NPC Modular Turrets (Upgrades, Subsystems, etc.)

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by plaYer2k, Jan 28, 2013.

1. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

I might think about adding and balancing manable turrets.

Right now i think as tradeoff you should have an utility for manning a turret.
    - Your turret is "weaker" due to less available utility slots (since one is used for the "seat") but on the other hand you got more control over it.
    - I dont think that it should be stronger as manable turret compared to automated modes.
    - So a turret is always in auto-mode unless someone tries to man the Turret and then it turns into manual-mode where you can controll it.

2. Drakaden

Drakaden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Never have enough turrets for defending your home bases.

3. enigmatic fluff

enigmatic fluff Big Damn Hero

I cannot like this post enough.
    I tried, but I can't.

4. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

This is complicated, but well thought out! I support it.

5. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm iam thinking about merging "Capacity" and "Reactor" slot in terms of balance and to encourage different roles.
    Right now they simply increase and the higher your tech is, the faster is the energy recharge or the higher is its capacity.

But i think it would be better if there is just ONE item that handles both rechage and capacity so that you always have to balance those two factors against each other ... shall the turret be well prepared against heavy but irregular attacks but take longer to regenerate all the energy ... or shall it have a lower capacity but insead be more sustainable in combat for phase of permanent attacks.

That makes end-game upgrades less of a no-brainer and you can decide what to focus on.
    Ofc the factors for either capacity or recharge shouldnt be 1:1 but instead should be balanced for a fight of around 10-30 seconds depending on how the player energy recharge works.

Example:
    Setup A = 100 energy with 10 energy/sec recharge (a(x) = 100 + 10*x)
    Setup B = 300 energy with 5 energy/sec recharge (b(x) = 300 + 5*x)
    With a drain of 20 energy/sec (d(x) = -20+x) Setup B would clearly last longer in a short term
    a(x)+d(x) = 100 + 10*x -20*x = 0 => x = 100/10 => 10sec
    b(x)+d(x) = 300 + 5*x -20*x = 0 => 300/15 = 20sec

Yet on a long run A would be better once the fight lasts longer than 40 seconds
    a(x)-b(x) = 100 +10*x - 300 - 5*x = -200 + 5*x = 0 => x = 200/5 => 40sec
    Because after 40 seconds, Setup A has more energy available over time than Setup B

So i guess with such a balance mechanism there is much mroe room to properly (or not) set your bases defense up and others to attack your base.

6. Karth

Karth Pangalactic Porcupine

A great idea, but I think it's a little complex. I would probably simplify it with just a weapon, armor and perhaps a utility slot.

7. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the modular setup, but I think you should leave it at that. No power rerouting and such, it would get a little too complicated I think.