, or see them wearing whatever armor you last equipped when playing as them.
    The idea of the donor perk is simply that your name gets used when a standard NPC is generated (like a random name for a guide or merchant or what-have-you). The donors who go for that reward tier understand that. This idea doesn't encroach upon that donor perk.

2. Pigeon

Pigeon Cosmic Narwhal

Exactly, this is better. People would feel they paid for something that can be done better in the game without 'perks'

3. DoomZero

If people think that, then they got ripped off. With or without this idea, they're still getting exactly what they paid for. If this idea is added, they get their names put into the random name selection for all NPCs, and they can see their characters as unique individual NPCs within their own games. If this idea is not added, they get their names put into the random name selection for all NPCs, and they do not see their characters as unique individual NPCs within their own games.

My idea does not overlap with that donor perk, so talking about it here is off-topic.

4. PabloM

PabloM Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't really know how servers work either, but if you're playing online, the server is already manipulating your data. For this, it just means storing data to complete a transaction when the character comes online. Servers would be official Starbound servers, surely.... so it wouldn't be a case of people storing other peoples' data.

All of this - any transactions etc - would only be with your (the player's) express consent. It's not like some hologram-AI kicks in and starts messing with all your stuff, or opens your inventory to all and sundry. You'd kind of mark the items, in your inventory, that you want to make available for sale, along with price (or trade terms if possible). Then log off, and the holo-NPC would sell the stuff you specified on your behalf if anyone comes along that wants to buy them. Just as though they're any other shop-keep type NPC.

I wonder if this is different enough from the original post to warrant a separate suggestion post...?

5. DoomZero

I dunno. I guess the part I'm iffy on is that servers would be required to hold data specifically for your character until your character comes online again. It seems like it might not be useful. I dunno. Necessary sacrifice for a good idea? Maybe.
    [notbad.jpg]
    I like it.
    In single player, you'd get complete access to your other characters' inventory, because obviously you have your own consent to take whatever items you want.
    In multiplayer, it should work exactly like this. I don't know how elaborate it should be, though. I don't think you should be able to set up complicated trades that occur while you're offline, but selling them just for credits sounds good. Also, there should be a time limit. Like, a week by default, but configurable for server owners. After a week's worth of absence, your hologram can't sell anything. Or, perhaps after that much time, your hologram would simply stop showing up? I suppose it's easier to just remove the hologram rather than specifically cancel your trades.

I'm still not very sure about this system. What if you never log back on to that server with that character? Wouldn't that, essentially, duplicate the items you've sold? You still have a copy, and the person who bought the item from you does too, but as long as you stay off that server, your item doesn't get removed from your inventory. I dunno.
    Well, either credit me or let me make it.
    I feel like this particular idea might be another facet of the original idea. It's different, yes, and a good portion of it has come from other people, but it only deals with multiplayer. The single player version of this has basically already been detailed in my idea.

onerb2 likes this.
  6. PabloM

PabloM Pangalactic Porcupine

Done!

:DD

7. Cramdawg

Cramdawg Sandwich Man

I think a cool way to implement this would be that whenever you leave a universe as a character, it spawns a "placeholder" npc that looks just like them. If you visit that same area as another character, the NPC would still be there and could be interacted with.

PurpleSquirel43 and PabloM like this.
  8. Mikiea

Mikiea Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think this has the potential to be an AMAZING feature, however it could be treated unfairly and easily cheated. I've compiled a list below of things that would need fixing.

Multiplayer

• Stealing. If your character is left on a multiplayer server, and trading is on, people could steal the items off your character. People could trade dirt for that awesome sword you found in a forest biome. If, say, they set it so that every time you take an item it stays on your character, you could dupe items. This would make cheating easy.
    Singleplayer
    • Item duping. See the above.
    • Death. Say that, you switch characters, and find your other character you were just playing on, and murder him. You go back to the other character, the one you murdered, and then what?
    • On the same conditions as death, what if the character just dies from a monster or something? You wouldn't even know it happened. This would have to depend on what happens after the character NPC dies.
    General
    • The flippin' universe! The Starbound universe is practically infinite. Finding ONE character through all of space and time would be seemingly impossible. This could be fixed if your character were left at certain coords, and stayed there throughout character switches.

I've probably missed a bunch of loopholes. But if these were fixed, this would be an awesome feature.

-Mikiea Domikari

9. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

y'know, it could be just an NPC with the skin and name of your other character, and is singleplayer-only. I mean, in multiplayer you already have other people to interact with.
    Maybe have it so that your doppelganger NPC only exists one at a time, so for example if you kill it on one planet it'll just spawn in another planet.

10. Cathriana

Cathriana Phantasmal Quasar

I would actually like this idea if they were just there, had the same damage and health/armor as well as they don't drop any of the items you had on, they were just there and would talk like an NPC.

Perhaps add an extra function to the future where you can add a specific set of speeches they could give if stuff happened like, death, killing, greeting, meeting, find items.. Stuff like that. It would be quite awesome.

PabloM likes this.
  11. Lilacskies

Lilacskies Space Hobo

So it would be the tiniest bit like when you meet the main character of the original pokemon game in pokemon silver/gold right?!?

12. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Can you fight your other characters too