1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Mod Suggestion: Universe Select

Discussion in 'In-Game Tools' started by Icajunihy, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Icajunihy

Icajunihy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Morning all,

I don't know how many others have this issue or a desire for this sort of mod, but I've been looking for something that gives me the option to select which universe folder that Starbound pulls from.

Reason being that I'd like my singleplayer and MP characters worlds not to overlap, but I run the server for my MP partners so it's using my universe files! As it stands I found that I could just rename the universe files in my starbound folder to cause the world to respawn the universe or use a specific one, but that's a little bit of a hassle. I was wondering if someone could make a tool to where it gives a list and then I could select from that list. instead of manually renaming the universe folder whenever I'm switching.

Also if this is in the wrong section I apologize, I wasn't sure where to put it.

RatixFarrence likes this.
  2. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

I've been searching for some mod that does this as well, and to be honest, I'm quite shocked that there isn't something like this. It would be really easy to program, since the only functions it would need would be exchanging files in and out of the universe folder, putting them in separate folders that all have their unique names and overwriting the files in those whenever they are changed (i.e. whenever they are used in the game). I know this wouldn't be in the actual game itself, but it would take about 5 seconds to select which universe you want to use.

If only I had any knowledge of how to make programs, I would definitely make this a reality. I'll ask my friend (who happens to love programming stuff) if he knows how to do it, and maybe we'll end up making a tool for this purpose. I know this is an old thread, and therefore an old idea, but I imagine people still need it.