Modding Discussion Modding Guides and General Modding Discussion--REDUX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dozy

Dozy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Have you tried accessing the map in game? The water effect doesn't show up in tIDE, it's only once you are in the game that the animation shows. Here's a screenshot of the unaltered mountain.tbin opened in tIDE.
    [​IMG]

There is no water animation effect in tIDE, but in-game the water definitely "moves".

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

Yes I have. Here is a pic of ingame. I'm not sure what is going on. If all it takes is to set Water / T for all water tiles for the game to add the shimmer effect, I don't know why its not doing it. I must have missed one water tile and maybe its interfering with the rest. Or it could be something to do with the FarmCave map itself.

Untitled.png

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
      • Dozy

Dozy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Man, this is tricky, haha.

I did notice on your tilesheet properties screenshot you are missing tiles 1256 and 1263-1274 as having the Water|T property. But, I am guessing you didn't use those tiles on your map.

I believe it is tiles 333-336 of the spring_outdoorsTileSheet that make up the top layer of the water animation, so maybe make sure those are unaltered on your spring_outdoorsTileSheet?

Other than that, I don't know. Maybe you could upload the files so people could have a look and see if they notice anything that's off.

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

That screenshot of my properties is actually short, the real list is about 4 dozen entries long. Tiles 333 - 336, I don't think those are used anywhere, they're not transparent and if you compared them side by side with whats ingame they look and animate different. I think I found where the animations tile for the water is, its on Cursors.png in the LooseSprites folder.Now how does the game know to grab the animations from there, if that is the case.
          Cursors.png

Anyway here is my current unfinshed file of my map. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this. Also does anybody know how the game handles the critters/animals/junimos that you see ingame that flee when you approach.

Attached Files:

• cave.7z
              File size:
              9.4 KB
              Views:
            Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
          • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You are setting tilesheet properties, not tileindex properties, the game is looking for the tile index property `Water:T`...

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

There a differences? But by typing in "@TileIndex@###@Water / T" on the tilesheet prop isn't that telling the tileindex that ### is water/T. When I check the tile index prop below for each tile it now has water/T. And every other entry I added by that method it works fine.
              water is T.png

It feels like I am just dominating this thread, sorry about that.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Yeah, tilesheet and tileindex properties are different.

• Dozy

Dozy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just wondering if you tried changing your map with Entoarox's feedback; he/she knows a lot more about the stuff than I do and that suggestion may be the solution.

I looked at your .tbin and .yaml files. I noticed that the the spring_outdoorsTileSheet.png text was in red in the yaml file. I don't know if that matters, but I thought it was strange.

Just wondering, did you start a whole new file to make the map? It has a white background and none of the .tbin game files I have seen have that.

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

All the necessary tileindex properties where already inplace. When I added the "@TileIndex@###@etc" to the tilesheet properties that added it to the tileindex aswell. I posted a pic of a tileindex properties screen in a earlier post. When I look at my yaml file in notepad++ it looks normal to me. Its not a new map, its the FarmCave map that I expanded. Looks like a white background is caused when you expand the layers to the new dimensions. I been looking around at other people's farmcave mods that also add a water pool, and the two that I looked at also had the same problem that I do. Maybe its not what I did or didn't do, but its the game itself?

• Dozy

Dozy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I noticed if you open the farmcave.tbin file uses the mine.png tilesheet as its main image source. But, mine.png doesn't have the top/animated layer for water. Basically, I'm wondering if you utilized a tile sheet [EDIT: meant to put map, not tilesheet] that already has animated water in it (e.g. the "woods.tbin" map) if it could possibly work. This is a total guess, but there may be something in the coding keeping the animated water from occurring in places like caves/mines.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
                      • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I'll take a look at the code where stardew handles water animations and verify this one way or another.

Edit: The animated water effect happens for any location that is a outdoor location where the `Back` layer tile for a x,y position has `Water` set to `T`
                        CA's code explicitly makes exceptions for the desert (No water anim) and sewers (Water anim even though indoors) that cannot be spread to other maps.

The only way to solve this would be to have a SMAPI mod that manually loads water tile animations for indoor locations. (If it is requested enough, I could easily add this to ALL's patches?)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
                          monteso and Dozy like this.
                        • monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

This
                          This is the answer that I been looking for, Thank you. If only I could set the farmcave map to 'Outdoors is T' without crashing my game, that would solve many of my problems. I never needed to try but is it possible to copy a entire map layer into another map file.Transfer my work into the Woods map. This might be worth my while trying to learn SMAPI or ALL, if only I had the time.

• Dozy

Dozy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that you can copy/paste from one .tbin to another using Notepad++, but I am not sure of any precautions you need to take when doing so.

• Zalkyria

Zalkyria Existential Complex

Okay so say I'm doing a mod where I'm changing up the characters I know how to do one character when I followed a tutorial but does anyone know which files are associated with each character besides the obvious ones? Oh and I mean like I want to change their name completely so that everyone says it and stuff as well. I got the changing their name for under the portrait and the in game relationship bar thing?

• StormyFire

StormyFire Void-Bound Voyager

I was going to ask, since i'm not nearly a computer genius, can anyone help me with actually finding the Stardew Valley folder in the first place? I'm trying to retexture some of my animals with .xmb files...

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

It is where you installed the game, if you installed it using steam, you can open the directory from the properties > local files > browse local files button
                                  If you installed through GoG, then you follow the GoG procedure.

• Salamander Sundaes

Salamander Sundaes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Short question! Does anyone know if it would technically be possible to create a mod where the house itself is ENORMOUS (the same size on the outside, as it appears on the inside)? I'm not sure if it would even be plausible. If it is, I'd like to try it! Thank you in advance, for your help!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Possible yes, easy, no. The code behind how the house is rendered is handled in such a way that it takes a lot of work on our end to mess with.

Salamander Sundaes likes this.
                                      • littleraskol

littleraskol Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a question about mod release etiquette. In other modding communities there's a very strict expectation of seeking permission from mod authors to release modifications of their mods. What is the expectation here?

I ask because I've been extending the features of OrSpeeder's Sprint and Dash Mod for my personal use. As a matter of personal belief in courtesy, sent OrSpeeder a message asking if he would mind if I released a modification of his mod, and I would give full credit to him for the base code. However, I haven't heard back and he last posted in July. He may have moved onto other things. Additionally, he released the mod's source code under the GNU General Public License with permission to "redistribute it and/or modify it" per that license." This seems like implicit permission but I just wanted to be sure that it would be OK.

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

^You've answered your own question :) Good of you to double-check, though.

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.