1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Milk's 'art' (Not that much to see yet)

Discussion in 'Art' started by MilkCalf, Aug 23, 2016.

1. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Welcome!
    So you want to see a few things that I did? Not much to show right now. I don't have a lot enthusiasm for art these days so expect random activity spikes and varying levels of quality.

RP characters:
    I RP a lot so I expect this to be my main enthusiasm source.

I was making this one for It Sucks To Be Earth. I'm not sure if I'll use him or not. He mutated into an ethereal being.
    Colin.jpg
    First draft. Done on my phone. I will not draw fingers on a phone (not that I'm good at them anyway).
    Colin avatar.png
    Colin avatar 2.png
    Started making a black and white fullbody image starting with his head. Got sidetracked and made two avatar version out of it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

The art is not that bad... it just needs some improvement! :)

Waffle-Chan, MitKit and MilkCalf like this.
  3. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Yeah, improvement is needed. I've mostly drawn on paper. Computer art is a new adventure for me and there's probably a better program for it than Paint.

4. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Oh.. you do traditional. Yeah.. some people find it hard to draw digital at first.. but if you keep practicing... you'll get your gears running in no time.

As for the programs.. I know someone who can help you with that... @Jareix Cryvix

MilkCalf likes this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Krita is free, and is great for painterly styles and has some pretty powerful tools. However, it is in a beta state and can be rather CPU intensive. It's prone to taking a very long time for some things you may do by accident or while experimenting.

Photoshop is free for version CS2, but the latest version costs $20 a month to use. It is an incredibly powerful tool however, but I think you'll need to practice your fundamental drawing principles first.

Gimp I've been told can be quite good for those without a tablet, if you're willing to spend a long time tracing and coloring from a drawing.

Illustrator is, personally, very good for mouse users. It's a bit hard to get to grips with, but is incredibly powerful once you know what you are doing. It is unfortunately $20 a month to use.

However, having very powerful drawing tools won't help you at all if you don't learn the basics first. I recommend looking up drawing tutorials and practicing as much as you can in order to improve. You can use the tools to supplement your work, but you can't use them to just become a good artist. (I should know. I've been having to unlearn all I know after using digital tools just to relearn the fundamentals.)

Crossfang and MilkCalf like this.
  6. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Just to clarify I do know a bit about art. Things like complemetary colours snd human propotions. I usually don't draw complicated stuff nowadays 'cause I have too high expectations. When it comes to art, I'm that snobby kid who thinks they are perfect.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  7. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

We need an update!

8. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I feel this dude got a hat looking body

MilkCalf and Waffle-Chan like this.