Modding Help Modding initial state (story quests)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Augustus Lupfil, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Augustus Lupfil

Augustus Lupfil Space Spelunker

Hello!

I have a question. The question is "Is there any way, and if there is, how can a modder change start conditions? Like removing the intro, spawning a player in a random place of the world? Changing his ship initial state?" If you know the answer and can share it with me, it's great. Please, don't answer me, why I need it, because I don't know, just interested.

2. Lemon drops

Lemon drops Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Make a patch of universe_server.config

Universe.server.config sets the default mission and structure of the ship at any given stage. I do not know if there is a way to spawn a player in a random place in a dungeon world though.

If you need clarification, please ask.

Augustus Lupfil likes this.
  3. Augustus Lupfil

Do you mean, I have to edit this code:

"introInstance" : {
    "default" : "protectorate"
    },

What should I set instead of "protectorate"? I have set "outpost" and now my character spawns at Outpost, but the game still thinks, that the intro quest is going on. What shall I do next?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  4. Lemon drops

make a patch to /quests/quests.config, inside initialquests replace "protectorate" for each race with whatever other quest. It might even work to just remove it, but I don't know.

5. Augustus Lupfil

Thanks, it works! But I also have to find some way to edit initial ship state to allow teleport usage and movement and space and also giving tools to a character. It looks like you have to know the way. )

6. Lemon drops

There are two ways to do this:

One would be to patch speciesShips in universe_server.config
    You could change the early ships to a later ship. This is the lazy way.

Hovever, there is also a better way.
    You can patch each ship's <race name>T<0, 1, 2>structure inside the ships directory.
    This will preserve the look of the ship, and you can change whether or not you can teleport, travel between planets, and travel between stars.

7. Augustus Lupfil

Thank you! Looks like it works, but there are still some issues: 1 - I don't know, how to add "Outpost" to available teleportation destination; 2 - intro cutscene (with "Wake up") still goes on; 3 - when a character spawns at the Outpost as a starter point, it looks kinda dark (not really important, but the Outpost usually doesn't look like this). I am also interested: 1 - can I edit starter items at the ship; 2 - is there any way to edit scripted locations like Outpost. If you can answer me, I'll be very pleased. I also don't know, how wide are Starbound modding bounds, and I'd like to find it out, but sadly there are no advanced tutorials.

8. Lemon drops

1a you interact with the 2 stop teleshop teleporter after arriving.
    2a you could patch introstart.cinematic, it should be in /cinematics/intro
    3a I don't know that's weird. it must have something to do with the intro cutscene thing.

1b yes, go to /treasure and make a patch of shiplocker.treasurepools.
    2b you could override the .json s with different ones, or you could do a patch of the .dungeon s that changes which file each .dungeon is looking for. The latter will probably prevent mod conflicts, it is always better to patch than override.

9. Augustus Lupfil

Thank you for you answer. But is there some may to do the first programmatically?

10. Lemon drops

Sorry, could you rephrase/make it more clear what you mean?

11. Augustus Lupfil

I mean, not by touching a teleporter, just adding a new teleport point by a script.

12. Lemon drops

Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning.
    I think it is quests/story/gaterepair.questtemplate you are looking for. I am not certain, as I haven't really done this kind of thing before.

13. Augustus Lupfil

Yes, thank you. I have just found the decision in an assosiated script "quests/story/gaterepair.lua". The required method calls "player.addTeleportBookmark".