Modding Discussion Modding Guides and General Modding Discussion--REDUX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloraFern

FloraFern Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, thank you for the info! I have photoshop so finding the pixels shouldn't be a problem. The 16x16 thing is just like in minecraft so I'm used to thinking in those dimensions already hah. One more question if I may ask, do you per chance know in what files the items that go in your inventory are? I'm looking to change the icons of the seeds as well as fruits and vegetables. Found the crops themselves without a problem but cannot for the life of me find the file for the inventory icons.

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

Try looking at the spring_objects tilesheet(I haven't messed around with crops and seeds too much yet).

• FloraFern

Thank you so much, that's exactly where all that stuff was hidden! I appreciate all the help, thank you! <3

Moragaine likes this.
        • maeru_maeru

maeru_maeru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello all,
          Looking through the forums this seems to be the right place for this. I'm trying to make a Custom Furniture conversion of a farmhouse interior texture mod (only for personal use, don't want to step on the toes of the original mod's creator), but when testing it out I keep getting a crash error based on one of the objects. I've been cobbling the content.json for this from a few other CF packs with similar tilesheet structures, but everything up until that point has parsed fine and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary in the specific lines of the .json file or the tilesheet that would be causing CF to crash like this. That said, I'm very new to this and am definitely flying by the seat of my pants here- would this be the place to post the specifics for troubleshooting?

• Savertin

Savertin Void-Bound Voyager

Hello!

I want to make my own custom dialogue mod, because I do not like how limited you are with XNB-Modding approaches and the CP, even though it's a great mod, lacks the flexibility I want. I actually succeeded in adding new dialogue lines to the game, but as I'm working with the base game code part here, it's a bit rough. I do know how the basic dialogue lines are constructed, but I'm not sure on how to insert my lines safely. I use Content Packs to add new lines to the games and reading them works just fine, as do the few triggers I implemented (e.g. heartlevel, location). Currently I take the first element from the dialogue stack, add it to my list off new lines and randomly choose one of them to be presented to the player. But there are some special dialogue lines I don't want to overwrite (like introduction etc.). Can I just add my lines to the dialogue stack and it will choose a line randomly without me doing it? Based on the wiki it seems like there is some kind of priority for certain lines, but...

Maybe someone could enlighten me here.

• Tinkaa

Tinkaa Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everyone!
              I don't really now if it fits in here, but it seemed like it would so I apologize if I'm wrong.
              I was wondering how to get the outline of the house, which is normally a lighter brown, to a different color like this for example?
              [​IMG]

• Moragaine

@Tinkaa Colors like that are usually applied by map recolors, although I think there are a few stand-alones on Nexus. The partiuclar one in that picture looks like A Toned Down Stardew Valley(which includes 2 different colors of brown and 2 of white). Some of the farmhouse bits, however, might come from a farmhouse recolor. It looks like there may be a few personal edits in there, too.

• FloraFern

Sorry guys, I'm once again seeking your help here. Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow tie specific horse and pet textures to a specific farm? Using Elle's replacements but would really love to have different colors/textures in my different savefiles :)

• Moragaine

If you're using Content Patcher to load the skins, you can try adding a "When" condition to a particular texture. Check here for an explanation.

• FloraFern

Yes I am and will try that out! Thank you @Moragaine :)

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

@Tinkaa : To follow up on Moragaine's post, the edges of the farmhouse (and most other interior locations) are part of the townInterior tilesheet, so that is the one you would have to edit if you are recoloring yourself.

• pepoluan

pepoluan Big Damn Hero

I noticed that changes in SDV 1.4 will totally break xnb mods.

The same page stated that Content Patcher mods should not be affected; I assume this means CP mods that target certain areas of the game's asset PNG instead of CP mods that perform Load / EditImage over the whole asset.

Does this mean we now have to "break apart" the "EditImage" mods to explicitly specify FromArea & ToArea coordinates?

• Moragaine

CP mods that use Edit Image already do that. I don't think you can use Edit Image without using coordinates..

• MouseyPounds

You actually can; both the FromArea and ToArea are optional and it will default to using the entire source image and placing that at 0,0 of the target image. One use case for it is for recolors using overlays where even though you are technically patching the entire file, large parts of the modded image may be transparent and thus aren't actually changing the texture.

