Modding Help Modding is limited?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by MCantus, Sep 9, 2016.

1. MCantus

MCantus Void-Bound Voyager

Hi guys,

I've been poking around files for the past week to see the modding capabilities, but after grepping through all the files, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of stuff seems to be "off limits."

Can someone confirm or deny for me:
    Outside of having a placeable object to interact with, there is no way to add new windows or new displays for the user.

- We are unable to change the functionality of the main interface.
    For instance, if I wanted to add a "belt" slot for quick use healing items that shows up at the bottom of the hud.

- We are unable to add new keybindings.
    For example, if I wanted to add a minimap button, that shows/hides on "M" press.

- We are unable to create new objects in scripts. This includes hooking into the primaryScriptSources, we can't actually create new objects of most kinds unless it happens to be hooked up in the back?
    For example, on init(), I want to create a new Widget and have it show on the right. Kind of an extension of point 1. There are a few cases that can do this, such as the Handheld Teleporter Mod, but that just utilizes the existing listener + window configurations/scripts.

If my fears are true, does anyone know if any of these are on the roadmap for Starbound? It's really limiting modding, and I'm kinda bummed if we're just limited to adding new items and races.

EDIT: I should also add that they seemed to not have lua docs for a lot of helpful things, or not expose them at all. If we were able to use _G, or at least access the other tables like console, it would make things a lot easier for us.

Thanks!
    -MC

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. cybersam

cybersam Subatomic Cosmonaut

well... some of the things are dable... but you are correct... we are limited in a few ways...
    i'm struggling with the listitem widget currently... (as for some reason it wont clear the list... )
    and i haven't found a way to interact with the "porttrait" widget and had to draw every single piece in its own image widget

3. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, i think that the real problem with starbound modding is the lack of tutorials and vanilla documentation, we have the lua api documentation but only shows you the functions but doesn't shows you which attributes can have some objects, maybe that is why some see the modding in starbound very limited beside of the already known limitation.

For items like weapons it is possible to create new ones or new types but using a kind of weapon as core, in the early days of starbound i remember someone did a spell systems that was very good.

In races, now that you can use a custom humanoid that only modified your race, you can create bigger or shorter races or more amorphous shapes, but this have its limitation that i already noticed since i'm creating a custom race that is half-size of the vanilla races, there are some options that doesn't work.

I hope that they fix some of the limitation.

That's all of my impression as a semi-new modder, i'm trying to enter to the world of lua coding in starbound but i don't see any updated tutorial or something :/ .

4. cybersam

cybersam Subatomic Cosmonaut

i'm new here too...
    actually very new... just started a "few days" ago (it feels like few days... but its been already 2 weeks xD)... and started playing
    i was lured by the possibility of the modding... ^_^'''

well... i hope they will lift at least some of the limitations too...

5. Mirau

Mirau Pangalactic Porcupine

I would imagine it would be in the same vein as this:

Code:
    [
      {
        "op" : "add",
        "path" : "/keyActions/player/-",
        "value" : { "label" : "Special 2", "action" : "PlayerTechAction2" }
      },
      {
        "op" : "add",
        "path" : "/keyActions/player/-",
        "value" : { "label" : "Special 3", "action" : "PlayerTechAction3" }
      }
    ]

Halftoxic likes this.
  6. foxtails

foxtails Master Chief

7. MCantus

MCantus Void-Bound Voyager

Unfortunately I tried that already. Attempting to patch that file does work, but I cannot "Create" the minimap widget, since there is no console table or widget table locally in the lua file I added for the callbacks.

8. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

I remember that someone long ago did a kind of minimap but only showed you the ores.