Mobile/Phone Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tyle, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Seems like nobody has started a discussion on this, so here I go, let's talk about this forbidden topic of

PHONE GAMES.

---
    I can kinda imagine torches and pitchforks pointing at me already, going "hurr durr go play your Angry Bird/Candy Crush/Pokemon Go somewhere else you FILTHY CASUAL" - okay, fine, I'm a filthy casual, I admit that. What I want to say here is that the platform kinda undermined some really good, inspiring and downright beautiful games that could use some more love and attention.
    Now, what games would you recommend to play over the phone? I would encourage lesser known games as well as anything that isn't a port from other platforms, but they are not in any way exempted from this discussion.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The only one I ever really play is Fallout Shelter, which is probably fairly well-known. It's quite fun for what is largely a building / idle game, especially since the quest system was added to give it a bit of a dungeon-diving spin. And it's free-to-play without any paywalls, too.

Aside from that, the browser game Fallen London (the precursor to Sunless Seas and the upcoming Sunless Skies) now has its own mobile app. I'd definitely recommend it either in app or browser form, especially since the setting's interesting and the writing top-notch. Over the course of my character, I've led a successful academic career, opened an orphanage, married a friend from the forums and acquired a tiara-wearing tigress.

The only other mobile game I've played is one called Moonbase Inc. Not the best game I've ever played, and it was a bit beta-ish when I played it (which was well over a year ago now). But if you're after an economic management game to play on your phone, it's worth giving a try.

Waffle-Chan and Tyle like this.
  3. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

I personally have a massive soft spot for artistic visuals - would recommend Monument Valley and EDGE - both being beautiful, vector-based puzzle games that take advantage of cheated perspectives. EDGE in particular has already been around before touchscreens were commonplace so it left quite an impression on me to have the game run in full speed back in somewhere like 2010.

On the idle game side I have Neko Atsume and Abyssrium/Tap Tap Fish - NA for being simple and cute and Abyssrium for being REALLY PRETTY to look at with a well researched collection of real-life marine life to collect. The main downside is that it's a massive battery consumer and phone overheater:(

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  4. Chuck33

Chuck33 Space Hobo

Any other recommendations? My kid plays the Neko Atsume too

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  5. scotti

scotti Seal Broken

Thank you for opening up this topic. I highly suggest Knight Fever since it fits all of your criterias.

It's an RPG game for Android that utilizes sideswipe gameplay, which separates it from other games of the same genre. It uses pixel-style graphics which is storage friendly for your phone, since the game's content is enormous. With hundreds of stages and dungeons. Knight Fever is stamina/energy based and you can expand your character selection by recruiting Heroes.

Well, if you're tired of idle and turn-based RPGs, then this one you would definitely like.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  6. debra00

debra00 Space Hobo

Been looking for a game as well. What's this Knight Fever?

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  7. scotti

scotti Seal Broken

I can describe it as a Hero-Defense game. On normal stages, you use 3 of your Heroes to create a party, then you will run across the stage through 4 lanes. By swiping/dragging Heroes, you can switch lanes in order to attack incoming monsters or to dodge their attacks & skills. I like this game because there is no optimum combination, it's all up to your preference. Also, the gameplay is very interactive in a way that you can't be complacent just because you have maxed out your characters' stats and equipments (you really have to dodge at times). This is a game for those who are up to challenges.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  8. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Anyone got something free and casual for older Android phones (Sony Xperia E in my case)? My commute is fairly long and I get bored a lot.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  9. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

While I'm using newer versions of mobile phones, I'm one of the rare people who (voluntarily) don't have constant internet access so I tend to favor smaller-sized offline games. I recall my earlier days of android and games like Alien Hive and Bad Piggies (yes I know it's under Angry Birds, I LIKE it.) are both fun puzzle time-wasters.
    Kairosoft also made a lot of simple but addictive sim games, I forgot how many hours I wasted on Beastie Bay @@ On the action side, there's Star Vanisher and Stick Ninja who both test your ability to estimate length/area size with the naked eye - they're better than they sound, honest.

I don't have any way to test if these games are compatible with 4.1.1, but I sure hope they can!

Waffle-Chan and Surenu like this.
  10. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I'll check those out as soon as I got Wifi again, thank you very much :)

11. debra00

debra00 Space Hobo

Hmm. I'm a bit interested to this game. Is it for free, or do I need to purchase it?

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  12. scotti

scotti Seal Broken

It's completely free, don't worry :)

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  13. debra00

debra00 Space Hobo

Alright. Thanks a lot. I will install it on my phone. Will try it out.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  14. scotti

scotti Seal Broken

You won't regret it. Maybe give me an update on how it goes after playing? Ok? :)

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  15. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Death Road to Canada is fantastic. I don't know if it counts though, since it came to mobile after first being developed for PC.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  16. Hect

Hect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oof.. as a Fire Emblem fan, I do enjoy Fire Emblem: Heroes, which is quite the popular gacha game. If you didn't have any previous experiences with Fire Emblem, it might get you into it. Suppose it's worth a try.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  17. Tlactl

Tlactl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pocket Mortys.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  18. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Green the Planet 2 is a fun game, although it will get repetitive after a while.
    Flow Free and Flow Free Bridges, as well as LogicalCell are nice puzzle games.
    I can suggest Peace Keeper if you like relatively simple "hold the line" games, although one of the bosses is annoying as balls.
    Most games by Kairosoft, and especially Skyforce Unite!, Beastie Bay and High Sea Saga are a lot of fun to play. Shame you can't copy your saves. (Or at least, I don't know how to copy them.)
    Will You Press the Button is amusing enough, if you can stand sometimes Tumblr-esque questions. Requires an internet connection.
    Hacker Terminal is a nice past-time. It's basically Fallout's Hacking Minigame: The Game, in all regards.
    If you're looking for idlers, I would suggest taking a look at Armory & Machine.
    As last suggestion, all "Choice of Games" games are interactive stories, and are really fun. Most only give you a couple of chapters before you have to buy it, though.
    I know that Choice of Dragons and Creatures Such As We are entirely free. (Although Creatures Such As We basically gives you a chapter and then either the choice to buy it or to wait 10 minutes.)

I play all these games on a Sony Xperia T3, so they are at least playable on Android 4.4.4

19. JackAfrica

JackAfrica Orbital Explorer

Games like “the witness” which where originally on steam are starting to make an appearance. Also did I mention a no man’s sky knock off called Morphite is also on steam and is ALSO making an appearance on the AppStore, yet ITS GLITCHY AS THE FIREY PITS OF HELL.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  20. MistyTheNeko

MistyTheNeko Ketchup Robot

Graal Online Classic.
    A 2d multiplayer RPG that's good for wasting time.
    Spent about 600 hours on it just talking to folks!

Waffle-Chan likes this.