• Moragaine

I see.. So more of an over-lay thing, then - and I haven't done anything with over-lays yet..

• pepoluan

pepoluan Big Damn Hero

Well, according to the documentation for CP, EditImage has two modes: Replace and Overlay, with Replace the default if not specified.

As @MouseyPounds mentioned, both FromArea and ToArea are optional.

I used EditImage instead of Load because two mods can't Load the same file, but two (or more) mods can EditImage the whole same file (last mod loaded wins if the mode is Replace).

After some thought, I think mods whose FromFile has an even number of tiles would still work; but if the FromFile has an odd number of tiles, it will need to be split into two patches.

Illustration:

If the SDV 1.3 original XNB is tiled like so:

+--+--+
                                  |··|··|
                                  +--+--+
                                  |··|··|
                                  +--+--+

and the SDV 1.4 original XNB adds new tiles under that 2x2 one, the replacer will work with a slight glitch (if the game pulls tile on rows 3 and so on, the tiles will use the original XNB.

But if the SDV 1.3. original XNB is tiled like so:

+--+--+
                                  |··|··|
                                  +--+--+
                                  |··|··|
                                  +--+--+
                                  |··|
                                  +--+

(with a blank on the 3rd row, 2nd column)

and the SDV 1.4 original XNB adds new tiles, then the tile on the 3rd row & 2nd column will be overwritten by the mod's. (Usually a blank tile).

This means for odd number of tiles, the replacer needs to be split into 2 parts: The 2 column part (replaced by EditImage without specifying FromArea nor ToArea), and a part to replace that 'hanging' tile on 3rd row (ToArea must be specified for this one).

((This will still cause a glitch when SDV 1.4 pulls from non-replaced tiles, though, in the sense that for certain scenes the asset will revert to SDV's style instead of the modder's style.))

• pepoluan

pepoluan Big Damn Hero

Hi all, is there an explanation of the fields in Data/weapons?

For example:
                                    Code:
                                    Elf Blade/Only the nimble hands of an elf could craft this./3/5/.5/0/5/0/1/-1/-1/0/.04/3
                                    From left to right:
                                    • "Elf Blade" = Weapon name
                                    • "Only the nimble hands..." = Weapon description
                                    • 3 = Damage - min
                                    • 5 = Damage - max
                                    • .5 = ???
                                    • 0 = ???
                                    • 5 = ???
                                    • 0 = ???
                                    • 1 = ???
                                    • -1 = ???
                                    • -1 = ???
                                    • 0 = ???
                                    • .04 = Crit chance prolly
                                    • 3 = ???

• MouseyPounds

From looking at the decompiled StardewValley.Tools.MeleeWeapon constructor,
                                      • 0 Name (string)
                                      • 1 Description (string)
                                      • 2 minDamage (int)
                                      • 3 maxDamage (int)
                                      • 4 knockback (float)
                                      • 5 speed (int)
                                      • 6 addedPrecision (int)
                                      • 7 addedDefense (int)
                                      • 8 type (int: 0=sword, 1=dagger, 2=club)
                                      • 9 Unknown (not accessed in constructor)
                                      • 10 Unknown (not accessed in constructor)
                                      • 11 addedAreaOfEffect (int)
                                      • 12 critChance (float)
                                      • 13 critMultiplier (float)

pepoluan likes this.
                                      • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

hi, i am a dummy dummy and i was looking to modify a few lines of harvey's post-marriage dialogue but i really don't understand the special dialogue strings. i want to have him say that he would like to teach the farmer the octal system(the one used in aviation) and then make this face; https://sta.sh/01g2b29s84h2 after which he mentions it could be fun and makes this one; https://sta.sh/0h5t99q7xyc

here is the line i want to add them to;
                                        "fall_9": "One of these days I should teach you the octal system.$hI think it might be fun for us both.$h",

actually it is not just asking which strings would match that one but asking which string goes to each of his portraits. i think this would go a lot faster if i had a short-guide to each of them so i didn't have to keep confusing myself x___x

• Stable_Sable702

Stable_Sable702 Space Hobo

how do i do this on mac i'm so confused nothing is working :facepalm:

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.