Mob Monster part based loot

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Nakano15, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Since creatures can have different monster parts, maybe these parts can give special loot that may help the player.
    For example, killing a monster that have spider legs, could have a chance of dropping cobweb.

Those items got from those creatures could be usefull for crafting equipments and other items.

STCW262, Mackinz and Ebon_Wolf like this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I'm going to revive this post...
    That's actually a pretty cool idea! Maybe the items chances are based off of what kind of body part and the item dropped is base off of the part itself. Such as fire glands dropping from fire breathing creatures, or scythe like claws for slashing enemies. And such and such.

3. AntiStoned

AntiStoned Big Damn Hero

Nice idea, the only current thing however is the meat that drops from them.
    If they would drop those certain items, then they should add more items and craftables.
    Like, how about if there are also plant monsters that drop plant fibre or others?
    I've seen a couple of plant monster parts.

4. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

Someone actually suggested this a week or two back in the mechanics subforum. I'm simply going to copy over my response and maybe add a bit more to it.

While they could add more monster drops, it would have to have them be related to biome. You simply can't make it based off the creature because that means possible frustration for the player of trying to find said enemy. And as I mentioned above, trying to find a specific enemy for something you're wanting due to the size of the universe could take forever. Really it's just best to go with the biome monster drops. After all, that would be far more easier to implement, and way less potentially frustrating for the player.

5. Jareix Cryvix

He/she has a point... How about the biome influences both the parts and the items. The biome gives restrictions as to what parts are used, and the items that those parts drop are restricted by biome as well. So while certain parts, items, and colors can be used anywhere, others can only be found on specific biome, that way you can find the kind animal parts you're looking for just by looking at the biome type for the planet.

6. Warped Perspectiv

Exactly. And not just biome, but planet difficulty could also have an influence to allow for more diverse drops.

7. Jareix Cryvix

Another idea could be that the mobs drop their loot as a corpse inventory. It will contain all of the loot that the mob would have dropped, but in order to get things like hide, organs/meat, or limbs, you would have to click a button that would have a progress bar for removing that part. That way, the players could not only see exactly what they are getting, but pick and choose only what they need in order to save time or escape other monsters coming to eat the corpse's meat. This could also be how you things like a fire gland or spinneret. Once the corpse is looted or "rots" it dissapears leaving the bones and scrap meat as a smashable or harvestable entity. (This kind of relevant so I felt like adding it in. If you think I should delete this post then I will. )

8. HyperCatnip

HyperCatnip Space Hobo

I consider this idea really interesting and endorse it wholeheartedly.
    A bit of fleshing out the mechanic:

We already have parts monsters consist of in-game.
    It must be trivial to add a list of possible drops based on body parts. Claws for clawed legs, cobwebs foe spider legs, etc.

We also already have tiered planets.
    So drop from monsters can depend on tier of planet, and biome if they are implemented.

Meat, leather and pixels just don't cut it.

STCW262 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  9. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Along with making more difficult planets have more different kinds of creatures, meaning that, if, say, in a Harmless planet there is a total of 6 creatures spawning in it, a Mostly Harmless planet would have 8 creatures instead of 6, meaning that the game would generate more creatures per planet, indirectly increasing the likelihood of a particular part.

10. Warped Perspectiv

Yeah, so long as they're based off biome. That's a way something like this could easily work.