Modding Discussion Morphing Status Effects progress thread

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by @lias, Sep 17, 2017.

1. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

Guess who figured out how to make OBS not record like a potato!

So, this thing again. Through a lot of trial and error, and error and error, I've now got a functional, stable implementation of my little experiment. It's mostly idiot-proof, and it took me a long time to work out how to make something like this play nice with being put on a piece of equipment, which as it turns out is a can of worms in itself. But, as a result, I know waaay more than I ever thought I'd need to about the minutiae of the status effect system, and a was able to reach a much better solution as a side effect. If anyone has any questions about the more obscure points of status effect and the implementations or limitations thereof, I might be able to answer them after all the science I did.

Bullet points for people who hate moving pictures:

* The forms will now correctly remember your important parameters like mouth position and hurt noise, and will revert to them appropriately when cleared.
    * Each new form status applied will now replace and remove the old one upon application, meaning no more stacked sprites and other arcane weirdness. Forms persist through death and even saving+reloading.
    * Hats will no longer cause weird bugs/crashes when rapidly swapped, and their status will persist upon being removed. Forms are now cleared using an item. Before you say "that sounds weird," please understand that this was a change that had to be made for reasons relating to the way equipment handles applying status effects. It's for the better, I promise.
    * As a perk of the new format, forms can also be applied to enemies, NPCs, and other players, as demonstrated in the video. It works great for players and NPCs, but because it refers to the afflicted entity's mcontroller to animate the sprite and some monsters have attacks or movement patterns without generic mcontroller equivalents, it can lead to animation bugs akin to T-pose hovering in 3D games. While odd-looking, this is entirely harmless.

And now, 2 things while I've got your attention.

Can anyone refer me to an expert in the field of weapons and activeitems?
    and
    Does anyone here know much about animation state machines? I'd like my pseudo-animator to be a little more streamlined and modular.

Thanks!

GonDragon likes this.
  2. slowcold

slowcold Pangalactic Porcupine

If people hate moving pictures .... they're missing out. Still giggling.

It's awesome.

3. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

Good news to no one in particular! I rewrote my animator, now it's much cleaner, more efficient, and modular. Unfortunately this isn't something that comes through in screenshots or video, but I'm very excited about it. It's come a long way from a messy elseif stack.

Now that that's out of the way for the foreseeable future, I can go back to making more morph effects, so you'll probably see some of those soon. I also changed the title because I'd like to use it as a progress journal of sorts, but if that's considered bad form I'll 86 it.

I'm still looking for someone who knows a lot about weapons/activeitems to pick their brain, and on the flip side if anybody has any fringe questions about the animator or status effects I'd love to try answering them.

Dragonclaw likes this.