1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Monster Spawner Pack for Custom Missions

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by RatixFarrence, Feb 23, 2015.

1. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey guys I'm working on a mod that could further benefit anyone who wants to easily build their dungeons on worlds without adhering to restrictive and (more difficult to mod) dungeonID parameters.

Before we begin I will state the reason why I started this.
    Ver. Upbeat Giraffe brought the nightly admin commands to us. Including the command /settileprotection, which sets the tile protection of specific properties of a world based on dungeon ID values. I was made aware that setting 2 values (/settileprotection 65532 true and /settileprotection 65535 true) protects the entire world in which character with admin privileges using the command is currently located.

So I started to build on my large dungeon on my barren world, thinking I could just simply spawn monsters with admin commands. No sir, they despawn rather quickly like any monster spawned on a normal planet! How do we solve such a dilemma? With monster spawners of course. They monsters still despawn, yes but they can respawn as well!.

About the mod:
    Because we don't have access to the spawners by default, we can only add a mod to gain access to them, but having one spawner that can spawn a random monster-type and a random level, is quite restricting. Can we do something about this? I am prepared to do just that.
    I will be editing the spawners making separate configurable versions of the same spawner. It will add new monster spawner objects based by Type/Level/Spawn Method (interact, wire, respawn-on-timer). Then I will add the recipes for them. It will also be multiplayer-safe as it will not add anything new to the game. I'd say this would occupy my time, along with anyone else interested in building their own Missions, until Director's Mode is released.

Notes:
    Regarding 1-time or limited-use spawner events. If you plan to reset it, you may have to do it manually have to unless an instancing system is in place (not recommended because instancing can be resource intensive even on small maps like the official missions. Imagine a whole world taking up resources as an instance, rather than a tiny one. It might change however in the future!)

Now that I'm done babbling, time to get back to the grind.
    ---------------------------
    Update Feb, 25 2015
    Finished the wired spawners for level 1-10 large biped monsters. I've been working a lot at my real job, and busy with some other obligations, but I'm gonna make the most of the time I have to finish this for you guys.

Here a tidbit of what is in store:[​IMG]

-----------------------------
    Update: Feb. 27, 2015
    Added largeflying monsters to the wired spawner roster. Awaiting a friend to test multiplayer compatibility, although I do not expect any problems.

Update Feb 28, 2015
    Found out Starbound requires a mod like this to be installed on the server as well as the clients. Still, I hope this mod will help make servers and and single-player games more unique.

Update Mar, 1 2015
    Finished all generated monster spawners, except hugebiped, due to it being incomplete, that or a rather silly joke. ;)
    Also did bonebird since it was in the same folder as the other generated birds.

Will work on unique spawns including penguins and then npcs. Then I'll figure out which bosses to include, as I have to test them once I get to that point to see what is appropriately usable.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. RatixFarrence

Spirited Giraffe broke my custom spawners. I get ejected back to the ship when I place one, and its gone after planet reloads. If anyone has an idea of what happened, please let me know, because I've searched the assets for clues and I can't find anything.

Edit: *Hits himself* When I re-added the mod I still had my server up. No wonder it ejected me. Nothing to see here, move alone.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. RatixFarrence

I've decided to make what I've made so far into my 1.0.0 update. I'll make it available when I get off work tomorrow morning.
    Until then, here's the video:

This wouldn't be possible if it weren't for the Starbound Dev Team involved in making those monster spawners in the Nightly-exclusive Rampaging Koala builds, and @metadept for the tile protection measures to protect said spawners.